Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car usage drops by 1% in over a decade

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The Car is worth money after 5 years, maybe have devalued by €20,000. This is where I derived by value from.

As mentioned by a previous poster the metropolitan areas are a bit different and it depends on how far you go out. I still think you are correct however.

Yup. But it wont happen any time soon (or ever) we haven't even started the metro. I was reading about the rolling stock config for the metro and they're not going to be double stacked and the platform length is only going to me 65m.

For reference the DART plat form is about 170m and a standard S-Bahn platform is 100m (with double deck rolling stock possible)

More mistakes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Thats like it is for me. USe a car only when needed. A few trips that i have to make that are easily doable with public transport. And the rest are a total disaster. I sold my car thinking i would just use public transport and make it work. But its been a total nightmare for most trips trying to get them done on public transport. Now I borrow the wifes car all the time. Borrow the neighbours when thats not available. Will in the end have to get my own car again.

Give me public transport options and i wont need the car. but i still need a car for most trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

More mistakes....

Metrolink is up to 30 trains per direction per hour though, IIRC, and fully automated.

That picture is an S-Bahn train which is heavy rail. That's not going to fit through a U-Bahn (metro) tunnel. Bigger tunnels means a large increase in costs for capacity which isn't needed. Building more lines instead would be a much better use of funds.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Timing belt

A more frequent service with multiple lines certainly would make public transport more attractive than a infrequent service carrying more passengers

I did read the number 30 in frequency but it did not say 30 of what.

30 secs is impressive if it's pulled off.

Aye it's an S-Bahn, but may of them go underground as the approach the various city centres. Milan has a similar type of double deck under ground train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

30 seconds?? 30 trains per hour is one every 2 minutes (at peak times)

High frequency is much more important than making each individual train bigger.

Yes you can put heavy rail underground but it costs a lot more per km than a metro. It's not at all comparable to Metrolink - much longer distances, fewer stations, less frequency.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement