Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Shared Dish Disconnected?

Options
  • 20-08-2023 2:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I live in an apartment building that maybe ten years ago had some sort of shared Satellite dish installed on the roof. I signed up for Sky+ for a year or two, but then cancelled Sky and for years happily used Freesat over the cables.

However last week my signal stopped working on the same day that I noticed two Sky vans outside the apartment building and them working inside!

I'm wondering if folks think they completely disconnected me or perhaps they just upgraded the LNB for Sky Q?

Is there any way to test for Sky Q without getting a Sky Q or the Freesat 4k box that supports that LNB? I've a LG TV with sat tuner, a triple tuner Linux box and a Sky+ box knocking around somewhere. Could also get a cheap sat finder if people have a recommendation?

If I knew there was a Sky Q type signal, I'd get the new Freesat 4k box, but don't want to make the investment if it might not work.

BTW While I can't tell the LNB type, it is basic two cable sat cable run to each apartment, not the newer fibre type system.

I'm wondering do Sky really have the right to disconnect a shared system like this? I suppose it depends if they own the system or the management company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭goldiefresh

If you do a scan on the satellite tuner on the LG tv it should bring in a few channels albeit on funny frequencies as the wideband Lnb will act funny on your tv. But if any channels come up your prob on a wideband Lnb (ie sky q)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks goldiefresh, no luck, looks like I’ve been disconnected!

Guess I’ll have to decide to sign up to Sky for a year or alternatively put a flat dish on the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

SKY stream might be an option as it works over the internet and you don't need a satellite dish.

Would not recommend it normally as you have no proper record function. Check out the forums on here about sky stream

before you decide as it has a lot of negitive that would rule it out if you could get sky Q.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks, I've no interest in Sky Stream. To be honest we don't watch much live TV, Freesat was perfect for just the odd bit of lazy watching and the odd Rugby match. I really don't think Sky is worth the €30 per month.

I'd only sign up to Sky Q with the hope they would reconnect me, cancel again after the contract is up, with the hope of being able to use Freesat again for a few years.

Alternative is to try the Flat Dish to get Freesat back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If you have Sky Q and cancel then Sky will ask for the box to be returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Talk to the management company or if there is a regular maintenance person for the block, they may be able to give you access to the distribution panel so you can re-connect the cables.

Obviously it will be easier to get answers if you are an owner as you will have a right to details of any contracts that your management co has signed up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭goldiefresh

If you have internet, depending on the age of your lg tv it should have rte player, virgin player and tg4 player. Virgin and tg4 have a live tv section. The rte apps live tv section is coming in an update soon apparently. There's also an app on the lg store on tv called ssiptv which you can use to upload the free to air iptv service called fluxus which has a different variety of channels on it available free to air.

"If you have Sky Q and cancel then Sky will ask for the box to be returned."

Yep, I'd then buy the Freesat 4k box that works with the wideband signal.

"Talk to the management company or if there is a regular maintenance person for the block, they may be able to give you access to the distribution panel so you can re-connect the cables."

Thanks, I'll give drop them a line (yes owner), but unfortunately I think it is all on the roof of the building.

"If you have internet, depending on the age of your lg tv it should have rte player, virgin player and tg4 player. Virgin and tg4 have a live tv section. The rte apps live tv section is coming in an update soon apparently."

Yep, thanks, I've all the Irish players and I actually have Saorview too, just have a flat aerial behind the TV for Saorview.

Advertisement