Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My phone keeps rebooting or shutting down

Options
  • 19-08-2023 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭

It is a Samsung XCover4(about 2015 I think) and it has just started to repeatedly reboot itself (well turn itself off mid browsing)

I am wondering what might be the cause and whether is might be due to the battery being on its last legs(very swollen and I am awaiting delivery of a replacement battery).

If I put the phone on to charge I don't notice the problem and ,when I disconnect from the charger (as now) it seems to work for a little while before the screen goes blank and nothing can be done but restart it.

I think I may also have noticed that the actual phone continues to work (as a phone) but I can't be sure about that.

Might a dicky battery lead to poor performance like I have described?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, I don't think it's the battery. It's called a "boot loop". Try searching on the likes of YouTube or just the plain web typing your phone model, those keywords and "fix", something's bound to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, I had that before. Full charge and then it would restart and go to zero. New phone needed, I think. If you've got one going for 8 years, you've done well. I still miss my old HTC ones which seemed to last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

Actually, I just bought it from a site called Refurb which sells refurbished phones.

It came with the battery just ready to go.I could see it wasn't holding much of a charge but within the month it was bulging and so I ordered a replacement.

@New Home thanks for the advice.I will give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭con747

From their website "Refurbed products are more sustainable and up to 40% cheaper compared to a new device. Your trusted refurbed product comes with a minimum 12-month warranty and a 30-day free returns policy, with no questions asked." Send it back and buy a new Chinese android for the same price with better specs. They advertise the one you bought for €113.99 https://www.refurbed.ie/p/samsung-galaxy-xcover-4/ You can get better value with better specs. That's just my opinion though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

Thanks. Didn't pay that much (85 maybe)

It is beyond the 30 days now and I am looking forward to the new battery I ordered.

I am a bit of a sunken costs devotee and tend to stick with my decisions even when they seem irrational.

Eg I have never shopped around for new Electicity companies or deals and I tend to just muddle along the best I can -:)

The phone hasn't shut down since the last charge(yet) .Maybe it has fixed itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭con747

Do your pocket a serious favour and switch your suppliers yearly and insurers the same. Look at your electricity bill and gas if you have it and compare the prices you are paying now to the best offer out their at the minute. https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-cp-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html If you do that every year you just got a free holiday/new computer or so on.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement