Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving a write off, after accident

Options
  • 21-08-2023 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Hi,

So i was involved in an accident a few weeks ago, car was side swiped, damaged 2 doors and a dent on the pillar and sill.

Assessor came out and said its an uncomical repair. I think he said CAT C. Said will need engineers report for insurance company at some stage.

Car still drives fine. I asked the assessor how long i can still drive the car for since its a write off and he wasn't sure, he said usually not long after the insurance company pay for it.(still waiting for payment) but couldn't give me a definite answer.

Now i have rang my insurance company numerous times but no one can give me an answer and keep being told someone will call me. But no one calls.

Anyone any experience in this?

Will cost me too much to fix up so will eventually be going, but want to know a timeline on how long im able to drive it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It kind of depends on the nature of the damage, if there are jagged pieces (for example) sticking out from the damaged door, then you cannot drive it, it would be a danger to other road users/pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thanks Gerard, nothing sticking out/jagged pieces on the doors.

Very confusing this.

You may need to find out from your insurance if the car is still insured. If yes then I would think it could still be driven. The accident my have had consequences on the insurance for that car.

Thanks Jazz.

Tried calling again, was passed to sales team then claims team, was then told someone will call back (no one ever does).

Absolute joke that they cant tell me if i can drive the car or not.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

When the insurer agrees to settle your claim, they will require you to surrender the car and hand over the keys to either them or their salvage firm. You should be OK to drive it until then

• Advertisement

Thanks eggs for dinner.

So basically when money exchanges hands is when I wouldn't be covered?

Was told they are going to pay me what it's worth less the salvage.

Then if I want the full figure agreed I need to send it to the scrapyard or can go about fixing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's a bit technical and dependent on your policy wording.You can drive it until you formally accept the settlement. When that happens, many policies are deemed to be "determined". In other words, they have fulfilled the insurer's obligation and have come to a natural end. You then need to arrange with your insurer to reinstate cover.

Check your policy wording for Reinstatement Of Cover Following Loss. Hopefully it will give you a clearer picture

Sorry only getting back to this now.

But finally someone from my insurance company called me,after 5 weeks of back and forth.

Basically told me when the assessor told me it will be an uneconomical write off ,I should of stopped driving it as I wasn't insured!

Car assessor told me it would be weeks before it would be officially classed as a write off and that I was able to drive it as is legally .

Was fairly annoyed after hearing that. Especially since I was driving it for weeks after the accident . In my defense I tried numerous calls to the insurance company and no one could give me an answer.

Anyway car is off the road now so doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Catogory C write off means it is repairable just that the repairs would probably cost more than the car is worth. If you know a handy mechanic they would probably have the car passsed as fit to drive again for a lot less than what it's worth by sourcing secondhand parts. You can make an offer to the assesor or ask them how much would they accept to sell the car to you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

However if you repair it, it will show up as a catogary C car when you try to reinsure it. That will restrict the companies willing to insure it and the price quoted.

It is similar to trying to insure a category C car purchased in UK .

• Advertisement

If the car is repaired then you get the assesor to certify that it is no longer a catogory C.

It's a temporary situation until repairs are completed and insurance companies will only price for brand new parts which in some cases will not even be available so it's just easier for them to write off a car.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Ye I was given the option of keeping and fixing it.

If it was just 2 doors, I'd happily grab 2 pink doors and fit them myself.

But because there is a dent in the pillar and sill. That would need to be done properly and an engineers report with it.

Will cost a bit to sort that, and also it will always be a cat C write off so if I go to sell at some stage it would be worthless.

It won't always be a catogory C. Once it is repaired and assesed as repaired it is no longer classed as a write off and will not show up as such in any Irish history check report.

Advertisement