Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of turf

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

The capital installation cost of the 8kw and jlheat pump were free? Handy man maths 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

idk the exact figure but after grants it came in at round 11k for the whole system. A soild fuel heating system has a capital cost too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In most cases the solid fuel system is insitu. Very few nowadays install SF systems. So the replacement costs of any new system is a factor. I have an oil and solid fuel system that is over thirty years old.

The timber is virtually free and we use about 1k litres of kerosene costing about 870 at present. In you case your system seems to be costing you 500/ year and maintenance costs. Mtce costs will generally be more expensive than SF or oil based systems and my understanding is that HP's have about a ten year lifespan.

Looking at the the saving wound not even cover the internet costs on the money

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

You must have a very well insulated house.

If you had an old cottage you'd also have the cost of insulating which is a significant upfront cost even with grants.

I think that does get forgotten about when talking about how cheap these renewable sources are.

1k of Oil costs 1120 at the moment not 870. Where are you getting your facts from, Heat pumps have a lifespan of up to 50 years, on average they last 15+ years with little or no maintenance. Mine came with a 10 year warranty on all parts. What maintenance costs are you on about, there is none, it's not like an Oil boiler that needs to be serviced every year, or a SF system that has to be cleaned out or Chimney swept.

Interest on money!!? ah ffs get a life

No, it's a 1999 built home. Had the loft insulated and the cavities pumped with bead a few years back, that cost around 800 after grants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If heat pumps are the same tech as milk cooling compressors but in reverse, 50 years lifespan is hugely optimistic and unrealistic.

The newer versions are much improved but even still 10 years would be more like it. And maintenance re keeping gas pressurised would need to happen.

My oil is in the tank at 870 euro for 1k litres I can only work off my present costs. Just like you are. My understanding is that HP do not have that length of lifespan you indicate and some are already being replaced. 10 years parts and warranty are absolutely no use for a few reasons if there is a serious issue the company that supplies the units goes into liquidation, the other factor is labour costs. We all remember the whirlpool 10 year parts warranty, the labour cost was the killer. The only advantage of a ten years parts warranty is as long as the company is in place they have to supply the parts......for ten years after that the issue may be you cannot get the parts.

I have never seen anything with moving parts that dose not have mtce issues and the fans in A/C units which are similar to HP always gave issues. Gas replacement is another issue.

Finally all money has a value, anyone investing in such a set up is looking at a 20k cost at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Thinking of changing myself, I've seen those heat pumps and have gotten mixed reviews. I think the ESB bills are severe if you don't have the solar panels. Have Oil and a stove at present. By the sounds of it you got it done at the right time, things are gone thought the roof price wise at present. Can't even get a quote for anywork to be done until next april so I'll have to solider on with the Oil. Yep got quoted 1150 today for 1k, I'll have to go ahead as theres another carbon tax been added to Oil in the next few weeks. Depressing stuff.

The turf is useless on it's own you'd have to sit on top of the stove to warm yourself then spend a full half an hour in the morning cleaning the ashes out. Spent over 2k last year on Oil and that wasn't over doing it. First fill of Oil came in at 1600 😪

As for the turf the Fecken ash off the turf destroys the place, I've yet to find away of getting the ashes out of the house cleanly. Coal is cleaner but the greens have made that out of the question.

You're just making stuff up now. The price of home heating Oil is there for everyone to see. There are several companies offer very long warranties on there heat pumps. They have moved on significantly, all the main manufactures are using ceramic bearings, balanced rotors and synthetic seals, they just don't break down like you are trying to imply. Gas replacement is not an issue, it can be topped up if needed, but again not something that happens.

Here's my current credit for the Electric

Can you show me an Invoice for 1000L of Home heating Oil for 870?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

It was down to 88 around here 3 MTHS ago. You don't know who you are dealing with, he would go to Iraq with a shovel if he could get it cheaper. As for making stuff up. Telling us that a thing built nowadays will last for 50yrs ??? Are you selling those yokes are what. I heard of massive electricity bills from modern houses and the home are empty all day. I know of one lad with a three year old house and he put in a stove for this winter

• Advertisement

Bought it mid June. It was 87c/L 1 cent cheaper than Agri diesel at the time because kerosene always is I was aware of the carbon tax being levied on it. . What the cost of your HP today and what is the cost of 8kw LV panels at present, because changing any heating systems costs a fortune

It sounds you have more of an insulation issue than a heating cost. First advice is correct your insulation before changing to any different heating system. My house was build in 1991. I insulated the house away above the standard at the time. Added about 5-7% to the build cost at the time. Under the floors are wall insulation (higher U value to floor insulation at the time it was 2'' pink and tongued and grooved standards white 1'').

Wall are pumped with 4'' of Rockwood ( a crowd called Belfast Home insulations from NI did it) and the inside is slabbed with a 1'' insulated board (polyurethane I think). I still get an F rating if I got a BER done as guess what I have no invoice for them. Attics are 6'' Rockwood.

But that insulation has saved me a fortune. Thinking of getting the underneath of the slates done with the spray on Insulation.

House is around 1850 sq foot I think. So not small but not huge either. I do not think the wrap will be of any substantial benifit to me. We have an oil Stanley range which is an inefficient beast. However it has cost us nothing for the last 30+ years in maintenance, you cannot get a condenser burner for them. At present ( next year)we have to either refurbish it ( about 4k) , swop it out for a woodpellet boiler or reconfigure the heating for an external condenser boiler. Any of the options are similar in price.

We have solar tubes on the roof east facing ( 60 of them) which means we have hot water from early March to mid October. That cost about 3k at the ime next, it reduced our oil demand by 100 L/ year so the benefits are very marginal even allowing for any electricity bell reduction

The payback on a solar PV for electricity is about 20+ years and that is assuming low maintenance costs. The Tubes are in ten years and I have had to get the fluid repressurised twice ( about 120 the first time and 160 the second time but I have enough solot fluid for the next time.

My advice is correct your insulation before you change heating systems. More than one person has made that mistake. There was a letter into the IT just before Christmas last year about people who changed to a HP and have serious electricity bill where one bill would cover there heating oil costs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

20+ years to pay back solar pv, standard house system ? Where u come up with that

Getting a loan may not even be an option if someone has other debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What company is your power with? Do you use a smart meter and do get paid or credited for power?

We do turf but a bad summer would put you off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I've 6.4 KW system here on smart meter, ESB credit me the units, last month my bill was 5 euro, washing machine and dishwasher etc all used during production, very happy with it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Would like to know too. My house is well insulated, new porch and front door gone in. Problem with the turf I have there isn't great heat out of it. If I burn coal in the stove you'd be opening the windows to let out the heat after half an hour. I know other lads who have turf in another bog and it's as good as coal.

The heater pump sounds easy, I'd like the idea of free heat, the upfront cost wouldn't be a major hurdle as long as the heating bill went down

We'd all like free heat but heat pumps have a high running cost with electricity unless your house is very well insulated.

There's a big difference in black and brown turf. I've often seen black and brown side by side due to not mixing when cutting. Black turf produces more heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

I've external insulation here on a 4 bedroom bungalow it's a great job, in winter the oil heats the house in 50 mins, 3 - 4 fires in the stove will keep it ticking over for the evening / night. The ashes can be a pain though

Advertisement