Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Saw them at Bearded Theory. They were good. Yeah, a tiny wee bit chatty, but that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Still Ill

They were alright.. Kinda like a less good Amyl and the Sniffers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Great weekend again this year. They've put together a lovely festival down there, read a good review over on the EP thread by @Fatfrog which summed it up very well, and as someone who swapped from Picnic to ATN in 2018 you'd forget how well we have it at ATN. Lots of nice food to the point I've already earmarked places for next year, excellent drink options/quality as a Guinness drinker, a beautiful site to explore, a well up-for-it crowd of mixed ages and IMO always a good lineup. Was down with a few first timers this year which maybe made me appreciate some of this stuff that we have had every year a bit more.

Got down Thursday around 8.00pm, was easy getting in and security didn't seem to care about the 24 cans rule, was surprised how busy the campsite was it seemed about half full around us anyway. Few cans in campsite and pints at KKC then bed fairly early. Friday was showered and fed by 10am but didn't go into the arena until later due to the rain. At this point I was getting worried we were in for a mucky weekend as the ground seemed soft in areas but it held up well over the weekend (not as pretty this morning). Confidence Man easily the highlight of that night - also saw bits of Fizzy Orange, Ben UFO, Kiasmos, Kolsch & Ping Pong Disco.

Saturday was a brilliant day, maybe my favourite ever at ATN. Really enjoyed every single gig we went to. Sing Along Social worked probably better on the main stage because of the screens and stage visibility compared to the Bandstand, Natasha Bedingfield surprised me how much everyone who was there enjoyed it, Le Boom as good as ever to a big crowd in SKOW, The Mary Wallopers very good, Optimo with an amazingly varied DJ set which was maybe the highlight for me, Eliza Rose who I'd no intentions of going to, KA Byrne delivers exactly what I was in the mood for at the time and then SHEE really taking me by surprise and playing a great set in SKOW. Fantastic day where everything just seemed to flow nicely.

Sunday had the better lineup for me on paper but underwhelmed a little bit, felt like I didn't take in many full sets due to overlap or not enjoying it that much, although had a really good time at Future Islands and Barry Can't Swim. Also special mention to the DJ playing the tiny little tent past the main stage in the corner, he had about 25 people dancing away and sheltering from the rain in between those gigs! The Prodigy just didn't do it for me, stayed for about 35 mins and they played a lot of good songs but don't think I was in the mood. Spent a a while wandering around before settling at Paul Kalkbrenner later.

They just can't seem to get a break with the weather aside from the first year. It was far from awful this year but yesterdays persistent drizzle was annoying. Only other negative for me was I felt a slight change in the crowd demographic - friend got something nicked, we had a lad pop his head into our tent at like 4am last night, had a few people literally push past us at some gigs, few more 'heads' around and much more big parties going on all night in the campsites than at any other. Overall the crowd is still amazing and I had way, way more great interactions with strangers over the weekend. But the first time I've had a few unpleasant experiences too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 courtneyj75

As a long time festival worker, first time festival goer ATN really blew it out of the water for me. The grounds were big enough for a good wander but not so big I felt I spent my weekend traipsing around. Found so many new favourites completely by accident. The crowd was probably the soundest i’ve ever encountered after years of working festivals, just a really good all round vibe.

Some of my highlights were Kojaque which was the main reason I bought a ticket to begin with. The man knows how to put on a show. I wasn’t familiar with Le Boom before their set but thoroughly enjoyed, same can be said for SHEE in Something Kind of Wonderful which I think was the most pleasant surprise of my weekend. The Wailers were an excellent Sunday afternoon set. Barry Can’t Swim brought such a lovely crowd energy, everyone just delighted to be there. The Prodigy weren’t on my must see list but what an incredible show, glad I decided to catch it. Also enjoyed Toshín, Jorja Smith, Natasha Bedingfield, Slowdive, Kean Kavanagh, and New Jackson.

Couple of gripes but all in all a savage weekend. Security checks were minimal, was concerned about a heavy Garda presence after reading about sniffer dogs and the whole lot last year but was much lighter this year by the looks of it. Don’t understand the confiscation of water bottles when the festival actively encouraged bringing along your reusable bottle, especially given the “it can be used as a weapon” reasoning seeing as a man ahead of me was let in with three hurls. The terrain was a bit mad. Grass was full of shockingly dangerous dips and holes, big rocks on pathways made it needlessly difficult to get around, and the walkways on exit were akin to a slip and slide. Saw a handful of people with obviously broken bones after a few very bad falls, and that was before a feed of drink. Arcadia is an unbelievable set up but could really do with being bigger, couldn’t get in any night after about 11:30 as it was full and the queues were a madness.

Special mention for the kid at the ferris wheel entertaining the queue by singing the chorus of Sweet Caroline on repeat, hope to see him booked for the Bandstand next year! Happy recovery folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Got there on Friday evening, Looking forward to KIngfishr , and holy god they didnt disappoint ! What a great band, great vocals, great musicians , tight when they have to be, loose when they wanted to be. Loved it !!!

Saturday - The National were exceptional, Arcadia was excellent - what a great spot!.

Soda Blonde, great.. Mary Wallopers .Hmmm good but not great, too much chattering about sh1te filling time.

Sunday - overall disappointing. Wailers were superb, with a great crowd watching them! "IREEEEEEEEEE-land" :)

The Scratch were excellent, massive crowd in Lovely days… Caught Tommy Tiernan, very very good.

A bit of (the very late) Dolly show, Slowdive, and the Prodigy were superb. I felt Sunday was a bit 'slow', quite a few gaps between acts (or just acts i had no interest in at all)

Schweppes bar was jumping, Abandoman was excellent.

A really great , sound crowd on Fri & Sat, but with all the drunk teenagers in around on Sunday was a bit annoying.. ( how are they allowed in?? they arent under12 or over21 ? )

Food was good (anygrub i got) was yum, but pricing is a bit ott, and cashless is a pain in the h0le.

Getting out of the place was a pain….. I went home after the Prodigy, and tried to go back in on Monday morning to collect a child and her stuff…. Its a 10 min drive to gate 3 0r 4 for me, but i spent 2.5hrs driving around whilst clueless (or plain ignorant , disinterested) stewards on gates said ' no cant come in here have to go to gate 4'…

'no we are closed, have to go to gate 1' GATE fcuking 1 !!!! on the complete opposite site of the ATN site !!!!

Guard i spoke to said it was a sh1t show, run by ATNs event 'management' …

So eventually, i told her to get on the bus , and id collect her…..

Ridiculous set up… How anyone got back in to collect their tent/kids, i wouldnt like to know.

No updates on local radio, Stewards that hadnt a flipping clue…….. A big let down after such a great weekend.

also , they need to sort out the teenagers getting in on other peoples wristbands, it was the worst ever this year……

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Boots87

I think a Glastonbury approach where you submit a photo would sort out all the trouble with people coming in on wristbands. The camper van gate anyone could’ve walked in on Sunday, a lot did

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

First time at ATN and hopefully it wont be my last, overall had a really great weekend, after being so used to EP for years it was nice to be able to get around the site quicker was great.

Arrived Friday around 2.30pm, parked up and Id say tent up by 3.30pm during a bit of rain but was fine, chilled for a bit to wait for a friend to come in then went to a small bit of Trinity Orchestra, some Declan McKenna, Dave Lofts(who played a really good set after not really knowing him), Kingfishr, Glass Beams(one of the highlights), Confidence Man, Jorja Smith. Did a bit of exploring and ended up in Ping Pong Club before having to call it a night.

Saturday was a cracking day including me getting sunburned, made it into the arena just after Sing Along Social (great way to start the day and imo should be a regular staple each year), Natasha Bedingfield (who put on a serious set and one of the highlights), Mary Wallopers (have seen them twice over the last year in Toronto but catching them at an Irish festival was the best set), The National (glorious experience to pretty much end to the man arena for the night), ended up in global roots after for a but saw some decent band but not idea who they were, went back to the tent to grab a few cans before going to Gorgon City(not really my thing as everything sounds the same to me ha). Stayed for about an hour and went to Ping Pong Club area, again once I got there my body was saying its nearly time for bed so went back to tent for a can before bed.

Sunday we knew the weather was gonna change with dark clouds so made sure to get the rain jacket out, before leaving to go in I dropped my wallet between teh toilers and my tent in Hard Days Night, went back to look for it and some angel came running after us to say she found it, so if this person is on boards thank you soo much. Anyways went in for the Scratch (as usual played a belter of a set and kudos for the guy with the spinning duck on flagpole),Murieann Bradley(really good), went to the well to chill, grab food and wait for the Dolly Parton tribute (was delayed again but such a fun set, and she really sounded like her), Future Islands were next for the last bit of their set(sounded great), NewDad (really good, kinda reminded me a bit of Wolf Alice, although feel bad as i used their set to take a quick powernap), Barry Can't Swim(never really heard of him but a decent set) Prodigy were the final act of the weekend for me (decent set again but did they finish 15mins earlier? the schedule had them over at 12.15 but they were done by 12am). Did some final walking around ended up at the comedy tent which was playing noughties bangers for a while which was great and once again ended up at Ping Pong Club.

Monday, we woke at about 7am and started packing to hit the road, campsite still fairly quit and not many leaving at that stage.

Overall great festival but the following were my only small issues

1. Sound on the Lovely Days stage wasnt great, during Confidence Man they sounded great but didnt seem loud enough while I could hear the noise bleed from the AVA stage, same with The Scratch felt lack of bass for some reason wasnt projected. While I walked passed any of the DJ sets it seemed to way louder.
    2. Personally i think there should be a few toilets to left or right of the Main Stage, I know there are some at the top of the hill but after a busy set at the stage it was hectic using the toilers, the urinals you had to enter/leave through the same area which was jammers.
    3. The big gaps between artists on the main stage was kinda annoying, they could add a few more acts there and still allow for a 45min changeover(I know it wasn't every act)
    4. Opening stages a bit earlier on Sat/Sun

If I'm going next year I'll definately be going back to posh camping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

No no that was Paul Brady that they flashed up on to the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Oisin1001

Dunno if anyone else caught them but Trá Pháidín on the Global Roots stage on Sunday night were phenomenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nux_BlackThumb

That spinning duck 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 festivalhun

Apparently ATN take 20% from the food vendors. So they need to add that on top of their prices, to ensure they don’t lose money. Otherwise it wouldn’t make sense for them to be there, especially the smaller independent vendors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Fanirish

yeah most festivals in europe take the same, trade off with a lower pitch fee than they would charge if didn’t take %

• Registered Users Posts: 19 festivalhun

We were hoping to get back to boutique camping Monday morning (even though this years policy was no pick up or drop off on site Monday!). They stuck to their policy, we couldn’t access the site and had to walk from boutique through multiple carpark to get to the bus stop.

I agree with previous posts here, we noticed a lot of teenagers on the Saturday and Sunday around general. Saw some groups being approached by Garda, not sure if they get ID’d or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭kg703

ENjoyed a well needed 12 hour sleep. Overall this was prob my least favourite ATN but the best organised one?

Music wise ended up a little lacklustre. Nothing really blew my mind, there were plenty I really enjoyed (OTA, talking heads, KKC) future islands didn't sound great but I enjoyed it anyway. Left the prodigy after smack my bitch up because my feet were in too much pain to continue ha!

The biggest issue I had was the crowd. **** me the amount of ignorant teenagers/young people was tripled this year. I came down Thursday and camped near enough the entrance to the arena. Seemed like nice people around. Wouldn't camp in Jimmy hendrix for EP but hadn't seen that at ATN but oh was i wrong. Several marquees beside us. One had a paddling pool and a massive amp sized speaker and blared it day and all night. Especially for 4am karaoke. Or nonsense techno. Loads around us including us complained to security since they should have that speaker or the amp. Eventually some of ours went over at 5am and they argued but did turn it down.

Sadly 4 replacements popped up in their place and we just got blasted by Dheads from every direction. My friends chairs got stolen but recovered when we confronted the culprits. They were vomiting and falling all over our tents each night. So just felt very unsafe.

On the plus side getting woken again by pounding techno right by my head yesterday morning at 5am meant I was home, showered and reunited with my dog by 9.30am. Personal best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Jaysus Kg. That's the first I've heard of that sort of carry on at ATN. Bad news for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There was a ring of tents doing similar last year, near where a hard days night and both sides now campsites meet.

Thankfully we were well away from all that in the old persons corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭kg703

Dont camp near the entrances! When I got up yesterday at 5 on the other side on my walk to the loo, there was also some tracksuit bstards sitting in their marquee blaring out some whistle dance song and two finger whistling along with it. Felt sorry for his neighbours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭crl84

ATN can barely organise an Instagram post on time, a trip to the moon would be more achievable than something like that!

Agree with the campervan gate thing though, you can go straight down into the campervan field and One For The Road campsite without a wristband. Wristband hut and first check was setup on the path further down where BaseCamp/This Must Be The Place was. Serious security flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Boots87

Thats very true 😂

I stick to 'older person's corner'. Can we have a special area roped off next year, called that? You need to be, say, over 50, to get in (I'm 54!). We could sit around and gently gurn together?! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Chuckling away at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭enricoh

Seen a fast food vendor on Twitter a while ago saying they wouldn't be back to either electric picnic or atn , can't remember which.

No cash allowed, rent the pitch, had to rent card terminals from festival and festival takes 30% of the total!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Sounds great! As all the campsites are named after songs, the aul fella campsite could be called "waitin' around to die" (Townes Van Zandt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Fanirish

yeah heard similar from other vendors. Festivals say they bring captive audience and realistically it’s on food vendor %, bar % and sponsorships that EP and ATN make their profits. They lose money on ticket venue versus costs situation

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Confidence Man just announced an Olympia show for - 10th of December

• Advertisement

It's funny reading what people went to, so far, & reading what I enjoyed/saw. Almost mutually exclusive to some of the acts seen by posters above. But that is the wonder of festivals.

Fri - loved First class + Coach, down on The Well stage. Glass Beams I enjoyed much more than anticipated - just plain weird stuff! (had streamed some of their stuff - wasn't that impressed). The Murder Capital were good in The Circle (but was stuffed, & it felt like they were 'too big' an act for there). I always feel a little scared of the lead singer!! He has a menacing presence of stage. First saw them at the Other voices stage at EP a few years ago - he leant into the crowd from the amps at the front! But a great sound. Highlight of the night was the euphoric Kiasmos in SKOW. Spine tingling electronica.

Sat - loved Glasshouse Ensemble at Lovely Days - nice gentle start to the day. Overhead, The Albatross - impressed me greatly in SKOW. Was thinking to myself that 'post-rock' is possibly my 2nd or 3rd favourite genre - shoegaze tops, I'm afraid, lords & ladies. They were a revelation to me, & perhaps best on Sat. Hak Baker was very, very entertaining! I love his whole story. He has quite the back story. I see others on the WhatsApp met him & found him to be a nice lad. I'd seem Ezra Williams before, as Smooth Boi Ezra, so went to The circle for that (at same time as the Wallopers) - small crowd, but I have to say, extremely mellow & tuneful stuff. They were well aware that competing with the main stage, & acknowledged it! Chalk were on after at The Circle. Seems a big hype about them in parts. The lead singer has a bit of the menacing, Murder Capital lead singer vibes about him. Also, just downright weird & wired! But an enjoyable set. Glad I went. The National - well, my second try. Went to see them at Bearded Theory. I think I must have a highly down regulated 'The National' receptor in my brain! I just can't get it! I want to like them. I love morbid, morose-ness - I'm a big Smiths/Morrissey fan. But, I just couldn't click. Glad to see lots enjoy them, but nah, not for me. Floating Points was also very good. Not quite Kiasmos level euphoria, but I came away happy & content, heading to me bed (as an ould boy - c. 2330h!; I'd had a late night at Kiasmos the night before - 0100h!).

Sun - very busy. Mary in the Junkyard at Lovely Days were excellent. Indie guitar sound & loud. Beach fossils at same stage had an improbable story of lost gear, missed flight, new pedals bought (on a Sunday!) & new guitars. But, I really liked them. Never heard of them before ATN 2024. Love their sound. It seems most bands I like require at least 3 guitars (Kiasmos & Floating Points maybe excepted!) - indeed, Slowdive had 4 at one point (Rachel goswell played for a few tunes)! They make well produced, tight, indie noise. Oh, & for anyone there, it was one of the lads' birthday. You'll know what I mean if you were there. Oxn in SKOW were interesting. Kinda Lankum-like a bit. Reminded me a wee bit of Black Country, New Road a little, too. Glad I went. not entirely my thing, but enjoyed. Just Mustard in The Circle were really excellent. Really interesting sound. Lots of guitar. Lots of screeching, squealing guitar. Big, buzzing crowd, too. Straight to Slowdive then, in SKOW. Big fan. Remember being mesmerized by their debut album, back in the day. It is still about the house somewhere, on vinyl. A beautiful, otherworldly thing. Their post-reunification albums are very good. In particular, the eponymous one was superb. To me, one of the best comeback albums ever. Better that Ride, who had one at around same time. The set in SKOW was good, yes, but it felt a little flat to me. I thought perhaps the sound was not as good as could have been? Bit distorted. Struggling with it. Ultimately, came away feeling I'd been in the presence of greatness, enjoyed the tunes but I felt a little 'flat'. But, that's ok! I popped over to the Prodigy before heading home. I do love The Prodigy. But their schtick is wearing a little thin. The whole 'all my warriors' narrative I've heard them at before. Kinda a pain in the whatever, truth be told! Tunes are quite good. But feel like I was seeing a band from my youth one last time. Saw an 'older guy' with a nice Prodigy t-shirt, recounting how they were the first band he went to in 1994, age 16! Made me feel old - I was 24 & working as a doctor at that point! But I was genuinely happy for him. Stone Roses have that effect on me. And happy for all those who enjoyed it. Genuinely.

As always, loved being away. Always go on my own; no-one in the family will go with me! Great break. Love the food, love a few cups of coffee. Enjoyed the WhatsApp this year!

Martin

Advertisement