Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies around house during viewing

Options
  • 23-08-2023 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

Bit of an odd one but was at a viewing over weekend at a property and noticed groups of flies outside front and back of property. Just kind of hanging around middle of yard and driveway. No obvious causes from I can see and no smell etc. seems unusual - would there be anything I’m missing that would cause this?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 southofthelee

Possibilities:

Drain issue if on municipal waste system

Septic tank issue if not connected to municipal waste system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Probleary these lads Cluster fly - Wikipedia late Summer Autumn they start to look for somewhere to stay for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Happens everywhere this time of year. Especially a few days after heavy rain. You can see them from whatever the angle of the light is at the time you were viewing. View at a different time of day and i bet you wont even notice if they are there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Are you sure that they were flies? At this time of year, ant colonies have their nuptial flights

When this happens, swarms of larger ants with wings will cluster on the ground, and they would seem very much to be flies. This only happens once a year per ant-colony, and the "flies" themselves will mostly be dead shortly thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Our house is infested with flies at the moment despite how clean all the drains / bins etc are. I think they just get really bad at this time of year. If there were no bad smells around I don't think I would worry too much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement