Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferry Queue question

• 22-08-2023 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭

Lads, I'm heading over to the UK (Dublin to Holyhead with Irish Ferries) next Saturday morning. Is it still the same as years ago....just head up to the front of the queue ?

Or are you expected to join the Car queue ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

The ticket checker will give you a lane number to go into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They'll give you a lane number to sit in. When it comes to boarding they'll pull the bikes in first.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I did the ferry from Rosslaire to Bilboa recently and bikes seemed to all queue for the ticket/passort hut, but after that you've got your own lane for access to the boat and they board you first... But after a 2.5 hour ride to the ferry, it was a bit uncomfortable queueing for about an hour in slow crawling traffic and I was tempted to pass the cars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Thanks folks. And I presume they still provide the padding to protect the seat from the Straps ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Breezin

They do on the Bilbau route. Not sure about the Hollywood boat.

Either way I think it's worthwhile hanging around to make sure they do it right.

• Advertisement

You have to strap your own bike: they provide the ratchet strap with a cushion pad on it to sit over the seat. I always bring 1 or 2 small ratchet straps of my own as with the SO's bike in particular it stands very straight on the side stand, so I pull it from the frame the the other way to keep it rigid.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

a more recent trip, here, to/from France. Note the NC750 is tied both ways (see comment above).

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

It varies. I was with Stena to France lately and they strapped it both times, been with Irish ferries before and I did it myself.

One tip, if you are not booking a cabin (sleeping on a couch), I think it makes sense to leave as much gear as you can on the bike (helmet, boots, jacket etc), its a pain in the arse to be carrying them around, and I think they're safe on the bike, I popped a cargo net over them (you could throw a cover over the whole lot if want to be v cautious, but there's workers milling around, I think its safe enough).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Thanks Folks for all the replies. We travelled over last Saturday morning (Ulysses) , and returned Monday evening (Swift). On the Ulysses they just pointed us towards the Bike Parking area and let us strap the Bikes down ourselves. On the Swift the guy was very insistent that it was his job to strap down the Bike....I just stayed beside him to make sure he didn't go mad on the Ratchet Strap (he didn't).

A smooth experience both ways ( including the actual movement of the Ship). We were heading to Donington for a round of the BTCC and despite it being a UK Bank holiday everything worked out fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even if you have a cabin it's probably better to leave as much on the bike as possible, just make sure that they have CCTV looking at the bikes. 4 of use shared a cabin years ago and we took all the luggage off the bikes, it would of been a lot less cramped if we'd only taken a bag with a change of clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Got the boat to Bilbao couple weeks back during storm Betty and just drove to the front of the queue of cars and asked one of the drivers if they'd mind if i got in front of them as was soaking wet from the drive down from Dublin. I've sat in a queue years ago in Rosslare to get on a ferry and the bike over heated and was difficult to start again to get on the boat. Had to leave it sitting for 20 mins or so. Bear in mind they won't let you take the bike on the ferry if you can't ride it on under it's own power.

Amnesty International’s new investigation shows that Israel imposes a system of oppression and domination against Palestinians across all areas under its control: in Israel and the OPT, and against Palestinian refugees, in order to benefit Jewish Israelis. This amounts to apartheid as prohibited in international law.

Advertisement