Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topper speed

Options
  • 17-08-2023 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do ye lads run your topper at slower revs when running over light cover? I have mine at 540 but surely thats a bit of a waste of fuel when cutting a llght field?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have you a 540E on the PTO? You could also just let the revs down a bit and go to a higher forward gear.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

As said, 540E is ideal for a topper in a light crop. I've even used the 1000 rpm setting when topping light stuff, with the tractor just revved enough to give 540 rpm at the shaft. Something around 1200 engine rpm, from memory....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mr..

Be careful topping in 1000 speed, there wont be enough torque to break the shear bolt if you hit a foreign object, no problem if you know the ground though.

Advertisement