Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain - Women World Cup Champions - 1 week later. (How not to manage a crises)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no. Rubiales would have been seen as a reformer for the Spanish FA. The guy he replaced and a whole bunch of others were arrested on corruption charges.

He constantly stands up to La Liga who have absolutely no interest in Spanish football at international level. Most recently when their president tried to victim blame Vinny Junior for the consistent horrific racist abuse he received.

Under his tenure the women were put on pay parity with the men, going further than any other association and granting them a percentage of sponsorship deals.

The womens team have gone from a ill disciplined unprofessional mess to World Cup Champions.

The charge against him during the rebellion was he didn't care about womens football, now you can argue about the appropriateness of his celebrations but there is no argument that he cares and is absolutely ecstatic at the victory, ironically it is going to cause his cancellation and with it in all probability womens football in Spain going backwards again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Another angle, there's just no proof that she was trying to lift him up. On top of this, he'd be sharing the footage far and wide if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah. All the people so concerned about protecting women from trans women don't give a shìt about protecting women from cis men. Very telling.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Shameful. He was creepy as fùck towards half the team and now you're engaging in victim blaming.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

"If she is the aggressor" 🙄

Christ, there is a video. It was broadcast worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Where does the picture of him lifted up come from then? Is that another player lifting him/him jumping into her?And again with all the cameras in the world she exits one camera angle and we don't see the transition into the second angle.

It doesn't matter. She has been clear she didn't consent to the kiss. His behaviour was creepy as fùck with Jenni Hermoso and other players. Your victim blaming is disgusting.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Well, I am shocked at the crossover between a certain rapists apologists and the Rubiales creep.

Shocked I tell you.

Have any of his defenders read Hermoso’s statement in full?

"It doesn't matter" . Says it all really. Destroy a man, his career and legacy because it's doesn't matter what she may have done. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't see anyone defending him.

He has made the allegation that she lifted him first and there is a video grab that may or may not show this.

All people are asking is a for a verified full unedited genuine video of the whole interaction from start to finish. That will clear it up.

At this stage, none of are surely stupid enough to believe every random image we see. Are we?

• Advertisement

Yep, apparently she's a liar and aggressor 😶

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

now you can argue about the appropriateness of his celebrations

That’s one way of putting it 😒

And sure your post definitely explains why the Spanish FA would threaten legal action against a player for speaking out about the behaviour she endured that would damage his reputation and the reputation of the Spanish FA, but even taking this single incident in isolation - his achievements don’t don’t count for shìt when he demonstrates such disrespect for his players that he didn’t even think about the position he put them in on the international stage with his behaviour towards them, fuelled by an attitude that because of his achievements, he was untouchable, indispensable, and everyone should be grateful for his involvement in the sport. He isn’t alone in the attitudes which fuelled his behaviour, and to suggest that the team couldn’t have achieved what they have achieved without being treated like crap is just nonsense really. The team have achieved what they did, in spite of how they were being treated.

One has nothing to do with the other, but Hermano puts it better in her full statement:

It is not up to me to evaluate communication and integrity practices, but I am sure that as the World Champion, we as a team do not deserve such a manipulative, hostile, and controlling culture. These types of incidents add to a long list of situations that the players have been denouncing in recent years.

"This incident, one in which I have been involved, is the final straw and what everyone has been able to witness on live television during the celebration also comes with attitudes like the one we saw this morning and have been part of our team's daily life for years.

https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/futbol/news/jennifer-hermoso-full-statement-luis-rubiales-rfef-spain

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

That's completely disingenuous. Nobody wants to see women hurt (or men hurt, come to that), but all footage I have seen shows that this was not something this particular woman needed protecting from. That is, regardless of what she said afterwards. You can't be assaulted after-the-fact because you decided you didn't like it after all. To call this an attack on a woman who needs protecting is to minimise any woman (or man) who has genuinely suffered an attack or genuinely needs protection whether it's from a trans or a cis person.

You don’t see anyone defending him, really? Have a read through the thread again and tell me if he has no defenders here.

The usual crew are defending him, as they do with most people that assault women. Shame he wasn’t trans, they might have stoood up against him then.

Funny that.

I have absolutely no idea what 'trans' has got to do with the issue under discussion. Or why people might seek to drag it in?

Let's see a genuine verified video of the full incident and then we can verify what we all think happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If his story is true and evidence exists that she grab him by the hips and lifted him towards her crotch.

Then you will never see that because it never happened. I watched the game and the celebrations and the awarding of the medals afterwords all live ffs.

He is the liar not her. That creep should be sacked and never allowed near football again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is the only way female football will get any real air time, it was the same when Australia faced Ireland, it was more off the field stuff that got coverage - the break up of Rushea LittleJohn and Katie McCabe resulted in a frosty reception for Katie's 'friend' Catlin Forde from Australia.

Thing like this 'Spanish kiss' are jumped on by those with agendas who never have nor never will have any interest in women's football.

Will this incident result in more women watching women's sports? As a result of the publicity?

What will the conversations be?

Girl A - Did you see the match?

Girl B - Me too!

--

No, it will be all gossip and societal based because that will the main level of interest. It will have little to do with actual football. That is what women are interested in, not the sport itself.

--

As for the incident itself the Spanish FA fella Luis Rubiales - should have played the PR game and grovelled - it was not a place to show his cojones.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Well what is the source and origin of the image in https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121032557/#Comment_121032557

If true, the implication is that this is an AI generated image. If it is, that's a very serious allegation against the Spanish FA. Is that what you're saying?

The team have achieved what they did, in spite of how they were being treated.

Nope, you can't win the elite trophies at world cup level with an ill disciplined and unprofessional squad of players.

It's not a coincidence that they went from no hopers to World Champions once the trouble makers were weeded out from the squad.

Again the people giving their hot takes now had absolutely no interest in what happened then or womens football in general, they are all over it now though, because there good fashioned online witch hunt to be had!

The Spanish FA and the President are entitled to defend themselves, I think most people are sick to the teeth of straight to cancellation, do not pass go, do not get 200.

It's going to be the absolute death knell of the vital essence that is/was Me Too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Let us not forget that Irish players accused Columbian players of physical abuse and walked off a pitch 20 mins into a match just a few weeks ago.

Or that our own head coach has also been accused of abuse.

The English womens team has been accused on multiple occasions as racist!

The only upside in all this, the womens World Cup, is that it costing FIFA (the corrupt b##tards) a fortune in revenue and heaping negative media attention on sleazy football administrators, a win win for all of us I say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

His general behaviour during the medal ceremony was well off. He was bear hugging the players way too strongly and invading their personal space. He's not their friend or confidant and many of the Spanish women probably barely even know the guy or have ever had a conversation with him.

The queen and infanta were also hugging and invading their personal space and I very much doubt they hang around regularly with the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭Augme

The hugging isn't really a problem. Repeatedly kissing almost every single player was. It's extremely inappropriate and creepy behaviour. A man who behaves like that should not be in the position he is in. As for grabbing his crotch in the box, wtf? So weird.

The queen and infanta's hugging was less full on - more of a warm embrace for each player. Rubiales was very hands on and physical - he seemed completely oblivious to the fact that it might be an inappropriate thing to do with younger women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

I've been involved in coaching soccer teams for the last fifteen years and it's getter harder and harder to get coaches. I don’t condone the actions of Rubiales, but it's so easy to have a go at people involved in refereeing, coaching and administration.

I'm no longer involved with women's teams, but our women's team don't have a manager at the moment. Men are reluctant to get involved with women's teams now. If you're managing any underage team, expect plenty of abuse from parents and smart comments from players who are aged twelve and over. Referees are shouted at, swore at and threatened on a regular basis. We even saw Katie McCabe shouting at Vera Pauw during the World Cup and the squad snubbing VP at the post WC reception. It's always a one sided issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Of course the players know who is he for God sake.

If you watch the video the majority of the embraces were initiated by the players.

There is nothing in this guys history that points to him being some sort of chauvinist sex pest.

He has done more for womens football in Spain then all his predecessors combined, in terms of conditions, pay and popularity. Exactly what Women in professional football want.

The video for me clearly is of a guy that is absolute ecstatic of what they have achieved. I firmly believe the players had absolutely no problem with it until a problem was created.

It's people like him that drive womens football forward to help them achieve the parity they crave. Actual actions, not soundbites or condescending applause.

It's worth pointing out the President of the English FA didn't bother his hole going to the match.

When I say 'know' the guy, I mean of course they know he is the President of the Spanish FA and have probably met him a few times, but that doesn't make him their close personal friend or confidant - and he is very much the supremo of Spanish football and in a position of authority.

Even if he got carried away with over exuberant celebrations on the pitch, all he had to do was apologise to Hermoso and her team mates and admit he lost the run of himself after the game and didn't mean to invade their personal space or detract from their win.

• Advertisement

Advertisement