Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain - Women World Cup Champions - 1 week later. (How not to manage a crises)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I firmly believe the players had absolutely no problem with it until a problem was created.

But it’s quite clear from Hermano’s account, that’s simply not true, it doesn’t matter whether you personally believe otherwise.

It’s as though you imagine greatness cannot be achieved without making people suffer, and that’s simply not true either, and there are countless examples to draw from of greatness which has been achieved without treating anyone with disrespect, but rather by treating people with respect, and adhering to that discipline you mentioned previously. Because anyone who behaves as Rubiales did, and as the Spanish Football Federation did in threatening Hermano with legal action, doesn’t know the first thing about discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If Luis Rubiales was clever he would have made a statement of contrition. Made a donation to a women's group. said how he has learnt of the experience. Played those with an agenda at their own game. But I think Rubiales pride would not let him do so, so he dug a deeper hole for himself. He has no chance now, I think.

Not a hope in this day and age of optics and agenda setting, which he has now lost complete control of.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

"Less full on" that's the moral equivalent of telling the judge " well I only starved him to death, your honour, the other lad ate him'"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Polar101

If people like him are the ones driving womens' football forward, then something is badly wrong. You'd think it would be the players themselves who are in the main role in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Suffer?

What in the name of Jaysus are you talking about?

15 players went on strike because they did not like the management teams "conservative" training methods.

They publicly defied the whole management structure of the international setup and thought they knew better.

It is up there as the greatest showing of petulance and unprofessional in modern football.

We saw to a lesser extent in the Irish squad but no less professional.

If womens football want parity with mens football the professionalism has to be there. It's clearly not.

We saw Pep openly berate probably the best striker in the world at the moment last week. If he did that to a female player there would be the usual lunatics who have absolutely no interest in any sort of sport calling for his arrest.

• Advertisement

It's not my opinion he has done more for womens football in Spain than all of his predecessors combined.

Including now being part of their first major international honour.

He did apologise the day after.

Nothing was stopping the witch hunt and cancellation, because this is very little to do with an over excited peck on the lips.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He apologised, then backtracked and said the whole thing was consensual and made up quotes from her in a press release.

An "over excited peck on the lips" to junior is going to get you in trouble absolutely anywhere. It was quite clearly and obviously not an appropriate thing to do and his behaviour since has been the worst possible at every turn. For gods sake, the Spanish FA were threatening legal action against the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It has alot to do with him claiming she gave him consent which she has countered as a lie. He has then threatening her, through the FA with suing her. He has dug his own grave with his lies and actions. You seem to have no sympathy for the woman and her treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement

Why are people equating the euphoria of winning a world cup with working in an office. It's weird.

He apologised and then it was clear he was to be cancelled.

He is entitled to defend himself, isn't he?

The press release was issued to the AP on the Sunday, the claim is she was pressured to give it.

I have sympathy for both because this fiasco has very little to do with either of them which I stated previously.

The now entrenched militancy they have both adopted has absolutely no reflection on what actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Men should be allowed to kiss women on the lips if they are in the mood. Consent is something only woke feminists care about. That's the message from the men's rights incels. Their whole movement is about men having dominance over women. They have some very scary views on what they consider appropriate sexual behaviour from males.

I don't see militancy on her side. She has just released a statement. He has threatened to sue her to shut her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And here's their guiding light

Maybe Rubiales overestimated his own star rating...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really good read, this incident really is just the tip of the iceberg...serious issues with him already and with RFEF in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,245 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, and playing devils advocate….

He either got caught up in the emotions of the occasion and or maybe had a little too much to drink …

Rubiales is Spanish, his team just won a World Cup…. With him present…as the President of the Federation…..

was his behaviour appropriate ? No…

was it professional given he’s there in a professional capacity and not a fan ? No…

he didn’t commit a crime however, he just let the emotion of the occasion get the better of his judgement….and looked like a ridiculously overexcited needy teenage weirdo gimp in front of the world… totally inappropriate but nothing more, guy is an eejit, nothing worse.

ideally…. shake hands, smile… “ hey, you were brilliant, well done, you did your country proud, thanks for everything “

She is only one of many doing that yet she is the only one being threatened with being sued. She was the object of his unwanted affection yet you think he deserves equal sympathy.

You might reflect on why you are in minority position in thinking he should retain his position.

You might reflect on why you are in minority position in thinking he should retain his position.

What makes you think my opinion on the situation would be in the minority?

• Advertisement

From all the players managers people even in the FA who Rubiales can threaten going against him and the majority of commentators in Spanish society. Society it seems is against this behaviour now, no matter how much you think this should not be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,425 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What he did was inappropriate, but by jaysus folks are way OTT in their analysis/take on it, which is if no surprise really… seemed nothing intentionally sexual what he did. He was giddy, excited, elated and it happened spontaneously for a split second. Had it been a man he did it too there’d be no story!!

That doesn't prove my opinion would be in the minority. That is just silly.

I have been honest and forthright in my opinions on what happened, coloured by the backdrop of the historical context which I followed because I actually have an interest in football.

You can try and debate those actual opinions instead of dismissing them by using some made up gauge.

People don't usually like to give their opinions when it comes to things like this because they will be accused of wrong think or being rapist apologists.

Much like this has turned into you just have entrenched militant view points with no room for reasoned debate.

He will be cancelled, primarily because the sponsors are making noise.

In the long run incidents like this will be the death knell for the vital essence of Me Too and probably depending on who takes over send womens football in Spain backwards again.

So you think if in the man's world Cup if the fa president kissed a male player in the mouth, then made up the story that the male player gave consent, and then threatened to sue that player when he didn't back him up you believe there would be no repercussions? Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There was an element though of he hijacking the medal ceremony and making it all about him. This was the Spanish players' moment and their achievement and yet he had to gate crash the presentation and almost take it over.

then made up the story that the male player gave consent

How do you know he made the story?

He definitely says something to her before the kiss.

Again there is no room for the establishment of facts, straight to cancelation.

I said we wouldn’t even have a story if he did what he did to a male player.

Like I said, what he did was inappropriate, clumsy. But there is just no common sense, balance or compromise any more.

Mountain ouha molehill all this. Nobody was hurt here.

I wouldn’t hang him for this.

You can ignore the players and coaches all you want and their actions now to oust Rubiales. Sure, just handwave it away and pretend this is the majority position. The manager of the female team who is being offered a half a million euro conract is even against Rubiales now.

You may say you are involved in football but you are in dreamland if you think you could do the same without repercussions and losing your job.

I think you are in the minority. And its not just the actions on the day that should be judged but his actions since that has hung him.

• Advertisement

Hey, he comes across as an abrasive prick. I get that. My point strictly relates to the actual incident.

Had he immediately been contrite and admitted what he did was inappropriate, albeit he didn’t mean it in any sexual way, would you still call for his sacking?

Advertisement