Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People wanting to look younger and cosmetic procedures **Mod Note in Post #77**

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

Maybe she's better looking,has a better personality or a better body than you.Maybe she would get twice as much attention without the duck lips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I think we all have something we’d like to change. I’ve always sworn id never have surgery or enhancements. Not being able to afford them helps me keep that promise 😂

Truth be told though if I won the lottery I’d seriously consider a tummy tuck. It’s the one thing I’m really self conscious about. And then once you’ve broken your own promise, I imagine it’s easy to have a few bits done here and there. It’s knowing when to stop.

My daughter (27) tried the lip fillers once. I was dead against it but held my tongue. She’s so very pretty just as she is (heavily biased as my opinion is)

She has friends in the beauty sector, got some good advice, and only had a tiny bit. A few days of very minor swelling and the end result was virtually imperceptible, I was actually impressed at the subtle change. Just more defined and slightly fuller. She didn’t repeat it though. She said that the temptation to have a bit more the next time round was there. And she didn’t want to go down that road.

Beauty standards change. And from my perspective, the natural look is always so much more appealing. But this is where we are. If they insist on getting it done I hope they do their research and go to a reputable practitioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Do you whatever you want but at least be honest.

The one thing I have noticed about a few media personalities and the like is they will always give a shout-out to the stylist who did their hair, never who did the Botox lip filler, or whatever.

It is doubly dishonest in a way because even if it is mentioned at all it must be framed in a living my best life way, the same way as being thin must be framed as health.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m glad you said it and not me 😂

It’s true though, and their youth is a factor in making those decisions, in the same way their youth is a factor in lads who don’t have their heads screwed on finding them attractive, the same lads who are obsessed with bulking up in the gym and daring not skip leg day, ingesting all manner of substances to enhance their physical appearance, and more and more deciding that they too could do with a bit of surgical assistance in maintaining their youthful appearance in order to maintain their looks to compete with other men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I wouldnt even put it down to vanity or self obsession, in most cases I honestly think it comes down to feeling social pressure to look a certain way, whether that pressure is real or imagined. Theres always been beauty standards that women have felt pressure to live up too, in the 90's and early 2000's there was an epidemic of girls and young women with eating disorders because of the pressure to be skinny, then with the kardashians big boobs and bums became the most attractive body type to have.

I remember this change over as I was a skinny girl at the time and feeling so much pressure to put on weight but only in the correct places, people used to tell me to eat a sandwich or comment on my body. Dont underestimate how cruel people can be to one anothers faces and ive no doubt girls and young women feel pressure because people comment on their looks and point out flaws to them.

From when girls are little babies their looks are commented on. Its usually well meaning but it results in allot of girls having their self worth wrapped up in how they look. This is only magnified when they get a little bit older and boys and men start giving them 'positive' attention if theyre attracted to them or negative attention if theyre not attracted to them. Id a friend at 14 who got followed down the street by a group of teenage boys shouting 'who let the dogs out' & barking at her. Ive been in pubs with friends in my early 20's and men have come up and told a member of the group she was ugly, while sitting on a bus with a friend when in our early 20's, a man of similar age turned around, looked at my friend and told her she was the ugliest woman he'd ever seen. People are horrible!!! and thats not even the tip of the ice berg when it comes to how cruel teenage girls are to one another. but calling a girl ugly, whether the insult is coming from a male or female, its incredibly hurtful to most young people who havnt developed strong self esteem & they carry those insecurities into adulthood.

For allot of women it comes down to feeling insecure and probably having a fractured sense of self, its not really about what men like or find attractive they just know that if they get the fillers or the fake boobs, they get attention in a way that makes them feel wanted or attractive, it makes them feel good so they keep doing it.

That said for allot of women its probably that they look in the mirror and feel a bit more confident in how they present to the world.

Either way, theyre not doing anything illegal and theyre entitled to do what they like to their own bodies & faces and no one else has to like it or approve of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

The influence of instagrammers have a massive effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I asked my blunt mate if he was into the marshmallow lips. He said not really, but it makes it easier for him to identify the haunty ones who you can treat like **** if he's just looking for the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yes probably, as all the men think she might be an easy touch with that level of insecurity going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lot of old fogies giving out about young people.

Nothg new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'm not sure if that is strictly true, looked up a media personality who obviously has had Botox and some sort of check filler She is 52 now id be fairly sure she believes she just looks her best self, and the things she has done aren't noticeable, the thing is she doesn't look young or overdone but no one looks their best self or fresh or whatever it all the time thats the give away that they have work done its not natural to be your best self all the time. There is a lot of dishonesty surrounding the whole issue if there wasn't individuals would be honest about having work done and it would not have to be presented in a certain narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Haunty? Are ghosts having lip fillers and botox now?

I see dead duck lips. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

That says more about them than it does my friend. Why are they so judgmental? Why do they have to try and exploit someone who they think is insecure for their own gain? She can do what she likes to her face & body (she looks great btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

In my experience, women who opt in to this aesthetic (and many other trends) are doing it for other women, not to attract men. It's a fitting in thing, not a courting ritual.

Assuming it's because they're all a bunch of sluts is somewhat reductive. And wishful thinking in many cases, I rather suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

But it doesn’t do what it says on the tin, that is make someone more attractive. They just look frozen. Don’t get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I got laser eye surgery. Pew, pew!

Best money I spent. Does that count?

• Advertisement

I just thank god that I’m older and therefore near invisible. No one gives a crap what I look like ! And I’m happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Eh, you noticed their tits that closely. Before and after procedures?

Thanking god I’m old and don’t have to inject this crap into me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

She gets the attention because she's presenting herself as desperate for male attention, easily manipulated and a bit thick. Perfect prey for a sexual predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Not my cup of tea but to each their own. Not sure why people feel the need to run others down for doing it or assume what the motivation is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course its everyone's own decision to make, as long as they are an adult.

Problem I think is that if you're the person having the work done, you se yourself in the mirror every day, and become used to what you're looking at, so it becomes normal for you. This I think is the reason why so many folk go too far, get too much work done, begin to look strange/silly/ott/exaggerated, call it what you will. They need to do more each time for them to see the changes, whereas someone who hasn't seen them in a year or two would be shocked to see the huge change in their appearance.

But hey, each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The fake tan thing has gotten hilarious though... half the young wans in Ireland look like they can't tell the difference between a Loofah and a Toilet Brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Back in January I had to go to Istanbul for a week for a work event, and upon flying home, I couldn't get over the amount of bandaged people I was seeing in the airport....

Men with mental looking heads due to hair transplants, and women with noses bandaged up....

When I went around to board the flight to Dublin, I was horrified to find out that about 30%-40% of the passengers on my flight were hair transplant patients.. I'm not sure if anyone has seen a hair transplant patient a day or 2 after having the procedure, but suffice to say it's absolutely disgusting looking... like horror movie disgusting..... It was quite possibly the worst flight I've ever taken in my life as there was literally nowhere I could look and not see a bald head with mental looking scars and madness all over it!!! I was fcuking traumatised after it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod:-

Please refrain from posting up judgements on women with cosmetic enhancements in terms of their sexual availability and intentions.

It says far more about you than them and is not big or clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The thing is women are doing it for each other rather than to be attractive to the opposite sex. They spend way longer looking in the mirror and spotting "flaws". Certain gay men are in the same vein view too. Men are often blamed for the destruction of wildlife and wars. Much of these things were done for luxuries that women wanted and still going on today with fast fashion being the 2nd highest polluter.

A female friend was saying how great Jennifer Anniston looks with "minimum" plastic surgery. I genuinely couldn't get it, her mouth now is a horizontal straight line as if she is a South Park Canadian and her nose job keeps degrading and more obvious. She was pretty enough in her heyday but Courtney Cox was my fav.

My SIL does loads of procedures and she has to keep doing it because she sees when the fillers aren't as full so more goes in and it keeps going. By the time she is 50 all her skin will be stretched out and to be tight it will be more fillers. You can actually see her face has gotten bigger now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

They've basically rejected their authentic selves through being shamed by whatever toxic influences/signals they're receiving. Not sure it's about running people down but more about disapproval, why would anyone approve of that?

Advertisement