Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Serious Car Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

So no answer to funding or the state of health service. Just usual waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,201 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe if they saw something about being wheelchair bound and having to be fed through a straw and having to have their ass wiped by someone for the rest of their lives after an accident?

Problem with tv ads and documentaries is that people don't really sit down and watch terrestrial tv anymore and they don't want to watch ads or uncomfortable viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,249 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The amount of donuts on roads, both busy roads and rural roads is increasing

I think imho rising the driving age for cars to 21 and for tractors to 18, redoing the driving test every five years, life bans for dangerous driving, drunk driving and drug driving, sorry if that sounds harsh but that's my opinion, too many are still driving with long history offences

My condolences to the O'Reilly family, 3 lives lost, RIP, all fatalities back seat passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Anatomy of a car crash was the series of Irish Times articles in Dec 2014 and it was something that still sticks with me even 9 years on. It was such a powerful series of articles viewing the accident from all different angles. Definitely worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,201 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Top Gear is probably very old hat now, bunch of lads with dad bods, and magazines, blast from the past...who reads those??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I work nights so am heading home just after 6am. The amount of drivers who overtake me in an urban area at speeds greatly exceeding the limit/road are high.

I'm not going 'slow', just keeping to a little under limit due to being tired nd aware of it but it's all ages, all genders all types of vehicles including bin lorries.

I don't think anything will get a certain number of drivers to go easy, it just seems to be too much trouble for them to bother...plus they're all brilliant drivers 🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Is there potential that the cost of living crisis may be having some level of impact here?

People may be willing to cut costs on the upkeep of their vehicle when finances are tight, particularly where tyres and brakes are concerned.

A tyre without sufficient thread depth can potentially be fatal in the wrong circumstances, similarly unsafe brakes can have an incredible impact.

Obviously pointing these potential issues out isn't a cop out for personal responsibility, but it would be awful to think that people could be ending up in these type of accidents as a result of these type of things.

Also the NCT system has been essentially broken over the last few years, lurching from one capacity crisis to another, to the point where unsafe vehicles are more likely to be on the roads than they might have been a few years ago.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Top Gear etc still on .. Amazon prime etc etc and the people influenced by it are still driving and influencing kids ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only enforcement, or at least fear of enforcement. If they thought - if he has a dashcam and reports me, and there's a good chance of points/ conviction, a significant majority wouldn't do it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

They won't hand out points or a conviction based on a reporters dash cam footage imo. Dashcam footage will only be used to report things like oor parking, going through red light etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is nothing imagined about the clowns that speed up in this manner.

I was actually.going to say in last post that if one of these idiots actually got their hands on a powerful car, they would create even more dangerous situations but thankfully its idiots in run of the mill stuff that attempt this.

Thanks for the advice though. I will be sure to keep you in mind and seek your advice when sourcing my next car. I might also seek some driving advice as clearly you know everything and are always right.

Glad to hear you are not hogging the overtaking lane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Jesus. Another baby. In a housing estate, what a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

firstly let me wish my sincere condolences to anyone bereaved in a RTA.

i'm just back from hols in France. we hired a car @ CDG. took the kids to Eurodisney, drove all around Paris, took in all the sights and visited a few other areas of France.

as most of you will know they are fast drivers, especially on motorways. but imo very skilful. thankfully we encountered no problems and witnessed nothing of any concern. a good SatNav is essential. my son is a very good map reader so that helped greatly.

after our return to Dublin you cannot but be shocked, surprised and amused at how people drive here in Ireland. pedestrians seems to have a death wish as do many cyclists. drivers have no sense of spatial awareness, drive at totally inappropriate speeds particularly on poor country roads. roundabout signalling is a game of "guess which way". tailgating is considered an entitlement if you drive a 4x4.

frankly i'm not surprised by such accidents. in fact it's surprising there aren't more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The people speeding have important work to do and places to get to ! They are important ! Then you meet them at the next set of traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Horrific. Every parents' nightmare.

Earlier in the thread I suggested the penalty for killing a child in a 30kmph/Residential area should be 15 years in prison. Maybe more.

Something very wrong on our roadways at the moment. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

They can and do.

I've been on the reporting side and the enforcement side.

Both ended in conviction, but the kicker is the person reporting has to make a statement and be ready to go to court. It's not enough to provide footage and asked the Garda to have a word with the driver, that footage has to be stood over and the vast vast majority of people don't want to give up any time to sit in court for a case to be adjourned numerous times before the suspect eventually pleas anyway for a fine.

In the case I reported, I was nearly run off the road by a car overtaking me at a bend and cutting in at last second due to oncoming traffic. She then proceeded to do this to 2 other cars and attempted a 4th. Passed on footage, made statement and eventually in court for dangerous driving. Suspect plead to careless driving saying she was late for college and judge, despite being all fire and brimstone initially, backed off and gave her a €500 fine and no ban and because of the plea involved the judge never even got to see the dash cam footage 🤷

round our way some parents think the local roads are a playground. scooters, trikes, mini-tractors etc. litter the roads. they seem to encourage their kids, some of who can barely walk to treat it as such. but then when an accident happens, it's all the driver's fault. very illogical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’ve had many FCPNs issued by Gardai based on helmetcam footage of drivers using their phones,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Kids playing on their street how awful. It was normal until not too long ago. Drive very slowly in these places and everyone will be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Another thing that really pisses me off is when a vehicle is turning left and idiots behind swing out on to the middle of the road into oncoming traffic, instead of waiting the massive total of a few seconds until it has turned in. I have been the first car behind many vehicles doing a left turn and had nutcases behind me pulling out and passing me just as the vehicle in front was turning in left or had already turned in. Selfish inconsiderate stupid f...ing idiots.

We've had those in the past, but I don't believe they really change behaviours. The last one the RSA did with the dad who came across his own daughter drowned in a ditch as a result of the actions of an unaccompanied learner got huge pushback, that it wasn't fair to be blaming the poor driver.

We don't need advertising campaigns. We don't need appeals. We need enforcement.

No one is bound to their wheelchair, it's a fairly offensive term.

They've done those ads in the past, with no obvious benefit. The main effect is to perpetuate negative stereotypes about the lives of people with disabilities.

We don't need advertising campaigns. We don't need appeals. We need enforcement.

I was going to say the same thing to you, funnily enough.

I'm not the Minister of Finance. Is it only my contributions that have to be accompanied by a cost benefit analysis, or does that apply to everyone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Even from that picture that place looks like it has appalling sight lines, no excuses for speeding in that environment.

What a horrible tragedy.

Glazers Out!

i do. but parents need to take some responsibility also. i have young children, but there is no way they are allowed play on the roads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Speed has such an impact on outcomes. Drivers need to slow down more, and laws need to be enforced.

Especially for pedestrian victims.

Source here.

what a scurrilous comment! you know nothing of the circumstances of that accident, and to try and use the tragic death of a 3 y/o is beneath contempt. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement

The actual scurrilous comment is your 'death wish' comment. Which pedestrian or cyclist deaths relate to death wishes so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement