Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No New Contract For Vera Pauw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

When there is a failure of leadership how is the leader immune form blame? If it gets to the stage where a team is in revolt the coach has failed. Either in the atmosphere they created or in not dealing with disruptive influences correctly.

Where did I suggest the leader was immune from blame?

I pointed out the revolt happened because one of the most petulant players in modern history would not do what he was told on the pitch and called the coaches mother a whore and was sent home.

What was the correct way to deal with in your opinion?

Also they are French, protest is the first port of call.

There is also an emerging understanding in coaching circles that what works in men's Elite sport is not necessarily appropriate for female Elite sport. Coaches (both Male and Female) involved in elite female sport historically have transferred what has worked in mens sports and sought to apply it to female sport. One example is females in sport are 3-6 times more likely to suffer cruciate injuries due to both physiological and hormonal factors. Training then needs to be managed to reduce this risk. Women in sport are now understanding this and demanding that methods adjust to accordingly. It is their body and increasingly their livelihood after all. Ironically considering the discussion, Vera Pauw was one of the leaders in this respect. One of the complaints from the US investigation relates to Pauw allegedly excoriating players and coaches who wanted to push on with more physical training while she wanted to manage the load better to reduce injury risk.

Vildas coaching career has been exclusively involved in women's football, absolutely no evidence to suggest the frequency of ACL injuries went up in any team he has coached.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its no surprise by the FAI.

Qualifying for major tournaments has the following advantages :

1) Better seeding

2) more prize money

3) Good sponsorship

This woman got the ladies team all those things.

The women's team may well end up like the men's.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

that is what i said. well done.

reading level . pre school.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The FAI got a kick in the arse?

Well we haven't qualified for a men's WC since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭brokenbad

If ever a picture painted a thousand words....this is the money shot. Clear to see who is boss here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Up until the start of this season I was coaching about 2 leagues below intermediate level in the Leinster Senior League.

Ive coached children’s teams up to U-18 in the past. All communications regarding U-18s, from training/match times, issues with players attitudes, playing time, or any other issues were directly to the players parents, as per the FAIs own child safeguarding policies. Parents can get gobby, I could deal with that, but I would never single out a player, disparage them about their attitude and then take it upon myself to ban them for playing for any other team in the club unless it was an extremely serious incident, and after I had discussed it thoroughly with their parents.

There is a reason we, and every other FA, have child safeguarding policies that MUST be adhered to. FFS, we had a 17yo goalie that I brought up to the 1st team squad last year and we had to provide him with separate changing facilities as he was not allowed to change with adults.

Tolands father has been extremely level headed in all of this. He hasn’t demanded anything. He asked for some independent mediation to find out what the issue was and to work it out. Hardly the actions of a “gobby lunatic”.

You’re defending Domenech who picked players based on their star sign 🤣🤣🤣 Ended Robert Pires career because he was a Scorpio. He was a crackpot

“The France coach once admitted that a player's international career could be at threat thanks to astrogy and it seems that Scorpios are not the only sign under the spotlight.

"When I have got a Leo in defence, I've always got my gun ready, as I know he's going to want to show off at one moment or another and cost us," he confessed.”

• Advertisement

We funnel money/attention into women's varients of popular men's sports regardless of participation and standard. Annoys the hell out of me as a sports fan.

The hockey team is the same example that I use. Global sport, girls playing it from a young age, schools competitions, competing with the world's best... And nothing. Why? Because men's hockey isn't that popular here

Compare that with women's rugby. Terrible standard, most clubs have no senior ladies team, zero underage structures, most women taking it up far too late, and going backwards. Media coverage abounds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

'My position became very challenging when executives in the FAI, not technical football coaches, effectively took my seat and spoke to staff members and players regarding their roles in the team before and after the World Cup. My advice - coming from my knowledge and experience - was often disregarded and not respected. In my opinion, no head coach in the world would accept interference of the executives in technical football affairs.

fai been fai

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

"In my opinion, no head coach in the world would accept interference of the executives in technical football affairs."

Yet she waited around to be told her contract wasnt being renewed rather than telling the FAI where to stick their job. Something very strange about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No suprise coming from the fai at this stage I'd love to see it completely abolished and replaced with a new professional organisation, they just keep on messing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Perhaps she wasn’t offered a new contract because she objected to the interference. Just a thought.

To decide if any key manager or senior official will be offered an extension to their existing contract or offered a new one there has to be a review. A review involves talking to many people and getting their views. Such a review should be formal maybe this was informal. This is before the WC, when VP said there was a verbal that she would be offered a contract. Is it those discussions she is complaining about or some more direct intervention?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not sure I see what the problem is here.

It has been a given for decades in the mens game that when a manager loses the dressing room then he is a dead man walking. And its pure common sense, if he can't get the players on side, if the players don't want to perform for him, then he isn't much use as a manager. Its literally the point of the job in the first place.

So here we have Vera Pauw. A review has shown that effectively none of the players want her to continue. There is only one way that scenario should end up and that is the way it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Hard to know but don't most managers make sure they get a new contract before they head off to the major tournament?

It's clear something happened prior to the WC. A contract was supposed to be coming and didn't. Anyway, that proves that villifying KMc is bull***t.

VP concludes that the decision was already made at that point.

• Advertisement

But who is saying that none team didn't want her ,it's not a democracy but it does seem like a single individual got the hump and now the manger who got them to the world cup gets dumped,she should have been allowed to continue and build on the achievement of getting them to the world cup in the first place,who's going to want to come into a set up knowing one player disagrees with some you say or do and your then sacked the fai haven't exactly been able to attract world class management to the men's team ,I can only imagine how bad this is going to end up going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Absolutely, it's kinda weird to see the support here and elsewhere for Pauw. Pointless for the FAI to give her a new contract, when the players clearly have misgivings. That's how it is now, the days of the 'gaffer' rule are gone as Steve Staunton found out years ago.

If she gets you to a world cup and hasn't done anything wrong bar have a some kind of disagreement with one player,it's not the premier league, once you give in once to that one princess then everyone else gets the boot on a whim , rather than building on the success pauw brought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Many times a top player has been dropped and team can do fine without them. A group of players (or people in any setup) do not always know what is best. I'm not saying that is what happened here.

Bottom line, team didn't really perform that well in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

People are supporting Vera Pauw because she is a decent professional coach who's been shafted.

The kernel of the issue seems to stem from the rather un professional behaviour of players who's private life and relationships are causing issues within the squad.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Nothing good will come of this for the following reasons.

Ireland have lost a manager who is actually a very good coach, when I hear her interviewed there is no doubt she knows her stuff.

Any potential new manager worth their salt will not touch this job due to the power the players have.

There is no way 100% all the players wanted pauw gone, that means there will be a divide going forward.

The pressure the players will be under now to perform will be intense.

If you review the Irish players honestly, that was some achievement by pauw , mostly very very average Irish players

I am going to enjoy watching this fall apart.

The report I heard on Off the ball, was that a review had been done after the world cup and that the almost unanimous feedback was that nobody wanted her to return. That there were multitudes of stories relating to things like poor tactics and training, things like never practising corners for example.

Some people want this to be about one or two players but everything I've heard says that there was basically nobody speaking up for Pauw, and everybody wanted rid.

By the way, the suggestion that she could build on the world cup seems rather misguided. Nobody liked her or wanted her there, so just how was she going to build on anything?

I predict that when all the details come out, the people talking about "princesses" will have to keep their heads down for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Was there no review 2 years ago when they failed to qualify ? Why did this not come out than?

We all know why, because it is not one bit true. No normal independent right thinking person believes a word of it .

Advertisement