Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of changing from Vodafone

• 17-08-2023 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've been using Vodafone broadband and landline from day one when they took over the broadband from whoever it was, I think it used to be BT Ireland.

Anyway I started a contract with them last year in October or November. The contract was supposed to be me paying 40 euros a month for broadband and calls(it's fttc 48 meg by the way). Anyway right after I joined they sent me a text which I never noticed saying they were upping the charge to 45 a month. So I rang them up explaining that I never even noticed the bloody text and had just assumed it was informing me I'd started a contract with them. So then they agreed ok we'll do it for 40. So I thought that would be the end of it.

So I look at my bank account a couple of months later and notice Vodafone have jacked the price back up to 45 and have taken 45 off me again. I ring up to complain and tell them I agreed to 40 and they say "oh sorry that was a mistake" bla bla bla and the same thing happens again the next bill is 40 and the next bill after that is 45 again. So I ring up again and well you can see the pattern here and that happened constantly throughout the year and I rang up to complain and get it changed back at least 6 times I reckon.

The last time I rang about it yesterday and my broadband was out for the day they were having some outage and I didn't use my angry voice or complain, I just asked them why I'm now being charged 45, they said 45 is the price and it's discounted from 55 so rather than explain everything all over again for the 6th or 7th time I asked when it's gone out of contract and said I'll be looking for alternatives. My contract is up around end of October I think anyway.

That's my experience with them and why I've decided to leave them. There are cheaper alternatives out there. I should be able to get it for 35 with other companies. I do need broadband and calls though.

Anyway my question is when you go with another company for a year do they offer you a discount at the end or do they just jack up the price and say nothing with you ending up having to change to another company?

I was thinking of a couple of companies and was afraid I'd end up paying more in the long run if every company just jacks up the price. I know Eir do it for 35 for the first year but then the standard price seems to be 65 which is way too expensive.

So I wanted to ask that when it comes to the end of your contract does the broadband company ring you up to offer a new contract or do they try screw you with their standard price and you have to change to another company?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

They don't actively ring you and say they're going up in price, it's a business and they want to make as much money as they can. Vodafone have started new plans where the price plan cost stays the same for new/existing customers but it does rise by CPI +3% each year- something new Vodafone and Eir have started doing in recent months.

That said I'm jaded from Vodafone and went with Digiweb. Yes their price goes up but their customer support should you need it is lightyears ahead of Vodafone, Eir and Pure. If you're using FTTC I think Digiweb still have a plan for 34.99 per month with unlimited landline and mobiles which is very good value and better modem than Vodafones.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Having exactly the same problem with Vodafone at the moment. Recontracted with them back in February for €51 p/m, then in April the bill started sneaking up. Rang them up again, and was told that the last rep screwed up the recontract, but it was fixed. Over the summer, the bills started sneaking up again so called them last month. Again, I was told, the last rep messed up but I should be good going forward. This month's bill is €69! Actually beyond a joke. I've been dealing with a rep on Twitter who told me that the "old pricing structure" no longer applies, so there's nothing I can do. I reminded him I agreed a contract with him for 12 months, so how can Vodafone unilaterally change the terms of the contract without my agreement, and he just said he'll refer to their billing dept. Shambolic. Such a shame too as the actual service has been flawless, I don't think we had a single outage. Looking at Digiweb or Pure right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am shifting from Vodafone specifically over the 3% plus CofL uplift every year. That is price gauging - pure and simple.

Totally unjustified.

Advertisement