Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom cost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭con747

You might be best just posting a screenshot of the bathroom, if you do buy it your address is public knowledge with that post. @BABYDOLL

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I got quotes for a very small bathroom refit. 1.5x1.9 Completely gutted, then new shower, vanity, toilet, heater. 10k. Your bathroom will cost a few k more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gus75

I have been quoted 12k for a tiny (0.9x1.5) under-stairs with just basin and toilet, where the pipes are ready... only to put tiles, basin, WC, macerator, a light wall and door.

A local bathroom shop quoted 3.5k for materials and said the rest should be about 4k.

Where do I find a decent contractor to do the job at that price?

Post edited by Gus75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Our bathroom is tiny 1.7 x 1.9. My husband did it himself- cost about 6k. We replaced bath, tiles, flooring, radiator, whb, lighted mirror, plasterboard etc etc. Took forever but it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gus75

Thanks though my "tiny" is less than half your "tiny" 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I just done my own bathroom for 3k. Done the tiling myself and got a plumber to do the toilet, vanity unit, radiator and shower/bath. Got most of the materials from tile merchant. Would have cost me about 13k to get it done by a company. A tiler i knew wanted 4k to tile it and that was me supplying the tiles. So he wanted 2k a day. Heart surgeons aren't getting that ffs. Anyway, they will all be crying and begging for work when it dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Tiling is handy enough if you're up for it. You dont need many tools either. I got a 600mm tile cutters off amazon for €30 as it was missing the instructions. Tiling trowel can be got for a tenner, level, tape, pencil etc.

I can't understand where bathroom companies are getting their prices from. As mentioned, I've done a high spec full fit of my bathroom for 3k. It would easily cost 13k to get it done. So they are charging 10k for labour and its max a weeks work. So in that case, if I'm a plumber who can tile, I can potentially earn 10k a week or 520k a year. I was serving my time as a plumber with HA o Neil in the mid 90s but left it. Sick now I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I have a waterproof board to the shower walls and a gypsum plasterboard to the other walls. What is the best way to prepare both walls for tiling. I have already applied a waterproofing 'paint' to the waterproof board. I take it the plasterboard needs to be either skimmed or acrylic primer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Have you tanked the shower area? You have to. Then tile away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement