Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing Next-Gen Xbox solely for Starfield am I nuts?

Options
  • 18-08-2023 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

I'm a PS5 owner and have the older Xbox One on layaway.

As a Bethesda fan, I'm obviously quite interested in the upcoming Starfield release.

I'm contemplating picking up a Series S solely to get my hands on this game.

I know that I technically would be able to stream the game to the older Xbox One upon release but for a next-gen "experience" am I nuts buying a newer Xbox ?

Anyone regret buying the S over the Series X?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wait for the reviews of the game and Digital Foundry tech review.

Todd Howard plays the game on Series S, according to some interview he did, so it looks like it'll run well there, plus MS would be absolute dopes if it didn't.

Also, you can get Series S really cheap sometimes on Amazon new and refurbed.

Disclaimer: I have a SX.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes you are, buying a console for 1 game is nuts. I'll be buying a series x at some point but I'll wait till it has a few games that I want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

I bought a switch for BOTW and thought it was well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

Don't think it's nuts. The Series S is cheap and works well enough, and if you get Starfield on Gamepass you would have access to tons of other games to play in-between.

Bethesda games are usually relatively great but buggy on launch, I think only Fallout 76 was a bit of a dud, and even that got fixed pretty well.

I bought a Series S 'just because' as well, I use it as a media centre, some Free2Play games, some GamePass games. It's been an excellent investment even though I don't play it that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting an Xbox also means you can play the greatest action game ever created, Ninja Gaiden Black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you're getting it and buying Starfield, yes, waste for 1 game. But if you're getting it and Gamepass (with the current not-as-good-but-still-pretty-good upgrade deal) then you're getting a lot more. I have the SX and GP covered until near the end of 2025, and while I rarely play it (mostly due to controller, I dislike it greatly compared to the DualSense) it's grand to have for console specific games, of which I'm sure there will be a few to come even after Forza/Starfield. Still play the PS5 far more.

I'd also wait either way until reviews, etc are out. 30fps could be a deal breaker for me (let's not have that debate again). Still handy to have it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal (if any) on the series S and pick it up with GamePass over the coming weeks

Thanks again folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Make sure you come back here for some tips on the cheapest way to get gamepass for 2 years if you are going that route. You can get 2 years of gamepass ultimate for in or around €100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

That sounds like a great deal. How do you do it or what should I search for?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you stream to the Xbox one you are streaming the series X version, so it's a cheap way to play the next gen version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

No. You will end up playing other xbox exclusives and get free games on game pass. I've PS5,Series X, Switch , Pc, Steam deck ,Vita and PSVR2 in my house at mo and might not use one for months but then use it for months depending on what's out. Do what you want life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Nah, I bought a PS5 for the exclusives only. Don't bother getting them day 1 but nab them when they go on sale. Also game pass is the best deal in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

What I have found with the Series X is it's a fabulous media player as well. The quality of Netflix, Prime and Kodi blows the Fire Stick 4K and Chromecast with Google TV out of the water. Even the native apps on the Samsung TV is not near the picture quality of the Series X. Gamepass is also brilliant and considering you get EA play included means you've a ton of older games like NFS, Battle feild and I'm fairly sure the new PGA tour game will come to it shortly.

As for exclusives Starfield is the obvious one but a new Forza game coming and the latest Horizon game was fairly decent too..

Advertisement