Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung American fridge freezer not cooling

• 26-08-2023 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

I have an American fridge freezer it's about 14 years old. The top of the fridge is 10c and the bottom is -4, panel is saying it's 12c and the freezer is correct at -16.

It seems there is ice on the back at the bottom. It was completely defrosted about 4months ago.

Every few months I hear a loud noise from a fan, sounds like it's hitting off ice and it warms up, inturn it on/off a few times and it works, but not this time.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

There is a leak in the compressor system , ours died the same way , its not commercially viable to have it fixed , i.e. the cost of repair is almost the cost of a new replacement.

Time for a new unit , and I recommend you stay away from Samsung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

@andy1249 sounds like he might be right, but before you ditch the Samsung, try fully defrost both the fridge and freezer paying attention to any vents between the freezer and fridge. I often have an icing issue which blocks the flow of cold air on my Whirlpool, and sometimes causes the bottom of the fridge to become too cold and freeze the veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Had a similar issue some time back and it was indeed because the vents were being blocked. Check where the vents in your model are and it might be a simple fix. They are a great unit, mine is going 15 years, touch wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ya thats what it was I dissembled it, all the coils frozen in a big block. Seems the foam seals are gone and you have to replace the back inside panel, which I am not sure if worth it. Will see how it goes and might just get a new one in Jan sales

Advertisement