Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite farming childhood memory

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Came across a video on YouTube called videos of Irish farming, set around around the 30’s and 40’s im sssuming. Watching one where they are ploughing and planting. By god there was no need for a gym with all the walking and forking they done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Building forts out of square bales of straw and pulling up the stubble at the opposing fort like hand grenades

Eating cornflakes with milk straight from the bulk tank

The cab of the 135 getting blown off in a storm and dad tying it back on with Baler twine

ambushing dad with snowballs as he came out of the milking parlour for more nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

+1 to all of the above👆

We'd a 165 with Lambbourn cab with a diy canvas roof for years after a storm took the original green one, the canvas had a CIE logo from it's previous life.

Can't eat cornflakes now with pasturised / homogenized milk, we would fight over getting the most cream from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I think it was around 14 miles you had to walk behind the horse steering the plough to plough an old Irish acre. When allowing a bit for turning on the headlands and giving the horse a drink a few times during the day it used to average out at around 17 miles of walking for an Irish acre which was about 1.6 of todays statute acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Just remembered we have a fort on our land with badger setts in it, one year it was covered in nettles and father cut them with briarhook. It was a warm summer so I was going around in shorts ( no t- shirt) and ran up 1 bank and went down a deep hole ( couldn't see it with all the nettles on the flat). Ended up covered head to toe in nettle burns ( on the way in & out ) It wasn't all sunshine. 😪

The main thing for me is there was plenty people around ( and great characters on silage crews etc ) and all seemed to have time for the dinner and chat, often go a week now without meeting anyone ( wrap left for contractor in meadow etc )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Hopefully they’ll remember these as good farming memories in decades to come

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Being in some kind of trapl or cart with my grandfather driving the horse and him smiling at me and telling me I was his boy.I was incredibly young but the memory is very vivid

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lmk123

Not strictly farming but 9 years old my father showing me how to use the hay knife so we could strip the bog, a few weeks later it was the turf pike throwing out the sods as he was cutting them, it’s one job I’ll never complain about doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The last use the hay knife got here was cutting rolls of insulation into thirds. Perfect for fitting insulation between the joists.

Advertisement