Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No New Contract For Vera Pauw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That can't be serious? Since when does weightlifting cause ACL injuries? Does she have qualifications in sport science?

Why does she need to have qualifications in sports science?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Good point. Your post prompted me to check how we had gone in the previous 2 qualification campaigns as I was under the assumption there had been as massive improvemnt.

Comparing 2023 qualification

to 2019

and 2015

Its not actually clear that there has been much progression at all under Pauw. Interestingly Slovakia were in our group on all 3 occasions so give the opportunity for drirect comparision.

2015- No Pauw: Home 2-0, Away 3-0

2019 - No Pauw: Home 2-1, Away 2-0

2023 Pauw: Home 1-1, Away 1-0

In 2023 there was more groups than the previous 2 and pre-qualification eliminated free points teams like Georgia. In the previous two world cups we would have been in the mix for a play-off had the same qualification system applied as we would likely have had slightly easier group and there would have been more places available.

In fact it looks more like the emergence or recognised top class players like Denise O'Sullivan and Katie McCabe that moved Ireland from the ranks of also rans to play-off contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

The bandwagoners would never know this though. To them Pauw is the love child of Pep Guardiola and Sir Alex Ferguson.

They seem to be under the impression that the Irish women were a team of waifs and strays who’d struggle to identify a football.

Ireland loves a bandwagon, the passengers on this one are by far the dumbest I’ve ever seen.

Its not the fact of lifting weights that can increase acl's in female players, its the how. Building up of the muscle structure around the knee is an important factor in prevention of injuries and this is the type of input that someone with a qualification in physiology can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

"I think there were many areas that could have been better, yes, under her tenure," Caldwell said, when asked about the professionalism.

"I think our preparations for games could have been better, physical preparation, opponent analysis, match tactics, in-game match tactics, changes, systems of play.

I dont know - when something is black and white, and then a load of people say 'yeah but'.....I dont really know what to say back except present the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

Her job is to manage a team of professional footballers to achieve the best results possible. Imagine being deluded enough, or being such a control freak, to think that having compete control of nutrition ahead of trained professionals is going to increase the teams chances of achieving the best results.

I mean if she's going to be insisting on how the players train to physically prepare foproffession sports some type of qualification in the area would be useful.

Her style of management sounds like what you'd have gotten back in the 1980s.

Again people are missing the point.

Vera Pauw never claimed to a sports scientist, but she does inform herself with published studies on ACL injuries particularly in women and by consulting sports physios.

Professional footballers are given a strict training regime for a reason, if they decide to head off extra training or pumping iron unsupervised, then that's when injuries can occur.

Weight Lifting 101, don't lift weights when you are fatigued, that goes for everyone not just female footballers.

I mean if she's going to be insisting on how the players train to physically prepare foproffession sports some type of qualification in the area would be useful.

It's almost like she has this ability to talk and consult with physios and sports science.

Her style of management sounds like what you'd have gotten back in the 1980s.

Well no in the 80s sports science didn't really exist to the degree it does now, so you probably would have encouraged to build upper mass strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nonsense I'd say she's a lot more qualified for the role than you .

How dare she suggest that they don't do weight lifting with documented link's to ACL injuries,

How dare she suggest dietary requirements,

It's her Job !!

I'd love to know what physio or sports scientist told her that weightlifting should be banned. 😂 Not one with any qualifications anyway.

• Advertisement

So your telling me professional athletes should not do weightlifting as it as "documented links to ACL injuries"?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There are a lot of contradictions in that post.

It is obvious to anyone Caldwell has overstepped the mark giving such an interview, that is unprecedented stuff. It is clear the Caldwell was a major factor in trying to undermine the authority of her former manager Pauw. The most successful managers in football are ones who have control. If that control is undermined the manager is finished.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It's obvious to you. It's clear Vera didn't have the support or backing of the vast majority of players, and even coaching staff in the Irish team. The most successful managers are the ones who have the support and confidence of their players. As I said, this in the 1980s were a mangers job is tomachirve success by controlling their players. They achieve success by having the backing and support of their players, but when players lose confidence in their manager then their time is up. Vera seems to have lost the confidence of her players due to her standards not being high enough.

Again you are rather remedial in your understanding of what actually happened, which seems to a theme.

Unsurprised extra training including weight lifting was banned.

They were allowed work with weights within their programme.

Adequate recover is a documented preventative in serious injury like ACL.

It's no different in the mens game.

Well if your hypothesis it true and the majority of players lost confidence in Pauw then your post is an oxymoron. Because Pauw did achieve success she got Ireland to a world cup finals.

Only for a silly error by Irish defender Marissa Sheva, who hand balled in a panic against Australia, And Connolly's OG against Canada. Ireland might even have gone further. It was not Pauw that made these errors, it was the players.

Why would you do something that increases risk of serious injuries.....

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

Well, they qualified for the World Cup , in spite of having The Millstore of Vera Pauw

weighing them down.

Just imagine what they are going to achieve now that they have jettisoned her?

Roll on the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How are you struggling with this so badly?

Yes most definitely some athletes should never lift weights depending on their build/medical history/playing attributes

Would Sheva not have made that inexcusable handball against Australia, and would Connolly not have scored that OG against Canada if Pauw was not manager?

Those are basic football errors by the players, nothing to do with the manager!

It makes Caldwell's arguement seem even more nonsensical. As the errors were not tactical but caused by the players.

Anyway I think the players such as Caldwell have now made right eejits of themselves. It is likely to come back and haunt them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FCTwenteBenson

If you read my original comment properly you will see that I thought that the weightlifting ban was wrong myself, however, as pointed out here by other posters she banned it to try prevent the occurence of ACL injuries in her squad which as also pointed out here by other posters is a massive problem in the womens game. Regardless she is a FIFA accredited coach who has managed national sides as well as club sides and is married to a professional coach who worked with Dick Advocaat as part of the Dutch mens coaching team so it isn't a strecth to imagine that she knows a thing or two about coaching.

• Advertisement

As you say, the best managers have control. Therefore Pauw was not the "best manager". The job of a manager in any walk of life is to create the environment. If they dont, it is their failure. They create the environment and select the team so if the environment turns toxic its on them.

And if it happens repeatedly with different management its on the executive - eg. Man Utd.

As has bee shown, their performance level has been pretty stable for about 8 years, there were just more WC places available this time round

But unlike Man United (who are underachieving) Pauw achieved her remit by getting to the world cup. It seems very odd to say that any failure is on Pauw and any achievement is on the players. If that was the case teams would not need managers at all.

It's actually your rather remedial understanding of what actually happened that, and that's certainty not the first time either.

She has a issue with weightlifting full stop, nothing to do whether it is unsupervised or not. Her attitude around weightlifting is one that is commonly seen with people who have no clue on the subject.

Players need to be football ready. What many clubs and players used to do, and some still do, for instance, is a lot of weight-lifting. What I am looking for is the ‘snappiness’, dynamics, being able to play an intense game – and the ones who can do that are not usually the ones with the biggest muscles.”

Again, further insight into Vera's attitude

But the moment they get involved with personal trainers, sports scientists coming into clubs and putting them on squats and weights and all the stuff, that will not help you as a football player.

Squats won't help you as a football player? LoLololol. But yes, obviously proffessional athletesshould not get invovld with personal trainers and sports scientists. Instead they should listen to Lord Vera and do e everything she says. 😂

Again, show me a manager in the mens game who thinks squats will not help a football player.

Vera got Ireland to a world cup... do yell me, how goals did Vera score in the world cup qualifiers? Or is it a case that only Vera gets the plaudits for the success while the errors are the fault of the players?

How are you struggling with this so badly? Why have we suddenly jumped from all athletes to some athletes? I could understand that if Vera's position was that some of the players shouldn't do weightlifting because of their medical history. But it isn't.

Jesus, thats quite the hot take. 😂 ban weightlifting for all professional athletes as you don't want to increase there risk of serious injury. 😂

Well Vera herself she doesn't like weightlifting because it causes "bigger muscles". But let's take a look at her argument about banning it because of ACL injuries. Has weightlifting being shown to cause an increase in ACL injuries? I'd be fascinated to see what research Vera has seen to formulate her opinion because I can't find any.

The problem is there's a big difference between being a great football coach and being a great sports scientist. There's a reason professional, and even amateur sports trams don't have their fitness regime devised by the manager. Jurgen Klopp, Pep, and I doubt even Dick Advocst spend their timing devising fitness regimes for their players. They get actually qualified professionals to do that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

As some people have pointed out all teams have expert S&C coaches now, its not left up to the manager.

Also the amout of time that the International manager has the squad togather is very short, certainly not

enough time to improve their core skills.

So what's qualifications to tell her or anyone else what's right and what wrong for a professional international manager to coach her team .

So what if she's no interest on weightlifting,muscle mass add weight, weight which then causes stress on joints .

How much more plainly can it be put to you

How things can change in a few short months.

Here is Caldwell back in June laughing about how she sat down with Pauw to pick a week where she would be able to get married in Greece before the world cup.

The interview as also noticeable in that Caldwell said they overachieved to get to this stage already.

The point I am making is that Caldwell was claiming that the Irish team got there in spite of Pauw. I would argue the major errors in Ireland's three games were not tactical ones. But individual ones such as Connolly's OG v Canada and Sheva's silly handball v Australia. Things a manager cannot legislate for.

To me points to the managerial tactics being the cause of Ireland's success to get there, despite the poor quality of players relative to other nations (Katie McCabe aside) but even McCabe is more energy than technique. The counter attacking defensive style of Pauw served Ireland well.

I would argue that Caldwell's arguement could be spun on its head - that Pauw qualified Ireland for world cup despite having many average/poor players and despite having players such as Caldwell making trouble for the manager. That to me makes Pauw's achievement even more remarkable.

• Advertisement

ACL injuries or any knee injuries can be caused by weightlifting especially if the person does not have the proper form/technique or are using weights that are beyond their ability.

Advertisement