Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combo box issue

Options
  • 20-08-2023 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I have an xtrend 8500 and the satellite signal is starting to act up, terrestrial is fine. Signal strength shows over 90%. The box signal quality is showing 52% (trees are an issue) but the signal finder I got is showing signal quality of 77% when I use the same connection so I don't know where to go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

trees are a real problem, leaves blowing will give good and bad signal, can you cut them? can say what channels are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

The council said they had no budget for cutting back the trees, its bbc that gives trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

Can you relocate the dish to a higher point on the house and/or use a longer mounting pole? Might help clear the trees.

Ya I moved the dish but was wondering why the signal quality on the box was so low compared with the satellite finder

what image do you have in box?

• Advertisement

Open vix 5.4

That is a very old image but if it works and your happy stick with it. The latest is 6.4

The satfinder signal is different to that in the box. With the sat finder it is only picking up a sat signal that is hitting the dish. The box picks up a specific frequency.

This only applies to cheap sat finders but if yours is a top notch like a gt media 8 then that's another story.

There are a few ways to improve signal but the simplest is a bigger dish.

For BBCNI I can get 100& signal with Openvix 6.3 and a 1.1M dish but, to get an even better signal you can use a good LNB, mine is a black Ultra, and to improve again use good sat cable and the final item is a sensitive tuner. I use a DUO2. And different images give different readings with OPENATV I get 92%.

In the end these are only guides all you really need is the word LOCK ticked and that's good enough.

Post edited by swoofer on

Its not as bad as I thought originally, the signal quality drops in the afternoon but is fine at night, thats when its mostly used so hopefully it holds up, if not I will try what you suggested, thanks.

Advertisement