Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benelli mag extension

Options
  • 29-08-2023 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi guys , I currently have a benelli M1 that I bought that came with a mag extension on it , I'm looking to remove the extension now and when I unscrewed the end cap the tube didn't come of it seems like it's stuck on with some type of glue. Any suggestions how can go about removing?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

So if I am reading this right, you want to remove the tube that's under the forestock as well??? That's not supposed to come off.

FIK that's pinned into the receiver, and your extension should be simply a tube of X in's length that is held by a threaded hollow collet that holds both the extension and acts as the barrel retaining nut, if that makes sense? IOW does it look something like this picture esp with the strange-looking washer next to the mag reducer[silvery nail-looking thing] ? That is the actual mag spring end cap

If yes, you will have to get an original M1 end cap that is solid to keep the whole barrel y in place If you want to replace that assembly, which might be fun.As Benelli Europe , belonging to Beretta is not known for good customer service or parts resupply. Brownells might be your answer there.

If it is just to reduce the ammo capacity down to a three-shot unrestricted. Then you can get a Benelli mag reducer pretty easily,or even get one made up as all it is a washer with a solid bit of rod that goes down the mag tube to limit its capacity. Bit fiddley to install with the odd mag cap/clip washer thingy and having it all under pressure from the magazine spring.

If it is just the extension you are trying to get off the main mag tube then it could be anything holding it on from rust to God knows what . I try soaking it with a mix of 50 brake fluid and 50 Acetone, [nail polish remover] Found this is one of the best penetrator mixes if it is rust or Loctite it will break it down. Shake well until you have a strawberry shake colour. Apply in small amounts with a syringe or pipette so it disappears into the threads. Leave it upside down overnight and see if you have any movement.If not try it for a day.of soaking.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hard to know for sure without knowing what type of glue it is. But if it was Loctite thread locker or similar, Acetone is a pretty good way to break it down. You can also get specific deborders for commercial CA glues (superglues).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭johnogog88

Hi , thanks for the response. I don't think it's connected to the reciever there seems to be a joint where the tube running from the reciever meets the extension tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

My end cap is the same as that but when I unscrewed it the tube stayed on. Is there anyway of checking if it's connected to the reciever. There is a link say around where the endcap is that looks to me like it's connected there but I can't be sure :)

• Advertisement

Any chance of some pics?That would make what your problem is a lot clearer?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sorry for the delay in pictures. :)

That is some DIY construction by the looks of it.Someone got a threaded tube and a collar threaded it onto the original mag tube and added some adhesive to keep it all together.

So you need to get this collar loose to remove this extension,a shorter mag spring,and a end cap for the M1. As to what the glue holding it together is is another thing .Try some gentle heat and see if that loosens anything with some penetrating oil.

I just seen this video it seems to be identical to his and he removes it on the reciever end

https://youtu.be/Sm-9gU9tGHU?si=JE8Fsz2GiQFl2_Ey

Ok,but he is still stuck for an end cap to keep the barrel on with a shorter mag tube?

My mistake on the DIY job on the mag,that looks like a factory job going by the video.So is that actually supposed to be disassembled any further as the joining collet isnt threaded or looks like it has any tool notches to take it apart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Video confirms it’s held with loctite. Try gentle heat and or acetone.

After an afternoon of research, I have a feeling that this is an early 7plus1 shot Benelli straight from the factory and that extension tube doesn't come off the magazine. Otherwise, that vid would have possibly shown the collet being removed and the extension being removed. Benelli did offer the M1 in a 7plus 1 and a 4plus 1 version. It that is the case and the OP wants just a short 4plus1 tube,he is going to have to hunt up a shorter mag tube someplace.If he just wants it in an unrestricted 3-shot,the easiest option is just to get the Benelli tube limiter and put that in and live with the longer tube? Just be careful with doing any pulling or heating, its apparently aluminium and mightn't be the strongest feature.

Thanks for all the help and research guys really appreciate it :)

Your where spot on I was talking to a guy from the states who told me there the factory tubes not meant to come off and can only be removed at the reciever.👍

Advertisement