Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter McVerry Trust has 'financial issues'.

1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I couldn't picture mcverry in my head. You could show me a photo of a random bloke in his 70s and tell me it was him and I'd be none the wiser and I suspect more than 90% of people in general would be the same. I don't think it's sensible to compare him to 'celeb' priests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

What? You couldn't move without seeing him on the telly or in the papers for years, was always front and centre calling for more funding.

Completely disappeared now as have all the others while under investigation as probably advised by their legal teams. Doubt there's any vow of poverty when it comes to legal representation either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Even the two you have referenced had very different moral issues.

To try to place them in any context relating to Fr. McVerry is wide of the mark.

Vanity is not one of the seven deadly sins for a good reason.

It is part of the human condition and exists in us all to one degree or another.

I'd forgive him if a hint of vanity existed in his public appearances because his message was consistent and clear.

He cared for the poor and dispossessed.

He's not actually Chair of the Trust but that's not a cop out. He is Company Secretary and has responsibilities which he answerable for.

You've put your finger on it.

"Always front and centre calling for more funding".

Exactly, looking for more money to help others.

I'm not aware of any avoidance of responsibility on the part of Fr. McVerry.

I assume he has taken legal advice which of course he is unable to pay for due to his vow of poverty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Company Secretary is the most onerous position as, that carries legal responsibilities.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

Nobody should consider taking the position without suitable qualifications.

It's more understanding what the role and responsibilities it entails. Any accountant or solr can outline to a person exactly what's involved.

BTW, ignorance of the law, is no defence for a Company Director or Secretary.

Definitely not to be taken lightly.

I don't know if Fr.McVerry has the relevant experience but it does seem a strange fit for an elderly cleric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

There are supposed to be 500 approved housing bodies - does it seem like a lot? Is there a benefit to these operating in a market that already has X number of local authorities staffed to service housing needs? Is there inefficiency in tax payers money going into the hands of all these bodies who have in some cases questionable procurement practises?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

of course - but the government have always been content to subcontract out stuff like this, it means they can cut the purse strings on a whim.

one example i always go back to was a colleague's wife who was let go from an NGO after the government cut their funding by nearly 90% during the crash - the NGO was providing services the HSE should have been providing, but wasn't; but the government wouldn't have simply been able to turn that tap off had she (and her colleagues) been government employed staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Company Secretary has significant responsibility for ensuring companies act legally. Given what has happened, it will be surprising if he isn't banned from acting as a Company Secretary in the future.

Of the seven deadly sins, his actions as leader of the Trust, probably include greed, sloth and pride.

He might have cared for the poor and dispossessed, but under his stewardship as founder, later CEO and Chair, then Company Secretary, the organisation has failed in its remit.

I warned about this particular organisation several years ago. I had particular experience of its incompetence on a number of occasions.

I agree he may well end up being barred from even serving as a board member. It's fairly academic given that he is 80.

It won't come as a surprise to you that I reject your attempt to paint him as a sinner.

Nobody could excuse some of the poor corporate governance that has come to light.

However over the years he worked hard and did a lot of good work.

I acknowledge that there were problems in the past which affected neighbours etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"a few bad eggs" 🙄 the charity sector in Ireland is rotten. Scandal after scandal. Then there's the incomprehensible level of duplication - hundreds of housing bodies for instance. At best, highly inefficient, at worst just a means of squeezing more snouts into the trough of public money because they're significantly or almost entirely funded by taxation

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Many of them are disability support organisations who have to be registered as AHBs in order to provide rental accommodation to clients for whom private sector rentals aren't suitable.

Some are co-operative societies who are be nature small but don't have high overheads.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I never could stand the sight of Fr McVerry preaching and looking for funding. Just don't like him but he appears to be a simple man and I'm sure he is horrified that there are people in the charity fiddling money. Clearly it has got so big that the man himself has little control or knowledge of its workings at this stage.

Even if you think that a lot of charities are not worthy of support with a little effort you can easily identify a couple that are well run.

It might be someone local who is doing good work in the community or a national organisation that publishes accounts annually and can demonstrate good governance.

They are there it's just a matter of picking one and donating a little.

You do realise that you are criticising a priest for preaching.

It's literally in the job description.

He never took a penny from any funds donated.

I didn't say he did. I stated that he is a simple man and that basically it appears that the organisation has overtaken him.

He has done alot of good work, lives in a tiny council flat and is clearly not in it for money

Fair enough, I think we are in agreement about the money side of things but preaching is a priest's job.

• Advertisement

To be honest if I want to hear preaching, I will go to church. I don't want to be listening to priests popping up on political programmes.

Yes, his version of the church is more of the street and in your face than liturgical.

Not for everyone and some see him as something of a "turbulent" priest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…maybe folks such as himself do so due to major state failures in meeting the needs of some citizens, in particular their housing and health care needs!

Advertisement