Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Mow Autumn Maintenence

Options
  • 22-08-2023 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks

Have been doing some version of no mow in the front and back gardens the last 3 or so years. Had a right go at it this year and have been very happy with the results. Front garden in particular doing very well with red and white clover, birds foot and a few other bits and bobs. It still looks well but am aware it will probably turn a bit ugly soon enough.

Any tips for maintenence over the autumn and winter? Would like to give it a chance to seed etc but when is good to start tidying it up a bit?

Thanks 😀

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

depends, you can cut whole if its mostly dry or can leave some parts uncut till march. You could reseed with yellow rattle and more native wildflowers to improve the species variety

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Cut it when things are in seed, leave the mowings for a few days then rake up the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Advice i've seen is to not sow seeds, just allow what's in the local seedbank / carried by wildlife to establish in their own time.

"August's seeds, feeds next years bees"

Cut right back to ground level and remove all the cuttings so you are not enriching the soil. It helps to stop the grass from growing too strong and out competing the native flowers.

As suggested, I like to leave a strip around the verges to provide shelter for critters that have been using the grass.

The All Ireland Pollinator Plan website has good guides on managing your garden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

And watch out for frogs if you have anyway damp ground. My backgarden tends to waterlog in parts and mostly no mow has resulted in there always being a frog in there. The neighbours have mowed over one, and I've done it once too, so now one of us rakes the ground ahead of the other mowing. You have to keep a sharp eye, they're well camoflaged and do the "if i don't move the bad will go away" move

• Registered Users Posts: 15 D-Lo Brown

Thanks folks. The front garden doing really well and I actually do have some yellow rattle on the way. Back garden was a wild mess of just grass so nothing exciting. I have a hill out the back which is completely wild and looks great. Flat part not so much. I have cut it back, took ages. Going to put lots of clover seed out there and hoping I have a clover/grass mix next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement