Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish White Privilege......Yeah

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It's not all just about things that give you an advantage, but it's also negative experiences or perspective that you don't face. Talking about gender for example — there are clear examples of issues faced by women in particular. Women are more likely to face sexual violence, domestic abuse against women remains a serious issue, women face far greater stress and risk in the simple act of trying to make their way home from work or a night out than men, women bear the greater risk in sex, women bear the risk in pregnancy and physical/psychological issues that can accompany it, women contend with the problems presented by menstruation, women face a shorter timespan than men for the ability to have children. Etc.

All this is doing is acknowledging the challenges and negative experiences faced by women. It's not patting their head and saying "poor woman", nor is it bashing males. Some of the things mentioned are not really anyone's fault, some of these things society (and men) have taken leaps and bounds in dealing with better, and it's obvious that the vast majority of men are by and large not violent towards women and would never dream of attacking a woman.

Accepting that other people face things that you don't face on account of a particular characteristic is not self-shaming. There are problems faced by men too — not least among them the higher rates of suicide etc. Acknowledging this isn't bashing women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I find I cant get off work as much as the women do. I think thats totally unfair. I need a break from being a wage slave.

Indeed, in the modern world many fathers for example miss out on the joy and bonding time with their newborns with less time off to do it — not to mention rolling into work having barely slept.

The firm I work for rolled out a new paternity policy a while back which offered better initiatives for fathers to take a bit more time off and flexibility has improved with remote working options.

DEI not always the scary straight-man-hating concept it's made out to be!

Women are very privileged with time off though. Down with that sort of thing. Their time off should be taken off them and given to men.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Whilst yes women face issues that men never face simply due to their physiology, one can also argue that men often don't fare too well either.

For all the supposed advantages men face, they live shorter lives in comparison to women, they are statistically more likely to be murdered or be a victim of violent crime, have higher incidents of suicide, often have more ill health, they fair less well in education, work in some of the worst and most dangerous jobs.

I hate this idea that we have to have hierarchies.

We have it in terms of victim hood, in terms of those deserving of support and now we must start pedaling this white male privilege shyte that was dreamed up in some US university.

US society and history and the concepts applicable to it have fook all to do with Ireland.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

I am so glad we are getting rid of one guilt laden cult from our schools, to replace it with another.

Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Not so - I'm a single woman without kids (Hallelujah!!) and when my father was with us and needed to go to hospital etc I had to take time off leave or pay the staff of his nursing home to take him, yet a parent was afforded paid parental leave which was used from anything from the dentists to visiting Santy!

Mothers have privilege in the work place, not women.

Fair point. Fcking mothers and fathers. They need to check their privilege. Anyone else we need to guilt? Im sure we've missed a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

People like her are a danger to kids and do nothing but try cause division.

It is an outrageous comment from someone who works in regards children's rights.

It sounds like she doesn't have much interest in white kids rights.

We go to work to pay this person to spout absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Extremely privileged person tells other people that they are privileged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭creedp

Everyone Is privileged one way or another. Just that its cooler to attack some privilege atm. They'll get bored soon enough and move on

Worried about being abused by the @smokingman 🤣

I dont understand why more people dont see that for what it is. Pure bullying. Trying to muster up a gang to pick on people they dont like themselves.

I just think there is an ever lengthening list of cool/trendy sacred cows these days that can't be questioned supportd by a very dedicated band of disciples prepared to immediately jump down the throat of anyone who doesn't perpetually bend the knee. In fairness I suppose social media would die without this type of sometimes entertaining but ultimately frustrating banter.

Thankfully the off switch works wonders to decompress

The thing is though, there are plenty of people out there who can happily determine that what that lady from the Childrens Rights Alliance said was over-baked hot air while also having their own nuanced views as to the existence of certain privilege in society. You refer to "an ever lengthening list of cool/trendy sacred cows these days that can't be questioned supported by a band of disciples prepared to jump down peoples throats . . . .

But the inverse applies equally — there also seems to be an ever lengthening list of scary bogeyman reactionary terms and attitudes to anything which is considered liberal/woke/lefty. So if someone has a nuanced view on privilege which asserts that there may be certain privilege at play in society but they believe it operates in such a multifaceted way that everyone regardless of race etc is both privileged and not privileged in certain ways? OMFG THIS GUY SAYS WHITE PEOPLE ARE INVARIABLY PRIVILEGED AND HE SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED NEAR KIDS.

Look at this thread, look at some of my comments and responses to them. Who was getting their throat jumped down? The problem is that there are proper lefties who want to shout people down, and people who want to shout back at them — not realising they are both as bad as each other for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭susan678

Nail on the head posh oul *** telling poor kids they are privileged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I wouldn't agree that it's privilege though: if we really want to make all our citizens just into units of production, then we're going to go the same way as South Korea and Japan, where it's basically impossible to reconcile parenthood (motherhood, actually, let's be honest about this) with being part of the workforce.

It's in society's interests not to do that.

However tough it is to deal with aging parents and their medical needs (and being a mother doesn't actually stop that from happening either by the way), it's a different question from a certain tendency to treat young parents as parasites. We need people to have children, if only to look after the rest of us when we're old and sick, and unless we're going to pay stay-at-home parents a salary (which I'm not suggesting is possible) the alternative is to accept that employees with children have extra constraints. I'm all for granting that to fathers as well as mothers, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Why is the DoJ funding ‘anti-racist development workers’, aka, Cultural Marxist activists with zero qualifications and no evidence behind any benefit to their work? The fact this was attended by the Gardai in an official capacity to when. here (lissten to the sound clip too) Ben Scallon asks McEntee, Harris, and Commissioner Harris how Gardai attending the event in an official capacity would benefit moral given the current climate, or in general…… They hadn't a clue. It was openly stated that George Nkencho was shot by Gardaí because “killing a black man is an achievement” in Ireland for example. The Garda should not have been there let alone sit and take a lecture despite the result of the DPP case.

• Ireland should be “ashamed as a country” for accommodating more white refugees than black ones;

Even poor white people have inherent “white privilege”……… If someone says anything this in front of me I think I'll spit at them, being honest.

Ben Scanlon asked Minister Joe O'Brien Green Part if he considers the view that all white Irish people are privileged due to their skin color racist, and if not, why not. Why am I not surprised?

https://x.com/griptmedia/status/1808093911849599403

This was the same day Minister O'Brien announced the infamous Ebun Joseph
    as the National Action Plan Against Racism Special Rapporteur, an advisory group on racism and racial equality. The Ireland Against Racism Fund 2024 was also announced, a fund set up last year that has supported 24 projects with grant funding totaling €1.3m.

it's essentially a 'how to introduce Critical Race Theory to Irish Society'

https://x.com/dcediy/status/1808098493115814259

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

Where did the "development" come from?

It didn't fall off the back of a truck,

It came from the struggles and the blood sweat and tears of the people who came before you.

So who is to blame for people in that photo not having shoes on their feet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

No idea butbMungo gerry were a rock band in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

I used to know a Richie Mungo.

Maybe they're having a go at him.

Yeah. The people who came before you (i.e. not you) — that's the very point I was making.

I'd guess @smokingman wants to say mongol but has just enough self awareness to realise that this makes a mockery of his self-image as "one of the good guys", but not quite enough self control not to say it anyway.

The paper-thin disguise of the word is meant to fill the gap between those two points.

When you are on the correct side of righteousness the end justifies the means. The question is are you on the correct side???

Well, indeed.

Alternatively, we could just decide that the means always matter, and that the saying you reference there has been used throughout the 20th century and since, as a way of justifying all sorts of human rights abuses.

So when someone feels entitled to disrespect other people, or worse, because of being "one of the righteous" - that should be a big red flag IMO.

Extreme views on both side of an argument are rarely reasonable. Obviously we have come a long way since the dark ages but equally, despite some people refusing to accept reality, we still don't live in utopia either.

Which is why I said that the means do always matter. Because if you turn out to be wrong, but have always respected the law, and your opponents’ rights generally, then no matter how extreme your views, you won’t have harmed anyone by your acts on the grounds that your intended “end” justified using illegal means. No matter how good you may feel that end to be for everyone. That’s how people were starved in Ukraine or re-educated in China etc.

• Advertisement

Richard Bilkszto a principal at Toronto District School Board (TDSB) with 24 years’ of experience under his belt as an educator In 2023, Richard killed himself after he and other White teachers were forced to attend mandated DEI sessions, led by the KOJO Institute. During the sessions, Richard was often attacked by the black facilitator, Kike Ojo-Thompson, who often called him a “privileged old White man”. In one session, Richard objected to Kike Ojo-Thompson’s claims of Canada being “racist”. After that objection, His stellar career and reputation turned rotten. He was bullied, humiliated and accused of “racism” in multiple TDSB-mandated DEI sessions by Kike Ojo-Thompson. The school put Richard on leave. One of his black colleagues, Sheryl Robinson Petrazzini, thanked the facilitator for humiliating him and “modeling the discomfort.”

This is the effect it can have on a grown man. Imagine it being taught to Irish children and the effect it would have them.

Advertisement