Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir modem returned, got billed €59.99

Options
  • 24-08-2023 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I left Eir in June, and I returned the modem via DPD. To my surprise I got a bill of €59.99 today saying the modem wasn't returned.

I got onto Eir customer support via Facebook messenger. They looked the DPD collection number.

Luckily I still had the email and told them. Just got a reply saying thanks for getting in contact, the charge will be dropped. No apology or anything.

What kind of gangsters are they at all? They better not go ahead and take the €59.99 or I will be getting in contact with Comreg.

Anyone else have the same experience when leaving Eir?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Do you pay via Direct Debit? If so, block Eir from collecting from your account. Even if you don't, and they take it via DD, you can recall it within 8 weeks, and you don't need to provide a reason.

It's trickier if you have a continuous payment set up by card though

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Thank, I will block the direct debit, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Eir.......

They are p1ss poor with this sort of stuff. Their customer service is woeful. I've been with them twice and i never again will go near them

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

The unreturned equipment charge is common across all providers. Eir wants their modems back, Sky wants their Sky Q boxes back etc. So this sort of query happens from time to time.

Why were you billed €59.99 even though you returned it?

Either it was returned too late which is what they most likely would blame on.

Or quite possibly DPD never bothered to mark your parcel as received which never sent notification to your account. Computer thinking you never returned it simply generated a charge. Customer Care removed the charge since thankfully you had evidence.

My understanding is that they changed their postal provider from Fastway to DPD. But looks like new provider, same old problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DaveHD

Yes happened to me when I got NBI broadband. Even though I contracted to eir for their Gb service and sent the six year old modem back in original box and with their return labels they still billed me. Luckily I had the postal receipt however when I rang them they simply said it was a mistake and removed the charge. They are famously inept

• Advertisement

It was returned on time within a week of them requesting it's return. I urge anyone to stay a mile away from Eir if you have any common sense.

Oh and DPD must have marked it as received as Eir customer support was able to track it when I told them the DPD tracking code!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I signed up to Eir earlier in the year but they were unable to install due to lack of infrastructure. They have been billing me ever since but I managed to cancel the direct debit in time. I can't view the bills because my account doesn't exist. I have made numerous attempts to get the issue resolved by phone, email and online chat. They just tell me the account doesn't exist and that their billing dept will call me back but they never do. I tried returning the modem but again, sorry account doesn't exist, billing will be in touch etc. Shocking company.

Is there any consequence to them continuing to issue me bills and thinking I owe them money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Make a GDPR request for all the information they hold on you including bills. They have 30 days to respond and companies tend to meet this as the fines are potentially massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

When you close your account, any complaints you have made which will be linked to the account will also close....!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Contact Comreg. The usual formal procedure is that if you have an issue you take it up with the company first and if that fails you refer it to Comreg.

Explain to them that you have had enough dealings with Eir and ask them can they help you to resolve the matter.

you could also try telling Eir that you will contact the Irish Times consumer people - they have had lots of dire coverage there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well I managed to get my issue resolved by some combination of emailing ccm@eir.ie and submitting a complaint form https://www.eir.ie/complaints/forms/. The first time I was ignored until I requested a reference number and said I was going to ComReg, then I got a call within 24 hours telling me the bill had been cleared.

Advertisement