Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just 1 rifle

Options
  • 24-08-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I've a 223 for foxing and other vermin control and it's doing the job perfectly at the moment but I'm shooting a few areas that deer have started to show up and am thinking a substitute may be in order.

I really want a rifle to continue to be able to shoot fox and the like from 50 to 200yrds and also take a few deer.From a few trail cams I've up they are red and sika deer with maybe some hybrids.I won't be shooting the big stags as I'm not interested in the hardship and there's a local lad who's set up for them.

Land is flat grass and crops bordering horrible spruce forest's so my idea is early morning or late evening and take them as they head out to graze or in crops case trample it before eating a small amount.

So what would ye advise.I know some will say keep 223 and buy a deer rifle but I'm happy with 1 rifle for both and my shotgun for birds.Thanks in advance.

Post edited by Asus1 on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'll always recommend a 308 simply because of the versatility of it.

It's one of the most common calibers so ammo is never "short". Also the variety of ammo means you can go from a flat shooting 123gr round to big "lobbing" 185gr round and then everything in-between.

The sweet spot is usually in the 150-155gr with. 1:12 twist.

The 308 is plentiful in terms of options of styles, makes, models and brands. They also resell very well.

There are "better" calibers and flatter shooting ones but they're either not as popular or a caliber that is so limited interns of ammo availability that it limits what you can do or might want to do in the future.

So first vote is for the 308.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BSA International

Reds, Sika & foxes, .308, for reasons Cass mentioned above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I would err on the side of 308 too(same reasons as Cass & BSA), but if you wanted a flatter shooting round with a similar enough price the 243 is a deer capable round, and more than adequate for foxes or anything smaller than the Irish deer breeds.

There is also 6.5 creedmoor which has gained in popularity, but seems to be a bit more pricey than the 308 too.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

.308 is a really established calibre for deer for the reasons outlined above. If you’re considering it, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

For the sake of an option to compare to, and only because you mention foxes and not shooting big stags and the ranges you mention. The only other option I’d consider would be .243. Fast, fast, and a great fox calibre.

They’d be my choices depending on specifics

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Well seems 308 is the favourite at the moment and I can probably see why as it's a tame shooting rifle with ammunition plentiful.I was expecting everyone to say 243 but I wonder is it a calibre going out of fashion or are the options just better now.

• Advertisement

I would have said 243 if you were going be stalking Fallow only. Reds & Sika a bit more "poke" is better IMVHO

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

.338 lapua magnum. Accuracy international ACMX.

Just cos 😈

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've owned a few .243s over the years and loved each one of them. The problem was ammo was becoming less and less available. To be fair I wanted a specific brand but no one was getting them in. I moved to another and it also became hard to get. Not impossible, just harder.

The 243 is flatter than the 308, no argument there however the 308 is much harder hitting with anything from 25-40% more impact energy at distances from 100 to 500 yards.

If 243 ammo was as varied and plentiful as 308 then my decision would be much harder and my recommendation wouldn't be as quick for the 308.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Started with a .243 and then moved to 308 for many of the above mentioned reasons, but because I was also using it for target shooting there is a better selection of cheaper ammo for punching holes in paper. 308 or 243 will knock anything we have in deer species in Ireland, so unless you are doing a lot of walking and hill work or you are a smaller statue, then go the 308.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

I'll be the odd one out and say .270 Win.

I've used both .308 win and .270 win and in my opinion the .270 win is the superior cartridge (in a bolt action rifle anyway). For the same bullet weight, it is flatter shooting and harder hitting than .308 with a better ballistic coefficient (less affected by the wind) and you can get anything from 110gr Laser beams that will mince foxes (and take most deer) to 156gr round nose bullets that will take the biggest stags on this island.

The bog standard 130gr bullets will easily do both jobs too, providing the best of both worlds.

The one advantage I will give the .308 is the recoil is very noticeably more comfortable when unmoderated, but if using a silencer then you won't be able to tell the difference.

Every gun shop in the country will have quality .270 ammo too so don't let people tell you that ammo availability is an issue. Especially in this day and age of online shopping and home delivery!!

• Advertisement

All advice is greatly appreciated.Im not going to be target shooting so ammunition price is not a huge consideration but I like everyone likes to pay as least as possible for the best ammunition and all the above mentioned calibres are reasonably priced.

Quick question,can you do this new deer course with my 223 or does it need to be a deer caliber shot.

I did it last year. Has to be a "deer" calibre. You can rent a rifle if you don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Rescueme0007

There's always an outlier in these things and I'm it for this topic. I would advocate considering a 6.5 X 55 SE (6.5 Swede) a little more ooomph! than the .243 (almost exactly the same as the 6.5 creed). Pleasant to shoot, accurate, has a high ballistics co-efficient and popular for the last 100+ years in Scandinavia on game up to the size of elk. Readily available ammo in most gun shops. Normally possible to pick up a good specimen, in good condition second hand. As the recoil is so minimal it allows the shooter to concentrate on shot placement. More than adequate for any of our deer and no fox will complain!😊

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

In rifles of the same weight and a mid range bullet weight in each calibre is there much difference in the recoil of each?

Would it increase gradually from. 243 to .308 or would something like a 270 have more kick than a 308 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I was told there would be way more kickback off a .270 than the .308 I was used to but there's not really. Maybe if you're shooting at targets for a couple of hours there could be a noticeable difference but when you're only firing a few shots a week out hunting just brace yourself and there's no difference.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Generally the less weight in the bullet means less recoil, in rifles of the same weight.

Have a look here, some decent data which aligns pretty well with my experience:

https://backfire.tv/recoil/

Also taking it you mean bare muzzle, since different comps/brakes/suppressors make a sizeable difference to both felt and actual recoil.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Go into your local, and other firearm dealers as look to see what ammo they have on the shelf. Then decide on what calibre to go for.

That's what I did many years ago and decided on a 308. Shot many deer with since then and a few fox.

But to be honest IMO it's too much for shooting foxes, get a 223 for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Gazlam

I'm a massive fan of 30-06 and .270. The 30-06 is the most versatile calibre IMO. However in Ireland ammo selection and availability makes it less versatile.

When visiting the RFD,s and websites it seems to me the 6.5cm is the most popular rifle and ammo available.

You can go from 95gr V-max leaving the barrel at 3300FPS or 143-150gr.

Now I wouldn't be the biggest CM fan, but it is one heck of a cartridge and has been proven.

• Advertisement
Advertisement