Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Increment Pay

• 17-08-2023 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hello

I am asking this question on behalf of my partner who is a secondary school teacher.

My partner started to teach 10 years ago (Sept 2013) as a secondary teacher. She taught for 2 years on department pay in public school before switching to a private school which payed via the school. Last year she was asked by school to move back to department pay ( probably to save money as experienced teacher now). She was on salary scale 9 when she finished ( we think now this may have been wrong) .

She switched back to department pay in September 2022 and went back on scale 10. She rang depratment and they confirmed she has missed her skip years and should now be on scale 13. She was told she could not be changed in 2022 as she had missed her increment date and was not possible to just change. Her changes would come into effect in 2023 in September. She has now confirmed with department that she will move from scale 10 to 14 in september 2023.

My question is if she can request backpay for 2022 as she was supposed to be on scale 13 but she was actually on 10 as they could not apply a change at the time.

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 inbetweentea

Yes to the best of my knowledge I think she would be eligible for back pay for the year or two she was not on the correct payscale, if the Increments Department of Payroll deem that she is in fact meant to be on a higher paypoint. I presume she has filled in the incremental credit forms and gotten her former school management to sign and stamp them? I have heard this can take a very long time for that department to process, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pat201

Hi @inbetweentea

When she was transferring over from Private school pay to department pay she filled in forms with how many years she was teaching. The Private school payed in line with department pay or so they should have. Department placed her on Scale 13 but this later came to be proven as wrong scale level as she was not given any of her skip years. She has been teaching full time since 2013 in irish so has enough hours done. AT time department said they could not just move her on scale as increment date had passed and they only did changes on increment dates. She will now move from scale 10 to 14 in september.

Department payroll said there will be no backpay and she will just move to point 14 but for me this can be contested as either department or school has placed her on wrong scale. She supplied form with relevant years of teaching (2013 -2022). This is quite a lot of money so she will be getting assistance from union on this.

On a side note she has now discovered that school was not in line with department pay also. In her contract it says they will match department payscale. Thats another upcoming fight.

My partner is a great teacher but not the best at keeping on top of the financial aspects :)

Advertisement