Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wake Turbulence

Options
  • 24-08-2023 3:39pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A quick question. Was flying to Dubrovnik today when we encountered strong turbulence, I believe is called wake turbulence as it was caused by an Air France aircraft in front. This was about an hour into the flight, lasting some 10mins or so.

I'm not too knowledgeable on these things but I didn't realise this would happen mid air too, thought it was more so during take off and landing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

This is the worst recent example I’m aware of in cruise:

I also recall reading an online article from a 777 skipper who encountered severe wake turb in cruise when 1000 ft below and 80nm behind an A380.

It is most likely to be encountered in departure or approach phases of flight but if traffic, winds and atmospheric conditions allow, it can be encountered at any time.

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Saw this recently and thought it an excellent visual display of the phenomenon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

More likely during take-off landing as physical separation is lower and traffic is higher. But its definitely possible mid-flight.

EG. aircraft 10 KMs in front of you and flying above you, very low windspeed so any wake turbulence doesn't get disrupted by the ambient atmosphere. But a slight breeze "drops" the turbulent air 1-2000 feet lower. A few moments later, your aircraft flies right into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

One of the more recent 'Mayday/Air Disasters' episodes (S21E7) covered a USAF KC-135 that had 2 engines ripped off and almost crashed during the Gulf War. It was attributed to wake turbulence from another KC-135.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

With such high risks I'd have thought some would be done to avoid it happening to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Wake turbulence separations are applied based on the size of the leading aircraft vs the ones following. Sometimes you can’t predict how far back the wake will actually persist for.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It's called minimum separation and it done 1000s of times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This one didn't end so well (pilot OK)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
Advertisement