Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Beetle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen it. Never even knew about it till recently. Very enjoyable. Some very cool credits at the beginning very arty. A good crowd in the cinema too. Some funny moments in it too. There is a mid credits scene after the end of the film. Do not need to stay long to see it. It deserves to do well.

Also there us a scene at the end of the credits but nothing that needs to be scene just tge CH thing. You will understand what that means after you see the film. It's funny do well what it says.

I would give it 8 out of 10.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh excellent!

I am heading tomorrow morning looking forward to it now the trailer looked fun alright!

Just out of it really enjoyed it.

A good one to see on the big screen, IMAX if possible.

Xolo Mariduena is terrific and really charming as the lead, the whole family are fun. Susan sarandon chewing the scenery ha.

I am guessing he is to a degree a DC version of spiderman?

Right down to the death of his father (a bit like uncle Ben) being a big transformer in his life.

As usual big CGI punching match to end things but it's not badly done.

Mid credit scene worth staying for end one not.

The synthy (very stranger things) score was ace too.

I would happily watch more of this character and his family. Shame box office wise hit looking that great.

8/10 seems about right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this is a decent review, spoilerish free for the first 15min and gets into a bit of the comic book history going back to the 1940's, he thought it was better than WW1984, Birds of Prey and Fury of the Gods

Dont get the impression its going to do well though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ms

WW1984, Birds of Prey and Fury of the Gods

It's definitely better than Birds of Prey and Fury of the Gods but IMHO not better that WW1984 but not far behind it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I did not release it was getting a cinema release thought straight to streaming on HBO Max

I hope it does well money wise for DC, they need a hit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

$25 million opening weekend in the US ... not sure if that's above or below projections; outlets are reporting it as a bit of an underwhelming haul, but word-of-mouth has been positive so that might give it some decent legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Caught it yesterday, and it was good fun, full of heart and action.

Xolo was a hero you wanted to get behind, action was satisfying and punchy, even if it did

Turn into a CG puch and laser up bwith a villain who had the same powerset as Blule Beetle - ala Iron Man, Captain America, Incredible hulk, Man of Steel, Aquaman, Black Panther..........

Plus side, who doesn;t want o see Nan firing a minigun screamin 'Death to Imperialists"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Just saw it today,enjoyable with an amble amount of cheese! Nice plot line and Jaime Reyes was a very likeable character. Would hope to see a sequel or BB to feature in more DC movies going forward

Ms

Seriesly thinking of going to see this for a second time. I could have enjoyed it more the first time except for some rude little brats sitting behind me making noise and turning on phone lights.

Definitely going to see it a second time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Ms

Ye I really enjoyed it. It's a fun movie. Think of it as a Latin Iron Man film. I actually think Blue Beetle is more plausible than a man putting a generator in his chest lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Saw it yesterday with my niece and nephew. We all loved it but my niece most of all.

I prefer superheroes keeping it secret, especially from their family, (disappointed the MCU has almost everything public knowledge, one of the big complaints for the Arrowverse too) but for this (like with Ms Marvel) including the family was great idea. And no estrangements or long held resentments or any of that overused stuff. Showing Jenny Kord as a capable adventurer herself and bringing the romance in later was refreshing. And being a Latino in America aspect was also nicely done - not hammered in but just matter of fact. Like Rudy’s statement about how the powers that be would react to a Mexican kid having this power.

Crying shame the cast didn’t get the chance for a press tour, red carpet, etc.

I really hope we get sequels and for it to really be included in the new DCU.

its looking like a flop, barely cracked 50m worldwide since release ( I assume doesnt include Friday) , it doesnt seem like the kind of movie that would have legs

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wouldn't be too surprised if it hangs around for a wee while yet, with its strong critic and audience responses.

I really wish distributors would go for cleverer release strategies with decent movies though. Things like this and Dungeons & Dragons really need smaller initial releases to get a bit of audience buzz going, before going wider, instead of starting with a bang and scaling down quickly.

I think studios take a bigger cut of opening weekend hence they push hard at the start. But I agree.

Enjoyed dungeons and dragons and this a lot.

I thought that it was better than anything Marvel have put on the big screen in years, at this stage. So yeah, thought it was good enough

9 year old boy? He bloody loved it

I believe it only had a 47% drop this weekend, which would normally be very positive, so it could hang around a bit but at the same time schools are back but the film will still be hampered because, unknown character, no big name actors and the fact that it is DCU, a brand not really on the up and up these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had to laugh at an ad I saw on Facebook suggesting people see it again while it's still in the cinema. So they've just given up on people seeing it a first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Some good news - James Gunn has finally said that Maridueña’s will continue as the Blue Beetle in the DCU. A sequel is probably a long way off but hopefully he will be in couple of the upcoming films.

Hopefully if there is a sequel down line with the Reyes family too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement