Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera in a kitchen cabinet

• 29-08-2023 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello folks. So, the gist of the matter is - is it legal to instal a camera inside my kitchen cupboard?

To explain a bit more: I have a situation in my shared accommodation - I live with a person that is manipulative, she is a liar, and she is unpredictable in her actions/reactions. She has some narcissistic tendencies and based on reports from her previous housemates/ex-friends, I am not the first one to experience this. I am very afraid of her.

Now, for the question - I was wondering if it would be legal to instal a camera inside MY kitchen cupboard (the one where I store MY food and kitchen utensils, one that no one else uses (we each have our own cupboard), and which she has no business touching). I want to make sure she isn't tampering with my food - you might say that's an extreme thought, but this woman is a tad unhinged, and I want to be safe.

I could install a lock, but I have another housemate who I HAVE allowed to access my cupboard to take certain things.

And please don't tell me to move out - there is no available rooms or houses/flats to rent where I live, and the ones that are available are too far for me (I do not have a car and the bus routes in my town are abbismal). I am looking for a new place every single day, but I am currently stuck with this person, and I just want to be safe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭nachouser

A lock, two keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

With GDPR I would advise you to steer well clear of a camera especially with someone who is appearantly so unhinged.

As above 1 lock, 2 keys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Buffman

100% a lock, as mentioned 2 keys or combination lock. While I don't see any legal issues about installing a camera in your own private space, unless your cupboard has a power socket inside, a lock will be a lot less hassle and cheaper and more of a deterrent to any mischief.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭1874

I saw a news report online about UK student residence accommodation, I think it was more about the accommodation cost/shortages, during the report I noticed that the kitchen cabinets had locks like office furniture, less obtrusive than an actual padlock, but a quick google search suggests this is commonplace.

No lock will prevent someone determined from gaining access, but they'd have to do damage to do so. Having a lock prevents easy access though. Not sure what to suggest about a fridge though? meat/cheese are more expensive, although it seems like you think they may be as inclined to tamper with your food as steal it?

I'm surprised its not more commonplace for shared accommodation, even shared houses to have locks put on cabinets, although it takes a real tightwad douchbag to steal your housemates food, but they exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭1874

How do you put a lock on without damaging the kitchen cabinet door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Buffman

You wouldn't. To fit a proper lock the door would have to be modified, and all permanent modifications like that should be approved by the landlord first.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement