Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molly Malone's breasts: Please stop telling tourists it is tradition to rub and grope them

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You know what's great? Freedom.

You are free to not look at them. I'm unaware of anyone putting a gun to your head to compel you to look at them.

What's more, it's an inanimate object. A representation of a fictional person. No one was harmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's harmless fun for tourists, a novelty, a photo op & a growing tradition for visitors to the city. There's nothing sexual about it to anyone except by those that want to be offended or are simply reading way too much in to the harmless touching of an inanimate object. Nobody is getting sexual gratification out of it and nobody will be encouraged to commit sexual offences from it.

Ever.

Vandalism of our cities sculptures however, or indeed any vandalism should be condemned, not supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

There's nothing sexual about rubbing a replica of female sexual anatomy? Clearly I would beg to differ.

I agree with your point to an extent about vandalism. For example those climate change protestors throwing paint over works of art. I am not for this. But black pain on the Molly Malone statue....paint that can be removed without damage to her....paint that brought this conversation to a fore....I am okay with that.

Rubbing and groping leaving her with two golden balls on her chest. That I am not okay with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It’s a statue of a fictitious character, not a living her.

Physical touch is not always shameful and unwanted - sometimes it’s welcome and celebrated you know????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Me too.

The only thing I would be offended by is thinking of all sweaty, unwashed pi§sy hands that rubbed it before I did 😷

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,915 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was trying to find some old archival footage of Dublin from the 90s and happened across a nice shot of herself, with no polished top half.

This is from 1999.

32 minutes and 25 seconds here. The shot actually starts as an extreme closeup on this very section.

Screenshot here:

So that's 1988 to 1999 with no 'traditional rubbing'.

April 2017 is the earliest Google Maps streetview shot of her at her new location, definitely lot of rubbing been going on up till that point:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

And all the lads that have pulled the Mickey off themselves beforehand thinking about it. Cos it's obviously a sexual act

• Registered Users Posts: 34,915 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always think posts like this inadvertently give an amazing insight into the mind of the person who posted them.

Never in a million years would I have ever even considered people rubbing an inanimate statue a 'sexual act'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

I agree. But this is what people in this thread have said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭sniperman

Molly Malone's breasts: Please stop telling tourists it is tradition to rub and grope them

probably the firmest ones they'll get their hands on over here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

I always think posts like this inadvertently give an amazing insight at how low the batteries in the poster's sarcasm detector must have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Personal Jibes against the op (me)

Admin, please can we close this thread. I guess it has "Run it's course" aka some posters don't know how to discuss something without making personal comments and jibes at the op. Felt like I posted in After Hours rather than Dublin forum!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement