Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foe (Saoirse Ronan/Paul Mescal)

Options
  • 24-08-2023 5:00pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New film with Saoirse Ronan and Paul Mescal. Filmed in Australia nearly 2 years ago now, but there's finally a trailer. Based on a book, I believe, and directed by Garth Davis.

"The lives of a married couple are turned upside down when a stranger arrives at their farm and informs the husband he will be sent to a large space station, and his wife will be left in the company of someone else."

Premiering at NYFF. Released by Amazon in US in October. I'm assuming there'll be a cinema release before it ends up on Prime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Interesting

I wonder which was written first out of this and the last series of Black Mirror, as the initial premise is basically identical to Beyond The Sea

Also, if they're going to have those leads couldn't it be set in Ireland? 😋

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The book it's based on was published in 2018, it's from the same author who wrote I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

Agree about the Irish thing. It's the future where there's space ships and robots and what not but apparently no Irish people 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Another Oscar nomination for Saoirse likely Paul too maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Filmed in Australia nearly 2 years ago now

Always think it must be a bit of a drag for actors to, well, act all enthused when doing publicity for such a delayed-release project they have probably long moved on from professionally and emotionally.

Unimpressed review here

It does seem like a movie that would work better as a book, the text better able to absorb the wordlessness of Junior and Hen’s crumbling marriage, the sinister waiting days before his departure and the eerie bareness of the climate crisis better than Davis’s film, which feels more remote and repetitive than provocatively alien. 

• Advertisement

Yeah, Matt Neglia from NextBestPicture gave it 1.5 stars.

One to forget, it seems. They both have several other films coming out soonish so we'll just pretend this blip never happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly it looks like ponderous and dull; not exactly like something else I've seen but has that slight vibe of being very cookie cutter, just with the addition of "proper" actors.

The trailer made it look like either they're keeping a lot secret OR..... there's nothing happening in it. Might still see it, but maybe not in cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

let me guess

shes already a robot?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I can scarcely believe that a film about AI, or whatever, that starred Ireland’s two biggest young actors was so big a flop that people weren’t even bothered to complain about it here.

I was visiting home from abroad and planned to see it, but by the time I got back it had already been pulled from cinemas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

I saw it and liked it!

From what I can gather from reviews there isn'tm much story to Foe and it works much better as a novel than a film. If that's the, erm, story, there's only so much even the best cast and crew can do with it.

Advertisement