Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Brilliant! She was excellent the first year. Great addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Deadly. This lineup is shaping up very well already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Wife brought me to Roisin Murphy set at EP couple of years back - it was good but didn't make me any more interested in her music afterwards.

I'll probably go see her though at ATN though, she obviously is held in high regard on here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Delighted! She was unreal last wkend! And that new album is perfect for festival too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

The crowd on twitter and Instagram are having a meltdown about her apparent dodgy views about trans kids, can't rightly remember but didn't she clarify these comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Fanirish

She didn’t clarify them, issued a statement saying she wasn’t going to speak on the matter further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Stillill42

She expressed concern about puberty blockers. Perfectly reasonable comments in my view but you can't open your mouth in that conversation without being eviscerated. I'm delighted to see she's been supported and got out the other side of it, managing to book gigs, sell an album etc. I'm heartened that everyone didn't just fold. Delighted she's been booked for Curraghmore and anyone who's not comfortable with that can find themselves another field to hang out in this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Delighted with that, her set last weekend in Dublin was terrific, great blend of Moloko and early Roisin stuff but the standout tracks were easily from her last 2 albums, the Koze produced tracks in particular sound terrific live and are definitely late night vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭RINO87

Can't thank this post enough! I know that everything has become more polarised but this is one area where the lack of engagement and debate is mind boggling. No debate is even considered, everyone is just shouted down or "blocked" for having an opposing view. Of all things it's an area that NEEDS informed debate.

I hope someone doesn't try make a name for themselves on stage at ATN by "calling out" Roisin on this one.

Off topic, I know, I know......

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Omg the conversation just gets shut down straight away.

Proceeds to watch the conversation not get shut down, and never get shut down.

People are allowed to think certain opinions are worthy of derision without everyone claiming they've been cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Can't people think certain opinions are worthy of derision without calling for the person who holds that opinion to be removed from the festival line up?

I don't think that's much of a contribution from a Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

don't think that was the point, iirc Roisin made a comment about puberty blockers in children (informed or ill informed) and literally within 5 mins she was being called a Terf and certain groups were calling for her music to be boycotted. Even now months after she released a statement explaining herself there are still people saying she shouldn't be playing the festival. Make it make sense to me, we live in a world where opinions aren't allowed anymore unless they conform to a pre determined acceptable view. No wonder society is so polarised

Absolutely agreed - I certainly wouldn't be calling for her or anyone else in this scenario to be getting kicked out, but if you think it's ok for her to express an opinion, then surely it's ok for someone else to express an opinion?

That's a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

Aaaaanyway, a reasonably solid headliner all the same.

But you are allowed have the opinion, what are you talking about?

As is Roisin, we are literally talking about this because she's just been announced to headline ATN, as is befitting of her from a career point of view. nothing has happened, nobody is cancelled.

Honestly, the best I can come up with here, is the certain views are considered by a large % of youngish online to be essentially **** opinions, and people can't hack being told that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Hmmm. That same luxury wasn't afforded the two speakers in 2022 who received the usual pile-on (albeit after their talk had already taken place).

As for the Murphy announcement? My mate will be delighted.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I think this is an interesting commercial decision by ATN. There are definitely people who will choose not to attend as punters and I suspect there are some artists who may also choose not to attend. Given previous comments, it is hard to imagine the likes of Denise Chaila or Pillow Queens sharing a bill. Maybe they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭crl84

No particular care for Murphy's music (it's grand I suppose) and no opinion/not enough knowledge on what she said or the ins and outs of the debate. But if some of the moany d1ckheads that are complaining about it, do in fact boycott the festival, I'm all for it. The self-righteous w@nkers need to get over themselves and grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Nightdrive

Never seen an artist get as much goodwill and good faith as Murphy giving her standing in the community pre-comments, it was only when it became clear that she was absolutely unwilling to engage with the trans community that people gave up on her. Of course people with no actual skin in the game are quick to laud her as some kind of innocent martyr instead of listening to genuine experiences from actual trans people.

Personally I'm disgusted that some of my ticket money is going to her and I'll be looking to sell, and if that makes me a "self righteous w@nker" so be it. My trans friends get far worse abuse every day and I'll show any small solidarity I can

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dunph

Murphy's comments on puberty blockers were ignorant, and she did *kind of* roll back on them and apologise for "hurt caused", but her decision to just nope out of the issue from there leaves a bad taste. She did not clarify her stance on trans rights. I dont think its comparable to the 2022 speakers, one of whom is the founder of a transphobic lobby group that supports conversion therapy and spreads lies about trans health issues, but I dont think its unreasonable or hysterical for queer people to be disappointed and questioning of her presence until and unless she does clarify her views.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dunph

And to be clear I'm not saying a discussion of puberty blockers is *automatically* ignorant, but Murphy's phrasing and language absolutely was, and the framing of trans youth as "mixed up kids" being manipulated by big pharma is a transphobic trope, whether or not she was fully aware of this is not clear.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

People are free to decide to go see her or not. Thankfully we live in a society of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I enjoyed Roisin the last few times she played, but has she risen in popularity since considering she headlined Body & Soul festival, a 5,000 capacity festival in 2022. ATN is a much bigger capacity, is she considered a headliner for ATN or a sub headliner.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭hold my beer

She absolutely packed out the Trinity gig last year. I was at her and Kraftwerk and Murphy's gig was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

😴 .........

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭RINO87

I can well see her being the Saturday main stage headline. Should be a good party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Rfrip

headliner for sure!

Advertisement