Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction methods in 2023

Options
  • 27-08-2023 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am planning a self build and at the brainstorming stage and planning to apply for planning in the next couple of months and build next year.

I am researching different construction methods. I am not running out the traditional one block on top of another but just keep thinking that in 2023 with all the technology we have today there must be a better and more efficient way in labour, environmental and timeframe.

I am come across this company www.scanhome.ie based in Galway, factory built in Sweden, timber frame with plastered exterior silicate-fiber sheet. They build the shell and leave you with a kit of most other material for local contractors to do. I would love to hear people's opinions on this and perhaps other company's doing similar?

Hemp Block construction - advantage - environmental benefits - disadvantage - expensive

SIP - Structural Insultated Panels https://www.futuretek.ie/ Frame is a panel made by Kingspan

Structural Polysyrene known as M3 http://www.passivehousing.ie/m3-system

Steel Frame & precast concrete https://futurecast.info/

ICF - Insultating Concrete Formwork - I see other forums discussing this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Don't know an awful lot myself but have been looking at this crowd in Mayo

they do most of it, groundwork and even planning .

I don't know anyone that used them, have only seen them being advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

That's great, thank you. I've contacted them for more information and a guide on prices. If anybody has experience with the company or opinions on the method of construction please do share.

Like everything there must be pros and cons and I'd be interested in understanding them.

I assume there are other companies doing similar interesting things or other viable construction methods. If the kind community of boards.ie know of them please do post up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Saermes

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Scanhomes worth a shot if you can use their style of houses, i.e. building in the country or where one of their models would work. I've visited their showhouse in Galway - worth the trip!

Self Build exhibition on in Belfast in October or RDS ideal home next year also good for ideas.

Consider home insurance also - any non standard construction method will limit what insurance companies will insure you post build and their premiums are 3-4x over standard ones. Anything with brick/block is ok, timber frame with block/brick outer leaf is ok, otherwise check.

If you're planning on doing some work yourself then some of those methods may be of interest, otherwise I'd leave it to the Professionals, once it's all covered up you won't care? It's how it performs that matter.

Research Passive House buildings - that's the gold standard I'm planning on building towards but the you need to plan/design from the outset for it. Try visiting one if you can. Really quiet and comfortable. Quirky house shapes like a H design expose too much wall - you want a simple design to make it easier to heat.

I have a meeting with an architect in a few days and doing up my own plans first as brain storming and to learn from it before I let him take over.

How long are ceiling joists typically? i.e. how far apart can the weight barring walls be without adding significant structural cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depends how big the joists are. Wider or deeper joists span further.

If there is a particular span you want to achieve, it’s not overly difficult. I wouldn’t let it negatively influence the room size or layouts personally.

Architect mentioned that he likes building with block but instead on 2 leaf block with cavity, he likes to build with block on flat and external installation. What are peoples opinions on that? He says it uses the same amount of blocks but goes up faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭bfclancy2

its the method i would prefer but you would need to see how the costs compare, i don't believe installation of rigid boards in a cavity can be done to near the same standard as external can be, there are too many complications in the cavity (i say this as a blocklayer with 20 years experience)

Yes, I'd like to know more on how the costs compare. Architect says its a lot easier and faster for the bricklayer. Do you agree bfclancy2?

Not sure how much it would reduce the cost of the brickie and I'd imagine the external insulation would be a fair bit more expensive than simply dropping it into a cavity. I rang two insulation companies today and didn't get a straight answer, they never heard of doing it on a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭bfclancy2

blocklayer will probably still charge you the same price per block regardless of which way you do it. i'd imagine quite a few people are building this way now so don't know what insulation companies you rang but they should have plenty experience of it

• Advertisement

It used the same amount of blocks, that's simply because a block are designed to be half as wide as they are high (and half as high as they are long). But there are other factors that affect cost.

It's no real difference for the block layer. Same number of blocks are you said. They only have to build one leaf, but they have to lay twice as many courses.

Do you think it is a better way to build? Is it worth the extra cost I wonder? I have been unable to work out how much extra it would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭andyd12

I am strongly considering Mannok 210 mm block with EWI for my new build. My father is a blocklayer and he knows the traditional cavity is an outdated method of building.

215 mm Mannok block is 3.90 ex VAT per block.

100 mm Standard block is .66c ex VAT per block.

There will 2/3rd as many blocks in the rising walls using the Mannok method. Plus, you dont need to use the Mannok blocks in the rising walls, just standard blocks.

Half as many blocks above the ground using the Mannok method on external walls. Internal walls don't need to be Mannok blocks only the first course.

The gap in price between Mannok and standard block considerably closes factoring all in above.

Mannok block work will be quicker, cleaner, easier, straighter lines etc particularity around windows and doors

Speaking of insulation:

EWI method is slow and somewhat expensive but so is insulated internal wall slabs. Also factoring in the cost of cavity wall insulation, wall ties etc.

EWI moves the dew point to outside and reduces the need to address cold bridging massively inside.

A 215 mm Mannok block with 200 mm insulation achieves a U-value of circa 0.13. No insulation internally

A 215 mm Mannok block with 250 mm insulation achieves a U-value of circa 0.11. No insulation internally

These are below passive house U-values.

I cannot see the advantage of traditional cavity over a Mannok type method factoring all of the above in

Less blocks needed i nthe rising walls and generally. Should consider Mannock/Thermal block at the slab to reduce cold bridge. Mannock should have example details, if not Roadstone definitely do. Cost could be compared based on sqm not per unit to account for single leaf/half the blocks

Mannok block work will be quicker and easier at some junction. But you'll have to consider changes to water proofing as required at others. Particular DPM

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joannam

I am also considering using 215 mm Mannok thermal blocks for my house extension. Any advice on where to get them in Dun Laoghaire/South County Dublin area?

Advertisement