Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Have smart meter in for last 2.5 years now and same issue since 25th with blanks up until today. Most be network/site issue with esb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ESB site for me also showing a gap from the 25th to 28th or so.

But my Pinergy app is accurate throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Sorry if it's been asked before but how long roughly does it take for a smart meter to be installed after the initial request for installation has been made ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pad406

Haven't got any data since the 29th inclusive, in fact not only goes to 6th Sep, though previously had data up to the 28/10.

Anyone else having same issue? Perhaps some glitch related to the hour change for DST?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Got my smart meter installed on the 16th October and was getting data on the ESBN site up until yesterday (missing a few days like everyone else)

Anyway got my Electric Ireland bill this morning and they have estimated my consumption and now the ESBN site is showing no smart meter data?? maybe its all in the process

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ESB site data is very hit and miss. Often I get above message, or you have a very limited date range period you can select from. Buggy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I didn't bother with a smart meter , no need for it

Was expecting to be pressurized by now to get one but heard nothing since ,must be a year since i got the letter

What do you mean, no need for it? Most of us with a home battery, solar PV and an EV are saving a fortune with a smart meter. I have no need for saving another €1000 on my bill, but do I want to have it in my pocket rather than go to the profit of the utility provider? Hell yeah 😂

I might do something eventually with off peak heating or ev

Not much interest in the rest of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

Can you detail how a smart meter is saving you this please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

Pinergy - buy all power at 5c (3 hr window)

Charge batteries every night to 100%, then export as much as possible @ 27c and use as few day 40c units as possible

Post edited by championc on

Cheapest plan available in Ireland (now gone) on day/night non smart plan was Flogas, 15c night rate. Pinergy is 5c night rate. I use night rate for everything (some home heating, all hot water, applicances, 2 EVs, etc.), so saving myself a fortune there. Also I have a large PV setup. Pinergy pay over 27c / kWh that I send back to the grid. That is very generous, pays for all my night use plus at least €1000 my way. Saving a fortune on the gas bill too.

I thought the export was 25c?

Curses to Solis for their balls up on DST.

Wrecked my lovely scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Slightly off topic. But how many kw's can a house draw? I have 14/15 an hour in my head, is that right?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You need to have a better set up.

Very big battery bank that will get you through the the other 21hrs

Load up the batteries on cheap night rate and get paid for export.

Export payments will almost certainly be reduced too. Hopefully not, but I'm expecting it before the end of the 2024.

Post edited by Bobeagleburger on

A basic supply is 12kva

A lot of variables then after that , supply quality and wiring etc

@DrPhilG - the €100 pinergy welcome credit (that nobody else gives), more than makes up for a few hickups like that. Or for the times in deep winter when 3 hours simply won't be enough. That of course and the incredible 5c rate 😁

Very big battery ? I don't think so. You just need to cover your base load for 21hrs plus a few kWh's

As @ Unkel says, you do ALL heavy loads (irrespective of any sunshine) at night. At night, heat water, run dishwasher, charge EV, etc....

I have a 20kWh battery, but I could possibly work with 10kWh.

And yes, you might pull a few kWh's from the grid on a really crap day - big deal - exports on better days will claw that back

• Advertisement

Again it depends on your situation. 10kWh wouldn't be enough for a lot of people.

I'd always put the heavy loads on at night but with small kids there's always inevitable other washes required. Mine anyway!

But yeah, over the year it's going to work out very positive. The Energia smart plan with the 8c four hour window another good option.

You're not getting the point @championc is making. 10kWh indeed is not enough for many people having just 3 hours of night rate and getting you through the other 21 hours. But that doesn't matter. You are making so much profit the rest of the time, that all the days that you are short and have to pay the full whack 47c day rate, are more than compensated by the 5c rate (plus welcome bonus and most generous FIT)

But of course you'd need to do your sums for your situation. What disappoints me though is that many people dismiss the smart meter / pinergy plan out of hand and never bother doing any sums. Or maybe they do that because they don't really know how to do those sums? In that case, we're here to help!

I hate seeing people lose or waste money unnecessarily. If I can do anything to help prevent that, here I am!

No I do get the point. I just wanted to point out to the OP that a good sized battery bank is required to make the Pinergy plan work optimally. They never mentioned their usage I believe,so it was a FYI really.

Personally, I've done the sums and Energia works best for me. Pinergy is next best.

The Facebook group has a spreadsheet that is very good at comparing smart plans based on usage.

You do realise that that, using your HDF file, is based on Imports ONLY ? And I can tell you that there must still be something amiss with it's calculations, since it told me that Energia was €40 cheaper for me than Pinergy, even though I had only imported ONE single day rate kWh in my HDF.

However, when you then factor in Exporting, Energia is blown away by Pinergy

Really? I thought exports were calculated into that file.

I'll take another look later.

Thanks for the heads up

Absolutely NOT included.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I certainly meant the webapp thing, which listed the best plans to be on, and used all current plans available

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Hi,

Does anyone know what the various readings on the RM108 mean? I got mine installed at the beginning of the month but my supplier has billed me for an estimated reading of the day / night tariffs.

I’d rather submit my actual readings & have had a quick look at the meter. Am I right in saying that H+T1 is the night reading & H+T2 is the day reading?

• Advertisement

Facebook spreadsheet.

Not familiar with a web app.

Ok, we were taking about different sources!

Advertisement