Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molly Malone's breasts: Please stop telling tourists it is tradition to rub and grope them

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

OP is trolling obviously, or else is just a bellend 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Folks, leave out the personal attacks on the op and any other posters please. If you can't counter an argument without stooping to abuse, a discussion site is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a statue of a fictional character associated with Dublin. It's absolutely not a is a symbolic reference to all women. It commemorates the millennium of the city. There are many similar figures around, and they collectively represent Ireland culturally to our visitors.

I think the fact you are ok with vandalism of a piece of artwork is far worse than tourist engaging in a harmless superstition. Nobody who does that to an inanimate object, is under the illusion that it makes it ok to grope a person.

The Molly statue goes back to '88. But the tradition of rubbing statues is much older going back 100s of years. There's a Juliette statue in Verona that gets the same treatment. The Wall St Bull's balls. Or look at St Peter's foot at the Vatican, this may look like a boot, but originally it was sandals and individual toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think it has been shown beyond reasonable doubt that yes we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Eh yeah we are, just ones with bigger brains that make us think we are some form of higher enlightened species. We are a few steps removed from **** slinging apes.

Post edited by batman_oh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Another famous fondling of a fictional female takes place "in fair Verona" - the bauld Juliet herself is on display, and yes, tourists line up to caress her breast

Having cosseted the bosoms of both statues in my time, I'm not biased when I state - our own Molly has the best pair, no doubt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It kind of is a tradition now though. This is how traditions start.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I thought we left Catholic prudishness behind us, seems not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I assume by lads that you mean both fellas & girlies?

I don't see anything wrong at all with it and having met the woman who crafted it, I very much doubt she would either. Though she's passed on since and up there with Molly herself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It is Catholic Prudishness to ask people to stop rubbing the breasts of a statue? I would have thought more of a standard norm tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

No but it is ridiculous to assume or insinuate that people who partake in this lighthearted tradition are sex pests or see women as nothing but sexual objects.

In your opinion that is. In my opinion, I think people initially (and I get it, they are encouraged by the leader of their tour etc) see it as something lighthearted and nothing more.

I thought that by opening this discussion it might get people (men?) thinking about it a little more. And maybe considering how other people/women feel about it. And maybe would consider, hey if women (or a random poster on boards) don't like it, do we need to do this going forward?

Lol. Lofty aspiration on my part I guess :( Instead I got a big load of After Hours style postings and slaggings. Well that shows me, I guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Any news yet on the perpetrators of the paint attack?

Some 'activists' or just vandals?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

"I thought that by opening this discussion it might get people (men?) thinking about it a little more. And maybe considering how other people/women feel about it. And maybe would consider, hey if women (or a random poster on boards) don't like it, do we need to do this going forward?

With all due respect, it's hardly sexual groping. And a lot of your posts here have been exceptionally hyperbolic.

I see you draw a difference between men and women in your post. That opens a few questions.

Do you think that it is only men that do this? If a woman does it, does it make it less offensive?

I know, it's become trite at this stage, but when you specifically mention men and women as different, it is important that you can explain what you consider the difference to be. Are you talking about biological males and females or people who identify as one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

You should get consent from the statue first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I've seen more women tourists do it than men in my time walking past, but either way it's a fairly sad thing to be offended by

Actually that is a good question! You are right, I mention men, that was my bias coming out!!!!!  

On consideration, putting my bias aside, I don't like anyone rubbing and groping the statues breasts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I hope the relevant authorities are keeping abreast of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Far bigger fish to fry in Dublin

It’s a piece of metal representative of someone who never existed and it’s pretty much only done by tourists who aren’t going to be reading this board anyway.

In other words, give over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

To complicate matters further, in 2010, an earlier mention of Molly Malone was found in an 18th-century book of songs called Apollo’s Medley, printed in England in 1790. This more risqué version describes Molly as living in Howth, a fishing village northeast of Dublin. It recounts the singer’s yearning to share her bed, contributing to widespread speculation that the song’s leading lady worked as both a street vendor and a prostitute.

Sure she probably wanted people to grope them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Don’t have any issue with it, and I’m female.

OP - Is it the part of the statue that bothers you specifically, or would you be equally put out if it was her feet people were touching?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I wonder if people were encouraged to fondle Daniel or Philo in the genital area , would there be any reaction negative or otherwise , seeing as they are only statues as well , albeit statues of formerly real people ?

It's all reductive silliness really ..but I am curious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Its only a tradition for tourists. Its not a local tradition.

Well excuse me for not wanting to look at two shiny orbs which points out clearly what the maulers targets for groping and rubbing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Presumably there’d be reaction from the usual perpetually offended

Normal people though? No I don’t think they could care less

It is that her breasts are being groped.

I have the same issue with the Juliet statue (representing a 13 year old girl ffs!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I suppose you’d have a heart attack on a topless beach. Boobs are just boobs ffs.

Nope. I love a topless beach. And I love boobs. My boobs and other boobs. Fine, boobs are just boobs. Mauling boobs, that is a different story.

I would have thought it was clear from all my posts in this conversation I have a problem with the boobs on this statue being rubbed and groped that they are now shiny and a different colour from the rest of the statue.

Can't we just look at a statue and admire it and the story rather than grabbing at it because it has breasts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Until today I had no idea Mollys orbs were getting regularly polished by tourists

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement