Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance and modifications

Options
  • 21-08-2023 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭

I know our insurance companies where never big fans of modifying your car but have they gone totally off it now. I'm renewing my insurance and after going through all the companies I can find online only 1 or 2 gave you the option for modifications, all the rest wanted the car bog standard. The last few times I renewed I'm certain that more companies gave the option to list modifications.

I was half thinking of getting my car wrapped but with the cost of the wrap and now the lack of ability to get a quote for a modified car are putting me off it. I know I can call the companies and get quotes, but after my experiences with my last car I know they won't be competitive. My last car was a big petrol and if I didn't get a quote online they wouldn't quote on the phone.

On a side note. Does anyone know where the insurance companies pull their car data from when you put in your reg? I bought new in April and when I went to transfer my policy the model wasn't on their database, it was a few days later. On Motorcheck and Cartel my car comes up with the correct model, When I put my reg into some of the insurance websites it came up with the wrong model

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is the only modification a wrap? A temporary colour change should not really impact quote. It's unlikely they will pay for car to be rewrapped after a crash.

In general certain insurers deal with modified cars, many NI based (for ROI cars).

Before getting car wrapped ring existing insurer and ask the question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Can't imagine that wrapping a car would be a "material" modification for insurance purposes.

Unless the wrap has "Gangsta" in big red letters on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Every site had not modified or altered from manufactures appearance or similar in the assumptions you have to agree to to continue the quote. I wasn't expecting the wrap to be covered.

Here's the assumptions for Allianz

Your Car 

Is owned by you and you are the main driver

Is registered in your name in the Republic of Ireland

Is normally parked at your home address

Has not been modified or adapted from the maker's standard specification other than a modification due to a disability.

Is not left hand drive

Is not a car vanette or kit car.

Value is less than EUR 130,000

And AXA's

have never been modified beyond the manufacturer's specification. Modifications may be performance enhancing, cosmetic and/or affect the safety of the vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

All modifications need to be declared, even if it doesn't affect performance or value. Certain modifications give insurers an indication of the driver's profile and therefore an underwriting consideration. To be blunt, it might indicate if you are a boy racer or skanger

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I have my car wrapped, insurance with Allianz checked before the wrap was started. They did not see it as a modification as it did not affect the performance of the vehicle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement