Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOT SNOOKERED ON THE DUNKETTE INTERCHANGE TODAY ON WAY TO MATER HOSPITAL ON M8 FROM CLARE VIA MITCH

Options
  • 23-08-2023 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭

I was last in the MATER 4 years ago to the day so went my usual route but at end of M8 I was in left hand lane and not paying too much attention, result my sat nav was not very good so I asked for directions and found my way to Mater. But when I was coming home from MATER I thought I would go N20 and hang a left after the Jack Lynch, saw no left exit and ended up doing a very roundabout detour.

I have to go in for an op op soon and was wondering should I have kept straight on while on the M8 and would that have taken me to JL tunnel??

On the way back did I miss the left turn?

And has this new piece of infrastructure been added to sat nat maps?

Be kind I can drive myself to the MATER for op its the journey back that has me most worried>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

Hi, there’s been a lot of changes to the whole interchange will more still to come and there’s no way sat nav has caught up.

https://www.dunkettle.ie/ is a website which shows all the works and there should be links to YouTube videos in there with drones flying the routes.

if you want to get back on m8 from tunnel just stay in the outer right hand lane as you approach and go through tunnel and it should take you straight onto m8.

its counter intuitive now because if you want to go east you stay in left lane 😉.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For something like that you really need to follow the signs on the road, not a SatNav.

Are you sure you will be OK for driving? Even if it is a few days after the anaesthetic, you might not be in the best condition. For sedation-only procedures, you aren't allowed drive for 24 hours after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Ignore the Sat Nav and follow the signs for now, the left after the tunnel going North is still there, you just missed it. Travelling south on the M8, the right hand lane will take you to the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Alternatively, if you're finding the new interchange stressful, you could just take the main Limerick-Cork road (N20) and ignore any "helpful" suggestions from your sat nav to use the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thanks all. 4 years is a long time and that interchange is something else. Its easy to say follow signs but those signs are not that prolific. And the left after the tunnel was to go east and get back to N20

Has the N8 disappeared now and become the M8, they still had that 100kph limit as you approach the tunnel. I would have expected a tunnel sign near to where I got lost!!

Anyway its a hip op so I wont bed riving myself home but was worried for the person who would be, the look of terror on their face yesterday was a picture.

It appears it may be finished by April 2024 and I'll use that as an excuse to defer hip op.

And incidentally I like a challenge when driving but that DUNKETTE is something else.

I take it the google maps are the finished article? I was sent a link for a times article as well, 18 slip roads not that is something to behold.

And yes sat nav will be switched off if I go there again soon but as I have now traversed most of it I wont even need the signs 😂

Sorted saw all the videos.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"I take it the google maps are the finished article?" what is shown there will be whatever was there the last time they mapped it.

Advertisement