Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been away in Canada the last 12 months. I’ve signed a subbing contract until Christmas

Options
  • 17-08-2023 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was teaching in Canada for the last year. I have just returned to Ireland and have signed a contract to cover a parental leave. The contract is until Christmas.

My question is will my pay be delayed at the beginning? I remember 7 years ago when I got my first teaching position I was waiting two months to get paid. I signed the contract at the end of June.

Also this is the first time I have subbed, all my other positions were fixed terms. Is the subbing rate a flat rate or does the increment come in to play? Thanks for any and all help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

The time of pay will depend on the school and how quickly they set you up on the system. It should hopefully be quicker if you already are set up on the system

Your best bet is to check out asti and tui for exact info on increments and salary.

The rate will depend on whether contract is considered casual or non casual part time. Casual is a set hourly rate and the non casual depends on your point on the scale.

I definitely looked into a carers leave contract and I would have been getting paid the lower subbing rate than I had been paid when I covered a maternity leave in the same school but it depends on hours etc.

You can gain half an increment for every 300 hours or one increment for every 600 hours you do in the same school. It can be tricky to get to 600 if not full time for the year. They carry over but anything over 600 doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Thanks for your response. I am actually a primary school teacher so some of that doesn’t pertain to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Then none of its probably relevant, whoops 🤣 Into probably have similar info. I think primary is better for increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

As it's primary, the school must input your days worked into the OLCS, usually weekly or fortnightly. 5pm on the Friday after each payday is the closing date for the next payday.

Say you work 30/8,31/8 and 01/09, and the school inputs that on 01/09 (31/08 is a payday) you'll get paid for those 3 days on Thursday 14th, then for days school is open after that.

A casual sub gets paid standard daily rate. A non casual sub at personal rate. Not casual is automatic after 40 days per academic year, or from start for certain contracts eg maternity. Not sure about parental tbh, you'd need check with INTO.

Advertisement