Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card debt on death

• 28-08-2023 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

I use a credit card to pay all of my expenses and pay it off each month.

I'm just wondering what happens on my death.

How long would the card contribute to be active? How would the bank arrange payment? Would they chase the estate for 1-2k?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,027 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, the estate absolutely is expected to pay all your debts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Credit card debt, bank overdrafts, personal loans

If you have a credit card, bank overdraft or personal loan these are known as unsecured debts. They are not attached to any asset so the creditor does not have the right to take a particular item of property if the debt is not paid.

Lenders are entitled to pursue your estate for these unpaid debts on your death. Repayment of unsecured debts must wait until other priority debts are paid.

Your family does not have to cover your debts unless they have provided personal guarantees. If the loan is in joint names the joint holder will be responsible for any debts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭AnRothar

You ommitted the responsibility of the executor to discharge all debts where assets permit.

It's just below what you quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The card will stay active until the Bank are notified of your death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭3DataModem

To those who find themselves in this situation (i.e. dealing with a credit card debt for a deceased relative), I can tell you Irish banks are very lenient in this regard, especially in the case where a person is unlikely to be probated (e.g. due to the non-marital assets not being material) and the card is held with a bank other than the bank where the persons cash is held. A well worded letter can get the debt written off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement