Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Lucy Letby found guilty of murdering seven babies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Trial by jury and nothing better to do, you must have never had to court service, you would not wish it on anyone, let alone the 12 people who had to go through this for 9 months and listen to harrowing evidence and then deliberate for 100 hours. This will affect them for the rest of their lives. You need to wake up to life. The parents of these children also have a life sentence and the old saying walk in my shoes, just think of what it would be like for just one day and not the rest of their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

And the public tax money will go towards the privileged of housing, clothing, feeding her, providing medical assistance, education if she wishes. There is much she can't do but there is a lot she can still do from the comfort of her cell all while those families will continue to suffer. She deserves a death sentence, to some that sounds harsh, inhuman etc, however she has earned that condemnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. She appears psychopathic and often the reactions of such criminals to victim impact statements is to seek to either undermine or deflect attention from their victims relatives " hogging the attention " , creating a scene , screaming and shouting .

This can be even more traumatic for relatives than having to speak to the court without the perpetrator present .

Real smug "I guess I'm just a better person than others" energy coming from them.

Now I'm not into the idea of her being mistreated by the authorities because I don't think they should have such powers, but I hope she never gets out.

People who throw out all these self congratulating comments, playing devil's advocate, when we're talking about someone who murdered and attempted to murder several babies (and look at the unbearable pain this has caused) for "I'm holier than thou" optics... are just so callous.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

she is most probably in a state of denial & doesn't/cannot accept her own depravity. but that said she should have been made to attend. she did the crime now deal with the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

This is my hometown hospital. I was born there when it was called the West Cheshire infirmary. Then it merged with the Countess. My nieces were born there, as was my god-daughter. My mum has a rare blood group and was collected on several occasions by police car to go and do emergency donations for blue babies or whatever the terminology is.

She will burn in hell and will not survive the year. She now has a massive X painted on her back. While awful to say, I for one, will be delighted to see her found in pieces in her cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

At least I can discuss something without letting my emotions get the better of me, which cannot be said for a large number of posters who all claim to be heartbroken or raging over crimes that didn’t even affect them personally.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Absolutely heartbreaking, couldn't finish reading some of the articles regarding this case. Hope she is tortured every day in prison until she dies.

Agree with some comments above. People saying "I hope she gets the help she deserves" are pathetic. She deserved nothing but pain every day of the rest of her miserable life.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,689 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You’re being far too “removed” here. And it comes across as cold, callous, empty. Nobody is heartbroken, but as people, many are sickened and disgusted and really feel for the poor families suffering due to this absolute scumbag. These feelings from people are completely natural.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭rogber

Several experts have said she clearly lacks any sense of empathy, a classic characteristic of psychopaths. This is not the same as saying she is not responsible for her actions. Someone can be mentally unwell and still responsible for their actions, as in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Depends on what part of the USA, most of America does not have the Death Penalty on their statute. The UK doesn't, for now, but even if they brought it back, they couldn't apply it retrospectively for this case.

The Death Penalty is wrong for even the worst of the worst, which this woman clearly is. A lifetime in jail is the right punishment in this case.

tbh i cannot see how she is gonna survive in prison with hardened criminals. she looks so ordinary and harmless. her only hope will be if Butch Brenda from Block B 'er "befriends" her and takes her under her tattooed wings.

she now has a certain notoriety and to survive she needs to use that. whether she's in a fit state of mind to do so, remains to be seen. most other prisoners will want to harm her, but there are some who would love to have her as their buddy.

as with the outside, in prison there's someone for everyone ...

she will not be forgotten about. she will spawn a whole media circus/industry dedicated to detailing & examining every little aspect of her very mundane existence, movies, documentaries, books etc. it's already begun. as repugnant as it may be, her name will be discussed long after the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

She must be one of the youngest people in the UK to be locked away for the rest of their lives is she? I can't think of anyone younger than her who has received this sentence.. Hopefully she stays in there now. Long time to think about what she has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

People like to overlook that many disorders and conditions involve lack of empathy, but screaming “psychopath” or “narcissist” is just the popular thing to do because it feeds the monster narrative.

If professionals who assessed her have not commented then nobody following the case can make such a claim.

I agree that whatever is going on with her she is responsible for her actions and made a deliberate choice to carry them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Was there any mention of psychological/ psychiatric evaluations on her prior to the trial?

Would be interesting if the defence had ordered evaluations but couldn't use them in the trial as they would have been detrimental to their case

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Bet she is already getting fan mail.

Probably from a few posters on boards too.

She's already been in jail for three years now so she's used to the routine. She may get attacked/ bullied etc but is say she'll be well looked after by prison authorities

You might as well say the same about the word "evil". Just feeds the monster narrative.

And no one is screaming psychopath and narcissist. People, including experts, are saying she displays typical traits. None of them are trying to excuse her behaviour or so she wasn't capable of making sound judgment

• Advertisement

There are plenty of men who will have a fetish for someone like her. Just like male serial killers get sent underwear from female fans. Lots of twisted people out there.

She will, however, be at huge risk in prison, just like paedos are. Allows other scumbags to feel someone else is morally lower than them when they fixate on someone like her

i agree. she ought to be given some opportunity to do something positive with her life. she's a qualified nurse, so she has a much sought-after set of skills. further education should be a priority. at some future stage she may acknowledge the enormity of her actions and who knows in the future she may even show some remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Oh, so you’re hoping she can fix herself, rejoin society and move on? How long do you think she should be locked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...an interesting take from grande.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is a lot of emphasis on if she is mentally ill or has a personality disorder it's all about the perpetrator, for what it is worth I found an article by an expert that is far more nuanced and less dramatic, in the expert opinion, low self-esteem, anxiety, boredom, and extreme immaturity were factors not the only factors because she is disturbed in some way to do what she did.

The professional work environment and supervision is a conversation that needs to be had in the case, perhaps in nursing or any situation working with vulnerable people, it needs to revert to CNM1 and 2 being seen as figures of authority. If she had been adequately supervised, some of this might not have happened.

There was a case in the media last week and the individual concerned really did think his supervisor and manager were being 'mean' to him for disciplining him, he had no sense of understanding of what is expected in a professional working environment in this case he was dismissed before he could do any harm.

Post edited by mariaalice on

Ok, delete that. How long you think she should be locked up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agreed, many people have warped ideas of what "bullying" is, and believe that it includes being asked to do your job, or being closely supervised. Others have copped that it is a very effective way to get supervisors to leave them alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

And where she’s going seems to be particularly comfortable, by all accounts. I am firmly anti capital punishment even for the most heinous crimes, but very pro whole life tarrifs.

If you’ve killed or tried to kill a child then that should be a permanent end to your participation in the world outside of a prison. irregardless of mitigating circumstances.

Advertisement