Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wahoo Ticker Reliability

Options
  • 28-08-2023 10:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m on my third kicker.

Goes great until battery needs to be replaced.

a couple of battery replacements and the clips on the battery door weaken/fail. Sweat gets in and bye bye ticker.

Is it just me?

any suggestions on replacement battery door?

Post edited by eeeee on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Kickr or Tickr?

Jist mail wahoo for new door. Wahoo are very helpful I’ve found.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume Tickr. How long are they lasting? I have found mine to last longer than the Garmins which have never survived a battery change. Only on my second Tickr in 5 years and that's only because I lost the first one (then found it and it still works). Haven't done too many battery changes though I will admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Had two Tickr’s pack in on me so switched to a Polar. Going strong 3/4 years later and is bulletproof.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sorry, yes its the Tickr

WIll get in touch with Wahoo to see if i can get a few replacment battery doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Never seem to last more than 2 years - I'm on my third one. I found that the battery can be changed but eventaully the readings start to drift and become totally inaccurate. If there is a genuinely better ANT+/BLE alternative out there I am all ears. Not sure if it's the strap or the module that eventually fails. Sweat is corrosive stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Not a Tickr which I looked at as well, but I just bought a Garmin Dual to replace an ANT+ only basic Garmin strap I've had for probably over 10 years now where the actual strap was on its last legs plus I needed a BLE unit to avoid faffing around with ANT+ dongles for Trainerroad. The old strap never had any issues with sweat ingress despite the battery cover being removable with a coin, so decent sealing shouldn't be rocket science, The new one has tiny fiddly Torx screws securing it, so we'll see. The cover is also protected by the actual strap whereas the old one was in skin contact

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

I had the battery door go and flood with sweat giving all manner of crazy readings, 3d printed replacement covers which work very well.

I think the structure of the locking mechanism lends itself to breaking if you are robust with it at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did you 3d print yourself? Any links if bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

If you need some I can run them off and post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

Had 2 Tickrs. First one lasted a year. Second one still working but I don't use it anymore. Got the 2nd one as a warranty replacement.

Had an old Garmin hard strap type that lasted 5 years!! Brilliant HR monitor.

Had a Polar H9. Got a year out of that but that broke but got a warranty replacement on it. Still have that one.

And have a Garmin Dual HRM also now which I got earlier this year and gets most use. I have had no issues with it at all. (fingers crossed)

Disappointed that my original Polar failed. Those H9s are supposed to get 400 hours out of a battery. I could only ever get 80-100 hrs. Same with the warranty replacement one.

• Advertisement

I would recommend the Garmin Dual HRM ahead of either Tickr or Polar. See post above

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: Corrected the thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Are you disconnecting the Polar terminals when not in use? I read that leaving it connected can cause reduced battery life.

I am. Disconnect both terminals. It doesn't cause me issues. I just replace when needed but I was more highlighting that their claim of 400hrs per battery is well wide of the mark

Advertisement