Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone relate to this?

Options
  • 19-08-2023 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So started playing golf around 3 years ago. A slice always lurked its head from time to time. A good shot was a fade or straight and a bad shot a slice. Got a few lessons but found it difficult to get rid. I've always been playing off 18 or 19. 

So the slice can back more than ever and for the last 3 months say, I left the driver in the bag and only played a 3 wood, as I would put less spin on the ball. 

I ended up coming down to a 12, rarely scratching a hole most rounds and hitting way more fairways. Only this is, where I play, the course feels extra long playing 3 wood. I prob average around 215yards with it, giving up maybe 30 yards in comparison to driver. I also miss roasting the odd driver down the fairway 250 or 260 and hitting wedges or short irons in. 

I once said I'd be happy with 200-225 yards and always in play. But I don't feel content. Anyone else struggle with this? Or know a good coach to build a driver swing? I'd prob like to give it one more go. Not sure if I have the skill necessary to change my clubface and path. Had alot of lessons and I tend to hold the face open. What I'm meant to do just feels so different and it would never click.

Anyways, thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

There will probably come a point where if you want to get the handicap lower you'll need to get the driver back in play. Along with lessons maybe one of the Draw bias drivers might help as they are designed to counteract a slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PurpleMonkeyDishwasher_

Yeah, I'm not sure a new club is the way to go though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Have a mate who was killed with a slice on his driver in particular. Wind into was especially troubling. He got a draw bias driver (sft ping g425) and it transformed his tee game. High floaty ones that you never could predict to a straight ball flight every time 190-200 yds. So much so we had to get him to stop aiming at the left rough and recalibrate for the centre of the fairway.

He ended up dropping from 17 to 15 in the next couple of months. More distance, less rough and trees. The rest of his game was automatically easier.

I wouldn't rule out a different driver. 2nd hand ones can be picked up reasonably rather than have to do a fitting. Some pros and shops may let you hit a few balls without any fee.

That's interesting. I guess I won't rule it out altogether. I was just struggling to see how the ball flight would be any different, if I'm still hitting on an out to in plane and open face. No harm in hitting a few practice balls with one, currently using a Sim2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I started playing just shy of 2 years ago I think. I've suffered with a bad slice with driver since day one. Some drives were long and straight down the middle. But that would maybe be 1 in 10. The rest would be horrendous slices 2 fairways over. 150 yards straight and another 150 to the right. I worked on technique and had a couple of lessons and the 1 in 10 drive became more like 3 in 10. But still the awful slice remained.

Recently I bought a new (2nd hand) driver that's more forgiving and set up in a draw position. The difference is night and day for me. I still get a slice from time to time but, in general, my drives are vastly improved.

I've still been working on technique so it's not all down to the driver, but the difference is undeniable. The other driver just didn't suit me whatsoever.

I certainly wouldn't rule out changing the driver along with some range practice and you may see a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Another convert for the Ping 425. It has transformed my driving. The weak slices out to the right are almost eliminated and I've changed nothing in my swing. Had been stuck on 10/11 index for 10 years. Last 2 years I've made my biggest progress in a long time getting down to 6 at one stage. I put the majority of it down to confidence with the new driver.

Nice work. Sounds a bit steep at €425 in mcguirks. I wonder how much they would give me for my sim2

way too much. I was lucky to get a go of a friends first and then purchase exact model second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

My mates driver was €250. Ex demo model but had little to no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Same story, high slice or straight pull. Clearly coming over the top with little control over club face, just couldnt fix it. Resorted to a 22° hybrid off the tee.

Can give it a good dig, usually leave myself with 8i or 9i in. Currently off 11.

Lately iv changed my driver setup when practicing, I want to feel like I'm standing taller, more connected between bicep and chest on the backswing. I am focusing on not over reaching at the top, my left shoulder never gets behind the ball, on the down swing I focus on wanting to break the tee to pieces not hit the ball. Now I have a consistent fade, yet to try it out on the course though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

Try hitting a load of hooks in the range, just try and duck hook the sh*te out of it . Drop your trailing leg a bit and picture a nail on the inside of the ball that you try and hammer - can be fun sometimes in the range to see how bad a shot you can hit.. can help you learn to control clubface

Also McGuirks trade in value is shocking. Better off selling your driver in the 2nd hand market yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Went throught similar pain to yourself a few years ago. Couldn't get the driver going, but could hit the 3w well enough to get away with it and not lose massive distance.

But as the guys are saying above it will ultimately limit you.

It's worth putting the effort in to sort technique. Set yourself a challenge for the Winter.

Once the qualifying season ends, start a couple of lessons and deal with some bad golf during the off season while it won't impact your handicap.

Yeah reaffirming my own thoughts on it. Prob ready to give it another go now that the frustration has subsided. Actually enjoying it more without of the big misses, but I think il give it another go in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ive a wilson launch pad. Defo took the big slice away. Worked for a mate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

When I first started back playing a few years ago I was slicing my driver too and left it in the bag for a while but I wouldn't be recommending a new driver straight away, fixing a slice is way more about technique. It is something that could be resolved relatively quickly with one or two good lessons, an understanding of what is causing it and then mostly importantly practice. For me it was getting that feeling of hitting in to out rather than over the top which is likely what is causing it. There are plenty of videos online explaining this too. The best tip if you want to fix this on your own is watch a couple of these type of videos to understand what causes a slice vs a draw for example, practice fixing it but get yourself a tripod or something so you can record yourself with your phone to actually look at your swing. The majority of the time what we think we are actually doing in our swing is very different from the reality and recording yourself is the best way to overcome this. Also gives you instant feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

Would agree it's worth spending money on lessons rather that trying to fix it with equipment. A couple of lessons and some practice in between should sort it out somewhat, at least into more of a fade.

I remember Harrington saying that if you slice, go to the driving range bay furthest to the left (if you're right handed) and hit from there. You'll have the high barrier immediately beside you, making it impossible for you to aim left, which exacerbates a slice.

Advertisement