Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cut back overgrown tea rose now?

Options
  • 23-08-2023 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Stupidly didn't cut entertwined shrubs/roses back enough in February and now after the storm last week, all 15ft of a rose has collapsed and is flopping horizontally over the patio. If I cut back now to half it's height, will it survive?It would be really difficult to tie back . There is a lot of woody stem(4feet) but would be cutting into green stem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The problem with cutting back a rose at this time of year is that it will leap into new growth which could be damaged in the winter. Also there is a theory it will reduce the flowers you will get next year, but I have no personal experience of that.

You really should wait until spring, but I think I would cut it back just into new growth and tie it up out of the way somehow, then sort it in the spring. I tend to be a bit ruthless about cutting things back - especially tough things like roses - regardless of the time of year, if it is necessary for some reason, I don't think I have ever killed anything but I would not get approval from the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭standardg60

It will be fine, cut away. There's enough of the growing season left for any new growth to harden off before winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭billyhead

Personally I would leave it until either late Autumn or early Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

It's blocking light to raised border so my perennial wallflowers won't survive. Usually give good colour until winter so good. Hmm, I'll have to toss a coin, which to sacrifice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cut the rose, its more likely to survive, in fact they are very hard to kill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement