Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houseplants in bedroom, good/bad?

Options
  • 22-08-2023 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭

I've googled this and the responses are mixed, to say the least.

Fully positive responses, fully negative responses and everything in between!

I want to know if it will improve air quality in the bedroom. Am waking in the morning with dull headaches 😔.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,896 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you tried an air purifier first maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Plants will help purify the air only during daylight.

Would having an open window help. Most modern windows can lock with a small opening.

Are you allergic or sensitive to any materials or finishes?

Could you be dehydrated? Too warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have a window open, first thing.

I have a number of plants in my bedroom, I can't for sure say if they do any good, but they certainly don't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,021 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do you have a carpet in your bedroom? How often do you change your bed linen and do you wash it at a high temperature?

It could be a dust allergy, get rid of the carpet if you have one, hoover your mattress and get a mattress protector, change your bed every week and dust and hoover regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

House plants will produce Carbon Dioxide at night not Oxygen, which is only produced during photosynthesis. That said a couple of small houseplants won't make a huge difference either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

While plants do help purify the air you would need a lot to make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Thanks all! Very informative. The open window isn't a runner, due to noise. I tried earplugs but they're very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The open window is (imo) far and away the most likely solution. Could you leave a window open elsewhere and leave your bedroom door open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I do this already. Not having the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,896 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One down side of an open window which impacts me over the summer is the bloody pollen - open the window and the pollen comes in, sets off my allergies.

Have an air purifier in the bedroom now and it does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

You would probably get used to the noise relatively quickly. I used to live on a very busy street....the traffic used to wake me in the morning from before 6am, and that was through a closed window, shutters and a heavy curtain. A few months later I was able to sleep with everything including the window open, and the traffic didn't bother me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShadowSA

Drinking enough water and clearing out your bowls often enough? I used to suffer from the same and since upping the water I feel much better. Also needed to wear glasses which is helping.

Fresh air will also help. The new air tight houses can't be healthy.

Advertisement