Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill Bit sharpening service?

Options
  • 23-08-2023 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Working for a Company here who use several hundred drill bits per week. The private person who used to sharpen them has retired. As there seems to be no one else available to do this, the current advice is to put the used bits in the scrap metal bin!

Anyone know of a drill bit sharpening service?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you based? i don't know if they do drill bits, but i recently had planer blades resharpened by city saw services in dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Deregos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Might give some idea of what to look for.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You should run a mini-project to examine the current cost of disposing the bits (financial and environmental), the weight of the disposed bits and how many uses you could get from them, and then calculate how much the sharpener guy was costing you in the past versus the amount of reuse of each bit; and do a cost-analysis on that. Pop it all into a powerpoint and then run the project up to the senior management team as a environmental / cost saving observation.

It always helps if you align a project sponsor from the senior management team, preferably the one who's running the environmental/emissions element of the factory. That sort of stuff can do wonders for a career! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭howsshenow

Based in mid west.

Nobody in tooling dept has time to use a diy sharpener and sort by size etc. With repetitive strain injuries etc we have moved away from this laborious repetitive work.

Accountants from what I see definitely do not want to spend money on tools and would rather rent/lease or make do; often regardless of obvious cost savings.

I've seen a cool CNC sharpener on internet; you'd want some amount of work to justify buying it.

• Advertisement

There are automatic sharpeners out there too, the US manufactured ones appear to be the best (around 6k USD), but who knows what level of automation they have. Anyway as I said, you need to find out if there is a business interest in pursuing this route, sometimes its just too easy to dispose of equipment, out of sight is out of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Binning a couple of hundred of bits per week seems mad tbh (I'd say the bit suppliers love your co) Are the bits being used in fixed machines (lathe/bench drill) or hand held tools? Also, what size range of bits are you talking about? (if it's 4mm down, bin away)

I do my bits by hand with a bench grinder. It's a knack but can be learned. I explained it in a couple of posts on the Farming forum (jesus, tough crowd there) and did a vid (since gone but I do have it somewhere if anyone really wants it)

Would the retired guy take it on as a nixer?

Sizes 2.5mm to 7mm mainly, used in hand drills.

I Possibly agree about binning the smallest sizes but Co below say they can do them.

It was a hobby for the retired lad.

I spoke with and have passed on info re city saw services in Dublin. Great to know that there's still a place to sharpen anything from a hedge clippers to drill bits.

Thanks all.

Well that's great to hear! And is the company supportive of the initiate, and will you receive some recognition- most importantly!!? 👍

You must be Joking. I am sticking my nose in to another Departments business, and going to make "extra" work for someone!

I am doing this just to reduce waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Looks like the lads may be doing sheet metal stuff - if that is the case, then double end stub drill bits would be ideal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How much do new bits cost vs. price per bit to sharpen, generally?

Advertisement