Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Stress

• 24-08-2023 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I work in Civil Service, moved Departments on Mobility a year ago to be closer to home but there's such a negative atmosphere in the office, lack of training and I don't feel confident in my work even a year into it leading to feeling v stressed out and burnt out and not being able to switch off from work mindset in the evenings as a result. Very long hours for no reward. I'm v irritable and it's affecting my health. I can't transfer for a year so I'm seriously considering quitting and taking my chances for another Department in the next EO campaign as life is too short to be feeling this way about work. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Hi,

This all sounds very familiar to me.

I have been in a very similar situation. I would recommend doing the next EO Competition & trying to escape or holding tough for a mobility transfer.

Having worked in a few different departments I feel that departments/ offices like the one you're currently in are rare.

Can you contact the Employee Assistance Officer? They might be able to offer some advice.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Hello, thanks for that. When you say departments like the one I'm in is rare, you also say you were in a similar situation previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Hi,

There aren't so many Departments that treat their staff as badly, in my experience anyway.

I have worked in one that is just like you described. I was there for 4 years. And I left when I got mobility. I was burnt out and exhausted. I never felt like I was doing enough, despite going above & beyond. The department is just ridiculously understaffed & have no training.

Previous departments I worked in had great training units & had enough staff to actually get the work done & for their staff to learn and get a feel for the job. My new department is a lot better too. I am glad that I waited for mobility to come up even though I really wanted to get out.

I think the older & more established Departments generally have more support for their staff.

Good luck with your decision. It's really hard being in that position. But you won't be there forever & mobility will eventually come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 VanBer

@Itchyfeet89 do you have blended working at this point? At least that might take the stress off being in a negative environment? I’m in the exact same situation right now as you but am only there couple of months but it’s scary to think after a year that things might not improve. I was hoping that when I get blended working, that might take the stress off but from reading your post I’m putting in mobility request tomorrow to keep my options open 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Missy95

Was this DSP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Missy95

Is this DSP by any chance?

Advertisement