Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn Advice

Options
  • 24-08-2023 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Looking for advice on a new lawn, as it doesn't look the healthiest. My main concern is the yellow grass colour.

We're a new build, the lawn was sown in mid-May, and it's around ~2000 sqm in size. Only existing topsoil from the site was used, and I'm told a no.2 seed was sown, along with a slow-release fertiliser being applied. In hindsight we could probably have done with getting more topsoil, as the entire site is full of sizeable rocks and a lot of them have now surfaced as you can see in the photos. That's another job I need to tackle...The soil itself was good quality according to the landscaper, however I know there were areas with builder rubble/waste buried, as I tried to remove a bunch of it.

As I said, it was sown in mid-May when we unfortunately had weeks of scorching sunshine with hardly any rain, meaning I had to use sprinkers etc. to water the lawn as best I could. Given the size of the lawn, this was pretty tough, and I'm inclined to think the seed/fertiliser didn't get anywhere near the water it needed. In saying that, prior to the 1st cut/top, it did look quite healthy and I don't recall it being as yellow as it is now.

There is one area in the corner of the garden that is very healthy looking however - noticeably greener and more lush, and it grows faster, but I'm not sure why that is. There's also a couple of spots where our dog tends to piss, and again these spots look much healthier/greener, making me think that the lawn could probably do with some nitrogen(?). Along the site boundary, you can see from the photos that the grass is healthier looking also. There are also areas where rocks are either surfacing, or are just under the surface, and these areas have no grass and are bumpy/uneven. I'm presuming I need to dig these out and replace with topsoil and re-seed and level.

I've got a robot lawnmover that's currently cutting/trimming the lawn daily, at the max cut height of 6cm. 

Photos below. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Advertisement