Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Serious Car Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

"Not related to this accident but I do think that driving on our roads is reaching a new low"

The stats and records surrounding road injuries and fatalities completely dispute your thoughts on this matter.

• 138 deaths in 2018 vs
    • 212 in 2010
    • 415 in 2000 and
    • 478 in 1990

We have more roads, faster roads, more drivers, more cars, faster cars, bigger/heavier cars and much more traffic in general these days, plus a greater number of more vulnerable road users ....e.g. people on scooters, mopeds etc. than we did in previous years and yet road deaths are a fraction of what they once were. When you take the above just on raw figures alone it looks bad. When you compare them as a percentage of the population, however, it's even more stark.

Deaths per 100 000 population (rounded to nearest whole person)

2020-----------------2010--------------------2000-----------------1990

3---------------------5--------------------------11--------------------14

Deaths per billion vehicle kilometres travelled

4-------------------5---------------------------12---------------------19

That's an 78% reduction in deaths over that time period, and an identical 78% reduction in deaths per billion kms travelled, despite that fact that the numbers of vehicles (2.8 million vs 1 million) and the amount of kilometres travelled (36.2 million vs 24.8 million) have exploded since then.

Recent harrowing tragedies aside, the fact is we have never been safer on our roads. Never, in the history of the state.

Source: https://www.itf-oecd.org/sites/default/files/ireland-road-safety.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Serviced housing😂,

Not a thing in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

I shouldnt indulge you, but why?

If I said "the driver of a car hit me", it could be interpreted by people as I was punched by the driver of a car.

Why would you do this?

It was perfectly clear what the poster was saying. Why would you feel the need to say that?

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Yes, they publish stats etc but it needs to go further. Giving information on each and every accident, not just X amount of phone usage, X amount of poor tyre conditions etc. Reasons for the cause of each individual accidental death may hit home more than lumping numbers together.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not sure if it's in those reports linked but they did announce that in 2021 that over a quarter of those killed were not wearing a seat belt which is madness, the very basics of safety being ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the road surface is unsuitable then slow down.

Also slip roads are fine and offhand I can't think of any where you cannot reach a matching speed in time to merge.

However, I can't think of any of these shrinking back roads that you refer to (and I'd cycle a good few of them in Dublin, Meath, Kildare & Wicklow almost daily). Also bear in mind that our road surfaces are actually quite good when you compare to 20 or 30 years ago. Plus, if you head north of the border, you'll see what crap road surfaces look like.

If someone doesn't want to wear a seat belt then I'll happily tell them to get out of my car before the car moves off - it's not that difficult to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Irish Times did a four-part (iirc) series a few years back called Anatomy of a Car Crash where they did a forensic examination of a fatal accident. It was incredibly well researched and a riveting read.

As others have said, the causes of fatal crashes are often established at inquest. However, inquests tend to happen months if not years after the fact, by which time the news cycle has long moved on and the public generally never hears about the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

In fact the RSA Trend Analysis on Fatalities and Serious Injury shows that serious injuries went up from 472 to 1506 between 2011 and 2019, a 200% increase.

It's a bugbear of mine that media concentrate on fatalities as the be-all and end-all of road traffic stats. While passenger safety improvements may improve survival rates in collisions, I'd be more interested to know how many have been left with life changing injuries.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you travel around Kilgobbin or Greystones much, you'll see how wrong you are.

Because we've spend decades building up a culture that avoids holding drivers accountable for their actions;

'It was an awful accident'.

'I was hit by a car'.

'The car span out of control'.

Crashes aren't accidents, they're crashes. Drivers don't accidentally press the accelerator to speed, or accidentally pick up their phone or accidentally have that drink. These are deliberate decisions that lead to death and injury.

Cars don't hit people. Drivers hit people with their cars. The 'Absent Driver' Syndrome is so well known it has its own Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/absentdriver

If we actually want to stop this CARnage on the road, we have to stop letting drivers off the hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

This exit from Midleton to the main n25 is a disaster and I don't know how a bad accident hasn't happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's well established that improved vehicle safety means that more people are surviving crashes that would have killed them in previous generations of cars. That's obviously going to skew injury rates upwards versus fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Behaviours will only change with enforcement. We saw with the introduction of penalty points (and then the extension of offences), that behaviours changed. Until the population realised they were still extremely unlikely to be caught. Until we grasp that nettle things won't change.

I firmly believe a portal, that is actioned, will make the biggest impact. If drivers knew that any action on any road captured by a dashcam/ pedestrian with a phone/ motorbikecam/ bikecam could result in points or conviction, then the culture will begin to change. RSA is píssing in the wind with all the hiviz nonsense and pleading with motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

More people are aggro/driving like a33holes the last couple of year. It's easy to just go, derp speeding but there is some serious **** behaviour everywhere. I just walked down the road to buy lunch (I live on a main road in Dublin) and I passed two cars with a bang of hash coming out of them with drivers smoking joints openly and a good 5 looking at phones. All in the space of a couple of minutes.

But I don't agree with going hysterical either, unfortunately road deaths will always happen. We could do with some better behaviour all round though.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Nobody is being left "off the hook", especially in the context of why this thread was started.

To say so shows an amazing lack of empathy or ability to read the room.

There's a time and a place for such petty pedantry. I wouldn't have thought this thread was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

From the bottom of that page with the injury figures:

There is a break in the trends for injury collision and casualty numbers from 2014 onwards, which means that serious injury numbers from 2014 are not directly comparable with previous years. This is because there was a change in the way in which the RSA received collision data from AGS in 2014 i.e. a change from a paper based to electronic system

The figures jumped because they were recording them differently (much like the homeless figures over the same period).

In a safer society, an increase in injuries is to be expected, though not by so much. Crashes which would have killed people are now injuring them instead. This is a good thing, in general. It's impossible to compare 2011 to 2019, though, without an adjusted set of figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Best not to even try to reason with somebody like that I find!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭jacool

I get what you're saying, but, is it a good thing?

My wife is a nurse and some of the survivors are facing massive disabilities and relying on carers for the rest of their lives, ending up being looked after like a baby. "Johnny" or "Mary" may be technically alive, but their "quality of life" is so reduced that you wonder is this really a good thing or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

More safety is a good thing.

While there are more people who would be dead instead are alive but seriously injured, there are even more people who would be seriously injured but instead are only mildly injured, so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 IlovemybrickFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Ok since you are still proposing cuckoo land given the current state of our health services, you might put a number on the cost?

Proper cardiovascular treatment(to mention the biggest but just one cause) would involve cardiologist care including

*Lpa blood test(one lab in country checks for it)

*Blood pressure monitoring on every driver

* some type of cardiac imaging

*Stress test

You might do up the bill and let Pascal O Donohue know the bill and you might figure out where we will get the doctors from.

Any other jurisdiction you are aware of with this requirement for all drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

How many involved another vehicle though? It's not just about people in the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

There is an appalling level of bad, careless and dangerous driving on our roads. We do not know the circumstances of the latest horrific tragedy in Tipperary, but in general a lot of driver behaviour is disgraceful, speeding,overtaking on continuous white lines,not reading the road leading to incorrect road positioning, particularly at roundabouts, or not anticipating dangers ahead, tailgating, not using lights properly, particularly indicators and fog lights, using mobile phones, driving too slow which can be as dangerous as speeding, drug and drink driving etc. All those issues need to be seriously looked at, and unfortunately those of us who raise them during tragic times like this are accused of lacking empathy and told that there is a time for this, but not now. When is the right time ? Nine people have died on our roads over the past seven days, seven of them in two car crashes and two in separate motorcycle crashes. It's such a tragic and awful waste of human lives and horrendous for family members who have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I said this a couple of days ago to a family member...apparently they were about 50 yards from their house when it happened too, to leave your house collide with a wall and flip a car killing all occupants would require some speed I'd imagine.Also happened near the entrance of a sports club which could have had more casualties...

It will come out in an investigation, as it does for every crash what likely caused this but it is very worrying we are at the highest levels of road deaths since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Imagine the benefit of having much of the adult population actually interested in passing a stiff medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

And yet from 2014 when the new reporting protocol started, to 2019 there was still a 100% increase in recorded serious injuries.

A good thing that these injuries are now being correctly reported, in order that we have a reliable baseline for year on year comparisons.

Not a good thing that drivers are still crashing cars into trees, walls, cyclists and other road users or pedestrians.

We slap ourselves on the back that fatalities have declined, yet think that more serious injuries is a good thing?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement

You’re making a great argument for legal euthanasia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement